Need an WiFi Access Point for my barn.

cparktd

n3wb
Reaction score
New barn... (garage/shop/storage building 30'x80') all metal... Wifi sometimes reached the area before the build but is a no-workie inside the building. I have a wifi 6 TP-link AX 6000 router and a TP-link 18 port GB switch in the house.

Yes there are other / cheaper ways to do, extenders / mesh etc. Cat cable ruled out due to lightning damage concerns, so, this is the route I decided on so we go from here...

I have bought 2 strand OM3 multimode direct bury fiber and media converters. That should get me a nice big "fat pipe" to the barn.

For NOW... I need recommendations for a good AP for in the barn. OR maybe I hang it on the outside of the barn to cover the back yard better while still serving the inside well. Make and model? Wifi 6 AC desired, or AX. probabally an outdoor version due to dust and temp range. Barn has no climate control for now.

Future plans include a security camera build out for the house and barn. Maybe a dozen cameras max. I had the crazy? idea of putting/hiding a NVR in the barn so it would be impossible to find basically. My GB+ rated network should provide plenty of band width should it not?

Thanks all!
IMG_3346D.jpegIMG_3365D (1).jpegIMG_3394D.jpeg

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Cat cable ruled out due to lightning damage concerns,
I agree to @mat200 with this.

Use fibre optic cable in conduit.
You can buy switches with SFP module slots and then use a fibre suitable one. Or there is standalone 'converter' boxes that convert back to an Ethernet cable.

Fibre optic is a thin strand of glass with a light/laser to pulse with the signal. Complete electronic isolation.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cat cable ruled out due to lightning damage concerns, so, this is the route I decided on so we go from here...

I have bought 2 strand OM3 multimode direct bury fiber and media converters. That should get me a nice big "fat pipe" to the barn.
I would agree that's a good idea in TN running out to a metal barn. :cool:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Consider a Ubiquiti Nanostation LocoM2(US) as an AP for inside and outside your barn. I've installed over a dozen as transparent layer 2 bridges bridges between houses and shops/barns and after about 8 years I have never had a single bad blip. I'd put one inside in far corner first, pointed toward the door; it'll flood the inside of that barn and some may get out. You may have to turn it's transmit power down as well.

According to the specs, it's rated for operating at 167 degrees F, I'll bet the ceiling of that TN barn will hit 125 at least.

You can configure to operate as an AP, disable AirMax, disable WDS and set channel width at 20MHz so phones, laptops, tablets, etc. with stand Wi-Fi can pick it up.

EDIT @ 0752 CT: If you need to penetrate some vegetation with that outside unit (acting as an AP, not a bridge to house), consider instead its big brother the Nanostation M(US), not the smaller 'Loco' as it has more transmit power/receive sensitivity; but pretty sure the Loco will suit inside the barn as an AP.

Last edited:

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
latency is the issue not bandwidth when setting up a camera network. That is why I will always suggest them being separate from the general network.
Typical bandwidth is 12-15 Mbps per camera, but connection should be less than 30ms latency. In hard wire networking, past the switch count of 2 in daisy chain is going to have problems.

If you didn't have the oc cable already bought, I would just suggest running 2 sets of nanobeam 5AC for up to 32 cameras + internet or 3 sets of nanobeam 5AC for up to 64 cameras + internet.

Depending on the oc media conversion hardware, you might be able to run 2-3 ip stacks.

On the internet wireless router, it might be easier to get one that has connectors on the antenna, and run one of the antenna ports on an externally mounted antenna.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
BTW I like the remote NVR idea.
But if you want to be stealthy like I do in my high security applications like banks, check cashing places, pawnshops, and government buildings, have multiple NVRs one in plain sight the other one hidden. That away they think they took your camera recorder. :cool:

jmltech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I went with an Engenius P2P bridge. With clear line of site at about 100’, I’m getting great ~800mb speeds as a bridge using ASUS AiMesh routing to my workshop. I thought about putting fiber in, but this was a much more simple solution.
Engenius ENH500

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm using the AP mode on my Asus RT-AX55 here at the house. It's connected( via Ethernet) to a Verizon 5g modem. All the phones and tablets connect to the AP wifi SSID. at any given time there are 4-8 devices are connected, ( plus my DVR, and my BI PC (both hardwired).
And it's working.
not sure if a dedicated AP will have more broadcast strength....but this is just one guys experience switching a router to an AP and having decent results. There is no Wifi however in the back yard. too many obstacles and distance. not a deal breaker for me.