Need camera recommendation

g0dfath3r

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

What's the best bullet camera I can find under 100$?
It should be waterproof and support POE.
I will not be using a NVR but I do have a NAS on my network.

Thank you guys
:)

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
It would help if you could list some requirements, like fixed focal length vs. zoom and audio capability, for example. Are you totally sure you need the bullet form factor? Opening the door to a turret would expand the field of choices. For under $100 I'm afraid you might be restricting yourself to a hacked chinese market camera, which is not necessarily bad if you understand the limitations of not being able to upgrade the firmware and possibly not being able to use it with an nvr. I have several dahua chinese market cameras that are equal in performance and quality to their non-chinese market counterparts. I can't speak for other brands or models I don't have. If you can stretch your budget to $125 you can open the door to some of the starlight models that give a much better night image and upgradeable firmware.

g0dfath3r

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your quick response.

Turret would be fine too.
I don't need anything fancy, just good quality video recording at day and at night.
As I mentioned, I need it to be waterproof, support POE and support Video recording to my NAS.

Wish I had more money to spend on these, but 100 is the absolute top I can spend on each.

Thanks again!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Read it.
Didn't find there an answer to what's the best camera I can find under 100$ that meets my requirements.
Thanks anyway.
you didnt read it.
first you dont want a bullet camera..look at a turret form factor.
you can get the dahua starlight fixed turret for 100 via slow shipping. 125 fast shipping. If you penny pinch you will regret it later.

g0dfath3r

n3wb
Reaction score
you didnt read it.
first you dont want a bullet camera..look at a turret form factor.
you can get the dahua starlight fixed turret for 100 via slow shipping. 125 fast shipping. If you penny pinch you will regret it later.
I read most of it and I do understand that Chinese market models might have security issues, quality issues and they are not upgradable ,
but If I'm getting 90% of the quality for 50% of the price for example, I prefer the cheaper one, as I will setup a different VLAN for the cameras and just need them to
record good quality video. About the firmware, as long as they work properly, I won't be upgrading it.

The question is what is the price/benefit ratio difference between the Chinese market models or the international ones.

I read about the problems with bullet type cameras, so Thank you for that.
I don't want a bullet camera no more :)

What is the "dahua starlight fixed turret for 100 via slow shipping" model you suggested and where can I find it?

Thank you dear.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I read most of it and I do understand that Chinese market models might have security issues, quality issues and they are not upgradable ,
but If I'm getting 90% of the quality for 50% of the price for example, I prefer the cheaper one, as I will setup a different VLAN for the cameras and just need them to
record good quality video. About the firmware, as long as they work properly, I won't be upgrading it.

The question is what is the price/benefit ratio difference between the Chinese market models or the international ones.

I read about the problems with bullet type cameras, so Thank you for that.
I don't want a bullet camera no more :)

What is the "dahua starlight fixed turret for 100 via slow shipping" model you suggested and where can I find it?

Thank you dear.
Don't buy China region.. search dahua Starlight fixed turret

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Subject to the points I raised in post #2 of the thread, I can easily recommend the two dahua chinese market models that I use: The HFW-4431R-Z varifocal, and the HFW-4431M fixed focus. Both are bullets and do not have audio capability. I noticed some of the sales pages for these models state "international version", which is not true. The 4431R-Z has an integrated mounting base, while the 4431M may or may not include an aftermarket mount depending on the seller. If you're in the USA, you can look for "USA stock" for faster shipping. epacket from china can take 2 to 4 weeks. I should also mention that these are "gray market" items that do not carry a factory warranty, leaving you totally at the mercy of the seller if there's a problem. I've been fortunate that all of my chinese market dahuas have been problem free, but you're always at the risk of "drawing the short straw". (When I say "problem free" I'm not including firmware bugs that I've been able to work around. "All" of the cameras have firmware bugs, no matter what market they're meant for).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Avoid these 4mpChina cams if you value good night and low light capability...

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
It would help if you could list some requirements, like fixed focal length vs. zoom and audio capability, for example. Are you totally sure you need the bullet form factor? Opening the door to a turret would expand the field of choices. For under $100 I'm afraid you might be restricting yourself to a hacked chinese market camera, which is not necessarily bad if you understand the limitations of not being able to upgrade the firmware and possibly not being able to use it with an nvr. I have several dahua chinese market cameras that are equal in performance and quality to their non-chinese market counterparts. I can't speak for other brands or models I don't have. If you can stretch your budget to $125 you can open the door to some of the starlight models that give a much better night image and upgradeable firmware.
Hey Tiger, I have been testing out Nellys GoSwift $99 dollar camera, I know its not a turret but seems to be a all around decent camera for $99 shipped. I will be doing a review on it soon. So far so good with petty decent Night vision. Its a fixed 3.6mm

GoSwift.jpg GoSwift.jpg NVR_GoSwift_main_20181021201328.jpg

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is one more in total darkness, the camera is about 35 feet from the steps, not bad for a 3.6mm cam. I would at this point suggest talking to @Sean Nelson for more info on it because its so new, they will also have great support.

Attachments

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The GoSwift camera does look like it has a lot going for it. Nothing I can take seriously for myself because I'm tied to a dahua nvr, a problem that the OP doesn't have. Seeing it reminds me of a major gripe I have with dahua bullets: Their large size. All the models I have are about 20% camera and 80% empty case.

g0dfath3r

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is one more in total darkness, the camera is about 35 feet from the steps, not bad for a 3.6mm cam. I would at this point suggest talking to @Sean Nelson for more info on it because its so new, they will also have great support.
Video quality looks great.
I was going to order the Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE
and Now I'm not sure what to do
:smash:

Last edited:

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
The GoSwift camera does look like it has a lot going for it. Nothing I can take seriously for myself because I'm tied to a dahua nvr, a problem that the OP doesn't have. Seeing it reminds me of a major gripe I have with dahua bullets: Their large size. All the models I have are about 20% camera and 80% empty case.
I have been running them through my Dahua Nvr with motion working just fine, They do have a small profile and I kind of like that because they do not stick out like a sore thumb as you were mentioning.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm highly dependent on tripwire in the cameras, which is why I'm stuck with dahua cameras. All my cameras are outdoor, and motion detection gives me enough false positives that it's hard to find the ones I want. Blowing leaves, cloud shadows, moving tree branches, etc. When you do the review, I'll be interested in seeing how the settings compare with dahua. Things like exposure, bit rate, etc. And if the web interface requires a plugin, or if they got around that somehow.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I will tell you this, it seems the Motion settings in the camera work very well if not better than my dahuas, There is a app I had to download to access the camera but the native gui was a bit of a learning curve but after messing around and some help from Nelly's its pretty stable. I have very little false positives in motion, I do not plan on leaving that cam guarding my front door only because a 3.6mm is not the camera for that job, I will go back to my Starlight VF for a bit more detail in the front, I do think if I had say 8 to 10 feet closer I would consider it.