need camera suggestions, blue iris beginner..

amorillo

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking to set up my home with about 5 cameras, beginning with one by the front door, my budget would be up to $150 per camera, but obviously the lower the better. just need good quality (to be able to identify a plate and make out a face).

I have heard about hikvision, but it appears that you cannot legally buy them yourself, or if you buy them of of ebay or amazon it might be a model that cannot be updated. is there a reputable place to buy them at an affordable price?? any camera recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

thank you for any replies.

Reaction score
You guys should just pin a post "I need camera recommendations" and then just use Looneys post there. I came here a few weeks ago and that's pretty much what I've landed on. Then you could just point them to it.

BubbaJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You guys should just pin a post "I need camera recommendations" and then just use Looneys post there. I came here a few weeks ago and that's pretty much what I've landed on. Then you could just point them to it.
Now that is a good idea!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking to set up my home with about 5 cameras, beginning with one by the front door, my budget would be up to $150 per camera, but obviously the lower the better. just need good quality (to be able to identify a plate and make out a face).

I have heard about hikvision, but it appears that you cannot legally buy them yourself, or if you buy them of of ebay or amazon it might be a model that cannot be updated. is there a reputable place to buy them at an affordable price?? any camera recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

thank you for any replies.
Welcome Amorillo,

The most important thing will be camera placement, you want to have a good chance of getting a great straight on facial ID image. This means the cameras will need to be typically be mounted no higher than 8 feet ( typically most people use 6-8 feet high, I have one at my front door at 5 feet high ) ALSO, the cameras need to get enough pixels on target - for a straight on facial ID a typical standard mentioned here is 100 ppf.

Do take a look at the notes from Looney2ns - lots of great information on this.