Need Camera to Observe Nest of a Great Horned Owl

Reaction score
We need an IP camera to record video and snapshots of a great horned owls nest. We've been using a Sharx SCNC3905 but it has been unreliable. We need a weatherproof, outdoor camera 1080p, Wi-Fi, Night Vision, Mobile and Web access. PTZ would be nice not essential. Reliable IS essential. The camera will be 5' to 10' from the nest.

What do you recommend? Thank you!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
We need an IP camera to record video and snapshots of a great horned owls nest. We've been using a Sharx SCNC3905 but it has been unreliable. We need a weatherproof, outdoor camera 1080p, Wi-Fi, Night Vision, Mobile and Web access. PTZ would be nice not essential. Reliable IS essential. The camera will be 5' to 10' from the nest.

If reliability is essential forget wifi...you need to power the camera anyway with a wire...there are lots of options discussed on the site...get varifocal cam so you can zoom in precisely..

Reaction score
The problem we have had is not connectivity. We have a Ubiquiti access point that has never failed us. Our problem has been with the camera itself failing us several times. I want to stick with W-Fi, if possible and get a camera that can handle the weather and the salt water we have on the Intracoastal Waterway in southeastern North Carolina. Thank you for your reply.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem we have had is not connectivity. We have a Ubiquiti access point that has never failed us. Our problem has been with the camera itself failing us several times. I want to stick with W-Fi, if possible and get a camera that can handle the weather and the salt water we have on the Intracoastal Waterway in southeastern North Carolina. Thank you for your reply.
Any camera can be made wifi using a cheap wifi bridge...this expands your options greatly...look at the dahua motorized varifocals from 100-200...

Reaction score
Any camera can be made wifi using a cheap wifi bridge...this expands your options greatly...look at the dahua motorized varifocals from 100-200...
Hello Fenderman. I appreciate your help.

I like what I have read about the Dahua Varifocals very much. Looks like the right way to go. Thanks for that.

I agree adding a Wi-Fi bridge will result in more camera alternatives, but at an opportunity cost of creating a greater possibility for problems with two products this way? Once this camera is mounted and the owls are in the nest we can't physically handle the equipment. It will be about 15' up and looking at the owl nest. Last year we were burned by the current camera, once for example, losing the ability to auto switch to night-vision and back to daylight in the morning.

Also, I need a camera that will focus at a short distance without a lot of distortion, maybe as close as 5'. I am not finding that spec. Do you have a sense for how closely these cameras can get a sharp focus?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Hi Steve,

Checkout:
Osprey Cam in Finland
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

It's from one of our members
Offtopic:
Hey, I'm actually the person responsible of the streaming project mentioned above. :) Feel free to ask, if there is anything you want to know technically. PM or thread?
More info
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello NordicCameras. I am new to this site and I'm having trouble learning to use it. I have no idea how to do a PM yet. I'm not even sure this message will get to you, but I hope it does.

I understand you are responsible for the osprey cam setup that was referred to me. If so, it seems you have done what I am trying to do with a great horned owl nest. My camera will be close to the nest, maybe just 5 feet away. We prefer to go Wi-Fi.

What are you using? What do you WISH you were using. Can you make a recommendation for my project?

Thank you very much.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for your help. This forum is turning out to be a tremendous help. I need to learn to use it better!
HI Steve,

Indeed we have a lot of great people here helping us all learn and sharing their experiences. Do take a look at the youtube channel from the video posted by NordicCameras - some very impressive footage. Looks like you can learn a lot from them with regards to their setup.

Reaction score
Hi! :) What would you like to know? You can't go wrong, if you take a >IP67 rated camera with a varifocal lens.
It would be easier to advice, if you answer the following questions:
  • How much is your budget?
  • Does this system run on solar power or from the grid?
  • Do you want to have sound?
  • How easy it is to setup for the nest?
Last year we used Dahua's IPC-HDW5231Rs and HDBW5231Rs with external mics. We are already planning new setups for the next season and might upgrade our cameras. In addition, we might add a panorama camera as a secondary stream. A lot of options are out of our reach, because connections are bad (5-10mbps upstream) and systems are running purely on solar power.

I think I need to write a blog post about this on our site, because I have got other queries as well.

Reaction score
"You can't go wrong, if you take a >IP67 rated camera with a varifocal lens."
Thank you very much for your reply. The issue seems to be that I can't get PoE to the camera, so I have to go Wi-Fi. The Wi-Fi signal is pretty good where the camera will be. We had a Sharx SCNC3905 until it failed last winter.

"How much is your budget?"

Currently, I would feel uncomfortable spending more than around $325.00 USD. It is not my money. I'm doing this for a friend.

"Does this system run on solar power or from the grid?"
We have A/C power near the camera location.

"Do you want to have sound?"
Yes, but we only care in capturing noises from the nest. We have no interest in audio output from a speaker in the camera.

"How easy it is to setup for the nest?"
We have a ladder set up for access to the camera. No problem.

"Last year we used Dahua's IPC-HDW5231Rs and HDBW5231Rs with external mics."
The Sharx cameras we used in the past produced images and videos on an on-board SD chip of acceptable quality. The problem is that the cameras did not last.

I tried Hikvision DS-2CD2100-IWS in both 4mm and 6mm lens versions, but the image was distorted and of poor quality. Part of the problem is that the camera will be about 5' - 8' from the lens. I may be wrong, but it seems to me the dome cameras tend to "bend" images, at least a fixed dome a short distance from the target.

"I think I need to write a blog post about this on our site, because I have got other queries as well."
I am all in on that!

I am anxious for your feedback. Thanks again!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
"Last year we used Dahua's IPC-HDW5231Rs and HDBW5231Rs with external mics."
I tried Hikvision DS-2CD2100-IWS in both 4mm and 6mm lens versions, but the image was distorted and of poor quality. Part of the problem is that the camera will be about 5' - 8' from the lens. I may be wrong, but it seems to me the dome cameras tend to "bend" images, at least a fixed dome a short distance from the target.

"I think I need to write a blog post about this on our site, because I have got other queries as well."
I am all in on that!

I am anxious for your feedback. Thanks again!
Hi Steve,

Perhaps you'd like to clarify: "Part of the problem is that the camera will be about 5' - 8' from the lens."

note the HDW5231 is a "eye ball" / turret camera thus not a dome and should work well
there are also bullet versions with greater zoom ability

Reaction score
Hi Steve,

Perhaps you'd like to clarify: "Part of the problem is that the camera will be about 5' - 8' from the lens."
note the HDW5231 is a "eye ball" / turret camera thus not a dome and should work well
there are also bullet versions with greater zoom ability
Hi Mat200,

My concern is to be able to focus on a subject that close (5'-8' from the lens). My objective is are clear images and videos of the animals.

I've been researching the HDW5231 and I like it a lot. I need to put a package together consisting of a PoE switch, bridge components and a camera. I am also considering a HDW5231R, and I am open to other recommendations.

The current plan is to employ a Ubiquiti TOUGHSwitch PoE 5-port switch, two Nanostation loco M5 bridge devices to connect the camera along with our existing Ubiquiti UniFI AP Outdoor 2x2 MIMO Access Point and existing Sharx SCNC3905 IP camera.

Criticisms and recommendations are welcome.

Thanks,

Steve

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Mat200,

My concern is to be able to focus on a subject that close (5'-8' from the lens). My objective is are clear images and videos of the animals.

I've been researching the HDW5231 and I like it a lot. I need to put a package together consisting of a PoE switch, bridge components and a camera. I am also considering a HDW5231R, and I am open to other recommendations.

The current plan is to employ a Ubiquiti TOUGHSwitch PoE 5-port switch, two Nanostation loco M5 bridge devices to connect the camera along with our existing Ubiquiti UniFI AP Outdoor 2x2 MIMO Access Point and existing Sharx SCNC3905 IP camera.

Criticisms and recommendations are welcome.

Thanks,

Steve
Hi Steve,

5-8' should be fine, with the varifocal you will be able to adjust it well.