Need gate camera recommendations please (intercom)

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I am just completing the installation of my fence/gate. The gate is about about 300' to my barn (where power and data are sourced), and I've run 12ga AC and two cat 5e gel-filled direct burial ethernet cables.

The gate opener is from Ghost Controls, and includes a wireless keypad at the entry point, and a magnetic vehicle detector about 100' inside the gate (for exiting vehicles). I've routed all electronics to a small slab which will get an 8-port POE+ switch, from which I can expand my growing collection of cameras along the property line.

The wireless keypad is intended to let trusted people in (i.e. neighbors, parcel, etc). But, rather than giving a code to every person who may come by (i.e. contractor quoting a job), I'd like to have a way to see who is at the gate AND converse with them. A Ring-like weather-proof add-on to the top of the keypad would be ideal - giving any unannounced visitor an ability to "knock".

I will include a label with my phone number, but where we live, only one carrier (VZ) has cell service.

TL;DR - is there a consumer-level (read: not-too-expensive) weather-rated IP-based intercom/camera that is reliable and would give guests the ability to punch through straight to my phone to announce their presence? I have Ring doorbell (from a previous address), but it requires doorbell AC, and only operates via wifi. Ideally, this intercom would be PoE, or at a minimum, have an ethernet port.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am just completing the installation of my fence/gate. The gate is about about 300' to my barn (where power and data are sourced), and I've run 12ga AC and two cat 5e gel-filled direct burial ethernet cables.

The gate opener is from Ghost Controls, and includes a wireless keypad at the entry point, and a magnetic vehicle detector about 100' inside the gate (for exiting vehicles). I've routed all electronics to a small slab which will get an 8-port POE+ switch, from which I can expand my growing collection of cameras along the property line.

The wireless keypad is intended to let trusted people in (i.e. neighbors, parcel, etc). But, rather than giving a code to every person who may come by (i.e. contractor quoting a job), I'd like to have a way to see who is at the gate AND converse with them. A Ring-like weather-proof add-on to the top of the keypad would be ideal - giving any unannounced visitor an ability to "knock".

I will include a label with my phone number, but where we live, only one carrier (VZ) has cell service.

TL;DR - is there a consumer-level (read: not-too-expensive) weather-rated IP-based intercom/camera that is reliable and would give guests the ability to punch through straight to my phone to announce their presence? I have Ring doorbell (from a previous address), but it requires doorbell AC, and only operates via wifi. Ideally, this intercom would be PoE, or at a minimum, have an ethernet port.
PROVANTAGE: GRANDSTREAM GDS3710 IP Video Door System Allows Sip Video Streaming
I have not used it myself...but it may be something to look into.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This thread covers some options: Front gate intercom or video camera?

Some of these products get pretty pricey. The grandstream isn't a bad option, the process for code entry is a bit silly. I suggest reading the manual. I forget what the back side of it looks like, but I seem to recall it may not be ideal for the typical gate.

The ring doorbell elite has Ethernet. Dahua makes intercoms too.

Many of the intercom options with keypads that are IP based have an access log to you can review code usage history. The POTS units can be converted to VoIP. Regular cameras will be better than whatever is built in to the intercom (if anything). Cameras with built in ALPR/ANPR could be used to automatically open the gate for certain people.

You can give UPS, FedEx, etc. a code to keep on file. You can do this on some of their websites or by phone. You may want a knox box to give the fire department access.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. The link to the other thread is the one I read prior to starting this one. I didn't want to revive 9 mo old topic, but appreciate the info.

I don't need the box to control the gate as the opener already has the keypad. Logging would be nice but since my existing camera already records all activity, that would just be redundancy.

I guess I should look into just an ip-based intercom, as that is really the only thing I'm lacking. I know nothing about those or how to even research them. Was hoping to learn from someone who's already been down this path.

The dahua I have monitoring the drive has a microphone that is remarkably good. It's the speaker that I'm missing... And of course, a practical way to access it.

For example, if a contractor shows up when I'm not home, how do I start the audio exchange? Blue iris two-way audio is still not working reliably, so I'd have to have an app that works consistently when not home. Ugh .. first world problems.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My point was that some of the other products out there could provide a better experience than that wireless keypad and that you ultimately might decide not to use the the Ghost Controls keypad. I do realize that some of the options for this sort of thing are as much as $1,500 and I'm comparing them to a $70 wireless keypad.

You don't want to have to tell people a code to punch in via the intercom, the code option is fine, but if you're talking to someone through the intercom you want to just be able to hit a button on your phone or a wall display to open the gate. Being able to control if the gate is held open or closed from a far would also be nice, but it is only a couple hundred feet not some mile long driveway. Even a simple alarm output from a camera could be used to trigger the gate but it could require the addition of an opto-isolated relay.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess I should look into just an ip-based intercom, as that is really the only thing I'm lacking. I know nothing about those or how to even research them. Was hoping to learn from someone who's already been down this path.
My experience is limited to helping a few friends and relatives who bought houses that came with gate openers or who decided to add one with installation/repair/programming/upgrades. In that limited experience I've seen and fixed (as well as I could) some horrible installs by the largest company in the area the installs this stuff "professionally". Some of the products are some seriously old world tech that was probably designed in 1998 (every component was through hole and all the ICs were plcc sockets) and is still being sold and it's all overpriced (but demand is low enough I guess they can justify it). A relative has a telephone entry system that was hooked up in a really screwed up way. I think the previous owner probably tipped the phone installer a few hundred in cash to get it hooked up that way.

So I a nutshell, I've become acquainted with a lot of products in this space and have tried to convince some people I know of some changes they should make to their systems. Unfortunately, most don't even want to throw $100 at making their gate work better, they'll wait until it breaks and then throw $1500 at it. I don't have much experience with the IP intercom products you're interested in.

Last edited:

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I know the feeling. I left out that the extra cat5e is for the home automation controller (Vera). With it integrated, I have a single icon on my phone to open, hold open, and close. I can also program schedules based on geofencing or sunset schedules. It can even send me a text if I forget to release the Hold-Open for more than x hours.

The Ghost Controls keypad is simple and cheap. I actually considered using a zwave based keypad that would direct the HA system to open the gate. That would provide logging, and remote pin changes. I have this system installed on my garage door.

But my zwave system wouldn't reach to the gate, and with the ability to unlock from any Smartphone, the relay-output intercom/camera would really be unneeded redundancy.

I really do value your input as it's helping me think outside the box.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Intercoms are generally going to fit in one of these categories:
-IP based products that require a sip line and/or asterisk server. SIP Door Phone would be a common keyword
-IP products that use their own app / cloud (eg. ring)
-POTS products which could be hooked FXO/FXS port on a voip device. Many of these can be used with an actual phone line or operate independent of one hooked directly to a phone without phone service (in other words switch between being FXO or FXS).

If the intercom is going to call you, you might as well have a way to open the gate from that app or via DTMF from your phone. It's just simpler less context switching. Most of the products you'd be likely to consider have this anyway.

Do you have a photo of the gate / where the keypad & intercom will be?

If a friend called me up and wanted me to help them install a gate intercom what would I choose (assuming I wanted to minimize support calls)? I'd probably go with the Liftmaster EL1SS for simplicity paired with a cheap voip line. If they were tech savvy enough to setup an Asterisk server on their own, then I'd consider a lot of other options. I have no experience with it, but this is cheaper than some options: IP Pedestal Intercom System: Outdoor Gate/Door VoIP Intercom | Wahsega Labs
The grandstream is around the same price and has a keypad / rfid reader has a few quirks and isn't as sturdy/weather proof. Viking, Algo, CyberData, DoorKing, AiPhone, Apollo, American Access/Summit Controls, Elika, and a few other companies make higher end products. ebay is one of the cheapest sources for this stuff.

The intercoms from Dahua could be an option too, but look at the threads here before you buy. Some use their own non-complaint PoE and need a special switch. Some won't function without an indoor station (which you might like anyway). This is one of the better dahua models but it claims to be 1080p yet only outputs 720p unless they fixed it VTO3211D-P/P2/P4 looks like it's now sold in 1/2/4 button varieties. This one is new, I haven't seen any reviews on it VTO2101E-P it might be better suited to gate usage, but the button may not be obvious enough. I've noticed the Dahua & Hikvison intercom product are much more popular in other countries, I've watched a few videos in other languages sometimes with some very comical auto-translated subtitles.

Last edited:

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Take a look at the AIPHONE IX Series Peer to Peer IP Video Intercom gear. It supports Poe, VMS and ONVIF.

meaty

n3wb
Reaction score
Thinking about testing this for my application.This company GBF seems only to sell on Amazon. The components are inexpensive. Probably TGTBT. I need to remotely unlock a electric gate, Two way audio, connect to my NVR and have a keypad for postal services.
https://www.amazon.com/l/10512074011

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.