Need guidance in a new 4 Cam system

Goatmilk

n3wb
Reaction score
hello all! Great site , Great info , a little bit confused as to what’s the best pick.

I currently have a NVR and a GW secu cam PoE. I want a new system.

I want 3-4 cameras PoE i was going for a Reolink system with NVR included but after reading through here for a bit im thinking Dahua might be a better choice. I have a computer i can use , i have a PoE switch. But i would like to use both or just a new NVR with PoE with the new cams. Every cam wil be outside , i have a front parking lot that i want to cover from both sides and a side entrance on the other side of the house.

If my memory serves i have a 3MP cant remember the lens now, the quality is decent in both day and night time , but i would like higher picture quality so have been leaning a bit towards 4k (8mp)

Do you have some suggestions - i see IPcamtalk has Brand theire selling is this the same as dahua only rebranded.

I have a budget in mind of about 500$ but i can stretch it a bit if need be (700$)

My main goal is easy to setup plug n play to a degree, app with remote viewing and play back , motion detection etc.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
------------------------------
Read study plan before spending money.
You need to think of the problem that needs to be solved, Define the problem. You started off with the specified solution. What is the problem.
Family Home security,
prowlers,
porch package thief's,
car door checkers
night time drunks
vandals
deer eating the flowers.
------------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
12) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
13) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW5231-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/review-ip-cam-talk-4-mp-ir-fixed-turret-network-camera.36011/
DS-2CD2325FWD-I

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/review-dahua-ipc-k35a-3mp-cube-camera.37581/#post-373517

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

Goatmilk

n3wb
Reaction score
What about NVR type ? The replies to this threads seems to be the same read the cliff notes, know your use area , plan etc .

Im willing to bet that 98% of people that visit and frequently this forum wants the same thing. A plug and play system that gives good picture both day and night to the extent possible.

They want to be able to see the drunk guy, check theire yard, porch and look for packages etc via an app on theire phone . Period.

And i know you should not chase MP but it does make a difference usually ,no rules without exception, but there should be a recommended package for home setup like this and this type of camera Brand outside period.

Thanks for the replies so far

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Costco

Seriously, the problem with that is that every install, every camera location, and location specific requirement is different. “Plug and play” is fine when you don’t know what you don’t know. Dahua alone makes over 300 cameras and many dozens of NVR's. Im guessing its because requirements differ. I have 4 different camera models at my home because not every scene has the same requirements.

Example:
3 different cameras, same bad guy. Which do you think helped LE catch the scumbag?

Available light, camera position, and camera selection all make a difference. The best image here happens to be the least (2MP) MP camera

doorchecker1.jpg doorchecker2.jpg doorchecker3.jpg

Goatmilk

n3wb
Reaction score
Waow ok i see , i stand corrected . Maybe i should take some photos to better show were i wanna put them and maybe you guys could give some inputs

Goatmilk

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok guys , so here it is. I added a camera screenshot from my phone. So basically what im thinking is the entire front is my front yard - parking space - i want to more coverage then the dome i have now and better picture quality, it’s not bad but i want better.

Also i want a second one in the other corner of that drive pay pointing towards the middle of the driveway to the pair together covers the entire space were all the cars are parked. Also i want one in the back alley - see photo’s that covers that and the side entrance. And i would want audio in them as well - is that possibly only via PoE Ethernet cable?

i have cat 5 cables Wired up- would you suggest changing that to cat 6 if so why?

i need to wire one new cable at least so im gonna make that cat6 but the one camera i allready have is a damn hassle to pull the Wires through all the walls etc so if i could keep it without any performance issue’s i would be happy to do so.

So i have lights outside that comes on after dark but they are rather dim LED lights and the nightvision on the GW secu i have works well regardless of this.

Also i would like a two way audio one on the inside of the house so i can keep an eye and ear on the dog when im not home. So technically that would be 5 cameras. What do you guys reckon ?

Do i need a NVR or would a computer with Blue Iris work better or just as good and simple to set up ?

Attachments

Last edited:

Goatmilk

n3wb
Reaction score
Nobody got anny suggestions ?

Is there a doorbell that is no wifi Onif POE CAM that anyone know of or have tested ?

Also i have reviewed everything up and down with the suggestions above and testing etc.

My demands is basically i want audio / built in microphone . And good quality both at night and daytime , since we have long daylight during the summer but mostly dark during the winter 6 months or so with over 14-16 hour Darkness.

I have been looking at the Dahua 2mp starlight mentioned above , and Also the 8Mp 4k, and was thinking at the front were the cars are parked to try one of each in separate corners. ? I want facial recognition and it would be Nice with a PTZ but it’s a bit out my price range i was looking at the small one looney reviewed but alot of people say it runs hot and Also i dont know if that had tracking abilities i’ve Been reading so much that im pretty much more clueless then i was in the beginning

But if i understand it correctly i will just skip an NVR as i have a dedicated PC with 8Gb ram and an i5 6000series something Also a radeon 6900 cant rememver exactly , Also have a pretty decent TX1050 on a conputer i use, so if i buy the iris i can pretty much record and download the app and remote view Even when not home and if i should Get the PTZ i can control that from the iPhone app as well - if i understood correctly.

So i have a budget of about 500$ for 3 cameras. For now. Based on my pictures and placement and requirements what would you choose ?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hard to understand from your pictures where you want to cover, but for 3 cameras Id suggest the popular 5231 (with mic built-in)
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/14251

Distance to where you want to get ID and where you want to see are important. Ambient light is important. Mounting location is important.

Facial ID is a matter of zooming in to the location you want ID. No magic. If you make the common mistake of having a nice wide view to 'see everything" you wont likely get ID unless they are very close to the camera. It generally takes more cameras than you first think to get the coverage you ultimately want.

Start with 3 of the 5231's and then decide where you're lacking coverage.

I'm an NVR guy, but plenty of Blue Iris support here

Stay away from a PTZ for now.

Goatmilk

n3wb
Reaction score
If you see the pictures were the cars are in the front of the house i want coverage on both end of corners there both going in a V pattern towards the middle to they cover the entire front. And on the side i was thinking one would do, but i should perhaps add yet another one. I had the idea that i wanted to try a PTZ just to play around with it but maybe the 3 will do the trick just fine to begin with, so no point in adding in one of the 4k 8Mp cams you think ?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Correct. Good choice on the crossing cameras out front.

I dont own a PTZ so this advice is worth exactly what you pay for it, but read around the forum. Once the novelty wears off you're usually better with fixed cameras, at least as your primary coverage.

If nighttime image is important, stay with the 2MP Starlights referenced. Get a feel for things and then decide if/where you may need another.

Goatmilk

n3wb
Reaction score
Correct. Good choice on the crossing cameras out front.

I dont own a PTZ so this advice is worth exactly what you pay for it, but read around the forum. Once the novelty wears off you're usually better with fixed cameras, at least as your primary coverage.

If nighttime image is important, stay with the 2MP Starlights referenced. Get a feel for things and then decide if/where you may need another.
Thank you kindly brother for your input , much obliged

Goatmilk

n3wb
Reaction score
Th
As per your POE onvif non wifi doorbell, check [Review] VTO2000A & VTH1550CH & VTNS1060A Intercom Kit
Awful installation process back in the days, would highly recommend nowadays!
Can be connected too to your NVR to record 24/7 audio&video.

For all other suggestions, see fellow tips above.
My addition: IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Good luck!
CC
Thanks for the input ! I just ordered 3 starlight 2mp from Andy and the inside cam mentioned above. And for the door bell i tried the Yoosee doorbell onvif PoE i will report back on it as i dont believe anyone has tested it yet , that i could find at least.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
No , this one : 1080p app controlled smart doorbell camera PoE wireless Wi-Fi AC 8-24V DC 9-36V built-in PIR motion sensor Yoosee app

And i added the USB dongle for inside noise as well or chime when the button is pressed etc
Interesting design. I asked the question because I don't like to put these kind of bells "on top of" an additional junction box because the UTP connector is 90° on top of the wall. That's why I "like" the VTO2000 design, it is mounted a bit "out" of the wall, but you have ample of space to hide the wires. There is also a "in-wall" box, but then I had to drill through a 45cm wired concrete wall :)

Goatmilk

n3wb
Reaction score
hello guys, so i got my cameras from Andy, and everything looks great BUT i have a problem, i tried to sign in to each camera because they have same ip so when i log into one camera it just flips between the 4 i got showin the pictures for maybe a second before it shifts to the next one. i also cant change it in the web interface login, because i just get an error and cant hit the save button.

I have scrolled through the entire forum looking for how to setup dahua cam spesifically the 2mp starlight dahuas but i cant find anything.

Like DHCP enabled or static ip, do i need to do anything spesific in the router or is it just the web gui or login for the cam itself. i have initialized everything and i also by some miracle got them added to BlueIris :D

i used the dahua toolbox and ConfigTool to find and initialize them and change login password, other then that im a bit green. any inputs or answer to the above questions would be much appreciated.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hook up one and only one camera to your network. The Ip address will be 192.168.1.108. Login to that camera and change the IP address to static and set it to a value outside of the DHCP router range. After that camera is up and running, plug the next camera in.

This applies to a normal PC/MAC home network. It does not apply to an NVR that has network connectors.

Also you can download the dahua ip config tool program. ConfigTool - Dahua Wiki i do not use this program