Need Help Finding the Right Dahua

Blue65

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I believe from my reading I am settling in on a couple of Dahua cameras. I had my pickup stolen right out for my driveway last night/this morning, and know I need to get some cameras up there. Right now I do not have a DVR/NVR but I do have a NAS that I might be able to use. These cameras have the ability to record locally to a SD card isn't that correct?

I think some of my requirements are:
1. Good night time optics (most of the bad stuff here happens at night, probably not unlike most people)
2. I would like one that notifies my phone if movement is detected
3. From reading I think getting this setup I might want a Varifocal camera

I read this post but it is over a year old and wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me. Thanks so much!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe from my reading I am settling in on a couple of Dahua cameras. I had my pickup stolen right out for my driveway last night/this morning, and know I need to get some cameras up there. Right now I do not have a DVR/NVR but I do have a NAS that I might be able to use. These cameras have the ability to record locally to a SD card isn't that correct?

I think some of my requirements are:
1. Good night time optics (most of the bad stuff here happens at night, probably not unlike most people)
2. I would like one that notifies my phone if movement is detected
3. From reading I think getting this setup I might want a Varifocal camera

I read this post but it is over a year old and wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me. Thanks so much!
Welcome Blue

Sorry to hear the news.

Do take a look at the wiki notes, especially the cliff notes
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

Preferred model right now for low light conditions is the IPC-HDW5231xx - so not much changes in the last year, just a slightly newer model now.

Yes, that model you can install a microSD card, so you can get started without an NVR.

Recommend getting 2 cameras to cover your driveway parking spots, one on each side of the garage.

Blue65

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, I just got done ordering
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE

From Andy. I reached out to him and he was very helpful and quick. I only got one right now, and want to see the coverage first hand so I can determine how many others I want. So when I get it will you guys help me figure out how to install these puppies?? Thanks again.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE

From Andy. I reached out to him and he was very helpful and quick. I only got one right now, and want to see the coverage first hand so I can determine how many others I want. So when I get it will you guys help me figure out how to install these puppies?? Thanks again.
Hi Blue65,

Excellent, you're on the right track.

You may want to pick up a microSD card for it, here's a recent deal I say on some which should work iirc
2-Pack 128GB Samsung Evo Plus U3 microSDXC Memory Cards $65 & More + Free S&H

iirc the cliff notes will help a lot w/re to install instructions.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE

5gal bucket, rocks/sand and a 2x4 will make a temp moveable test stand for the cam.

Blue65

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@looney2ns
Thanks for the response. I just got the camera IPC-HDW5231R-ZE in this afternoon. I only ordered one for right now, and was reading through the quick start guide that came with the camera. I am also ordering those SD cards you recommended. The next step was for me to start diving into the clif notes you recommended. One thing I am trying to figure out is to try to figure out where I want to mount the camera before I start pulling cable. I think I want my first camera, this camera to look out on one side of my driveway. However, I do not want to mount it before seeing what the display would look like. Is there a guide for this? I am completely green, but sort of tech, but have never dealt with IP cameras. Thanks for the help!

HoosierD

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What NAS are you running? If you have a Synology you can usually run two cameras for free with Surveillance Station. Its really simple to get going.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One thing I am trying to figure out is to try to figure out where I want to mount the camera before I start pulling cable. I think I want my first camera, this camera to look out on one side of my driveway. However, I do not want to mount it before seeing what the display would look like.
@looney2ns’s advice in post #5 covers how to accomplish what you’re looking to do. :)

If you’re looking to get fancy, here’s a recent thread:
My test rig: rev.2

Blue65

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@looney2ns’s advice in post #5 covers how to accomplish what you’re looking to do. :)

If you’re looking to get fancy, here’s a recent thread:
My test rig: rev.2
I see and understand that the 5 gallon pail and 2 x 4 would make a good test stand. However, I am even lost on how to get the cameras to display, and do I just drag an ethernet cable all the way out the door to the approx. location of where I am thinking of installing the camera?