Need Help for ext. storage from DS-2CD2432F-IW

Reaction score
hi to the community
first of all excuse me for my bad English, im from Greece. :)

i recently brought a DS-2CD2432F-IW for surveillance my store.
just one piece. it has firmware V5.3.0 build 150513
everything seems alright untill i tried to add an external HDD to my modem router, for recording from the camera.
my router is Speedport W 724V Type Ci, with USB port for network storage.
so, i brought an external USB3 Seagate Expansion 1TB. i setup the network and my windows 7 sees my HDD correctly.
i tried everything but i cant get it to work with my camera.
every setup failed. my cam can't see the attached HDD.

my router create a new folder in my HDD, that i have full rights with my username and password. the path is:
/Expansion/Partition1/USERFOLDER/darkhumour

but when im going to setup -> NAS and trying to add it there, always get error in test:
"Mounting to NAS server failed. Invalid directory or incorrect user name/password."
see picture
111.PNG

on the other hand, when i go to FTP setup and put all of these, i get "Testing succeeded"
see picture
2222.PNG

i dont know how to get this to work.
is it possible to record over FTP setup or not?
is there a tutorial about this?
am i doing something wrong with my NAS setup?
and, in the possibility that my router is not capable to cooperate with my cam, is there any other way (and cheap of course) to buy a device and put my HDD in it, to finally record from my cam?
something to make the trick?

thanks in advance
Stavros

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Stavros.
For the NetHDD, you need to use just the sharename for the path.
In your case I think it is '/Expansion'
But to be sure, if there is uncertainty, at the Windows 7 command prompt, try:
Code:
I:\Users\Alastair>net view [URL="file://192.168.1.201/"]\\192.168.1.201[/URL]
Shared resources at [URL="file://192.168.1.201/"]\\192.168.1.201[/URL]
NAS Server
Share name  Type  Used as  Comment
--------------------------------------------------------
cctv1       Disk           System default share
Download    Disk           System default share
Multimedia  Disk           System default share
Public      Disk           System default share
Recordings  Disk           System default share
Web         Disk           System default share
The command completed successfully.

I:\Users\Alastair>
replacing the IP address with that of your Speedport.
In the example above, the path configured in the camera would be '/cctv1'

When that works OK, you will likely run into the problem of the maximum share size that the camera will be able to handle.
There are lots of posts on that topic on this forum.

Reaction score
thanks for your answer.
so you say that i have to send the "net view \\192.168.1.1" command from my Command Promt. right?
tomorrow i ll try it and post the results if fail.
i somewhere read that my HDD must be max 200gb. is it true for my firmware?
can i make partitions to a USB 1TB HDD, or is some other way to make the trick?
if you have some topics to suggest, this will be much appreciated
thanks

Reaction score
unfortunatelly the net view command returns with
"System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied."

i send "net view \\192.168.1.1" that is the ip of my router.
where can i see instructions about "Quota"?
my hdd is USB. is it possible to lower the size of my hdd via quota command in windows, and after this to put it again to my router?
thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
unfortunatelly the net view command returns with
"System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied."
It seems that the share permissions are a bit restricted.

where can i see instructions about "Quota"?
You would need to look at the router user manual to find out if it supports any capability like that.

Reaction score
ok. i give up!
i tried everything but i cant get this to work.
my best "success" returns with "no permission" message.
so, i m willing to buy a small nas server.
i am in the middle of two:
-Synology DiskStation DS215j
-QNAP Systems TS-212P
i see that both have the option of user quota and work well with hikvision cameras.
could you please tell me (by your experience) which is better to buy?
i mean, which has more easy setup for the cameras, could handle higher bitrates or more cameras, or has more NAS capabilities for further use.
thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:

LeeH

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the Synology 214play and its a great NAS and works very will with my cams.

BUT, it can get expensive eveytime you add a camera and they are slow to add new models.

I think QNAP is the same.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you activate 'Guest Access' for the external USB drive in your Speedport?
In theory, and with 'Read only' unticked, there should not be an access control / permission problem.

On the subject of a NAS, there are some considerations:
i see that both have the option of user quota and work well with hikvision cameras.
I don't have direct experience with Synology NAS and Hikvision cameras - but I have used a couple of QNAP NAS with them.
In my view, the TS-212P has 2 limitations that would not make it a good choice for this use case:
The version of QTS available does not support the 'Flexible Volume Manager / Storage pools' feature that allows you to create share volumes of arbitrary size to match the Hikvision camera / NVR requirements. This feature is only available on the SOHO/SMB middle-end and above, see the split here: https://www.qnap.com/i/uk/product/index.php
Arguably the 512MB RAM is a bit light for running Surveillance Station, it's a very RAM-hungry application.
Check out this thread here
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/8670-IP-cam-advise-needed-for-use-with-qnap-NAS?p=77411&viewfull=1#post77411

Despite the lack of flexible volumes, I have used User Quotas via SMB/CIFS shares on a QNAP TS-412, and it worked OK with Hikvision cameras and NVRs.

Reaction score
everything started when i decided to get a small.. tiny.. simple 100$ 1080p ip cam for my office. :sad2:
reading reviews.. reviews.. reviews.. Hikvision! :)
after that, i need a small.. tiny.. simple sdcard for this cam. :(
but it was so small for my weekly records.:sad2:
reading reviews.. reviews.. reviews.. found ipcamtalk! :D
success!
trying for hours to setup my small.. tiny.. simple router to get it to work.
reading.. reading.. reading..
give up! :sad2:
decided to take a small NAS server, to solve my problems.
-Synology DiskStation DS215j
-QNAP Systems TS-212P :rolleyes:
ask the community for help.. (thanx guys both for your help! :D)
reviews.. reviews.. reviews.. :sad2:
ok. finally i'm done!
i decided!
i ll take the qnap ts-251 (not plus) with expandable 8gb ram, with a super-dooper 3TB HDD, but to play all quite well i need also a Netgear ProSafe Plus GS108E switch! :laugh:
total cash: about 500 euros :(
oh! wait! we speak about only one small.. tiny.. simple ip cam?! :unsure:
yes but.. as you already know my friends.. life is sort.. shopping is beautiful.. do it now or you ll never do it! :triumphant:
but please.. please!
dont say that this setup also isnt good because i ll suicide! :cool:
best regards!
Stavros

Reaction score
well.. Hi again my friends :(

finally yesterday come all of my stuff.
everything seem to be alright since i try to make the further settings.
as i told you before, i get the QNAP TS-251 with extra 8gb rom.
I am now lost in space for many and different problems, and i need your help cause the qnap forum is difficult to read and follow.

1) i cant get the camera to write by its own recorder. it can write only via qnap surveillance station.
but this method has limitations. no variable bitrates, AVI files instead of H.264 files (i think it must be .mp4 files instead), so the camera folder (200gb with user Quota function) will be full more easy..
the second issue was strange.
in my first setup trying, i make a camera user with Quota 500gb. the Hikvision see the camera folder well, and the format done well also.
but no record from both internal recorder and qnap surveillance station..

because i m newbie to all of this, i turn first the user quota to 200gb, and then i tried many setups to get this to work.
finally the qnap surveillance station start to write, but i am not sure if the problem was of the setups i tried, or the 200 user quota itself.
but i prefer variable bitrates and H.264 files.
the last strange thing is that the camera now cannot do the format to camera folder. when i try to do it, the procedure stops in 2 sec, and the status remain "Uninitialized".
but the Surv Station records normally.
the video avi files are accessible only over the qnap app. the camera itself says "there is no files".
is there something i can do for all of that, or only Surv Station works? :(
i am almost sure that this is no user quota issue. i read in forum that many people get qnap recording to work even with 500gb quota users.
but i prefer the internal camera recorder to work, with variable bitrates.
i am afraid to change everything. what should i try?

2) although the qnap first setup was piece of cake, further settings are a nightmare.
what is my problem and what i want to do:
i have the qnap in my office. i have static IP and very good vdsl connection there.
so i want to manage the qnap from my house, to do some works remotely:
- to send remotelly (from my house) links from files to download in the office, (usually not torrents, but from uploaded.to), so the next day when i go to my office i ll get the files to my usb external hdd.
qnap has two apps for this job: download station and pyload.
download station i cant get it to work.
i put all my credentials well, but when download starts it finishes after few seconds with only 15kb file!
the real file is about 1gb.. :(
on the other hand, pyload is not accessible via qnap of my house!
when i try to open the app, a new window appears but stays blank until it fails to connect.
maybe is a port issue, but i think all default ports are open well, via qnap UPNP feature.
if anyone get pyload - D. Station to work pls give me some links to read, or advices..

3) some important apps are not accessible remotely of my house. i cant find them in my remote desktop, although i know are installed!
see picture
hybrid.PNG
i dont know if all the apps are accessible only locally in my nas, because two days now i am in home. tomorrow i ll go to my office and i ll check the local desktop.
but anyway this is strange. i thought that all apps are accessible both locally and remotely.

4) when i try to open Media Streaming Addon it appears a setup page for just one second and after that it goes to a login page that every login compination is failed. so neither this can get it to work.
see both images
11.png22.png

5) Plex media server also opens a new blank window in firefox that never connects to anything..

and this is only some of the problems i faced..

i am a bit confused.. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

IL-MAFIOSO

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

Sorry to restart this topic but the search mode give me this one.

I need an help for one question :

I'm using a NAS TS253A mounted in Raid1. I'me using for Media center, backup, etc ...
I want to try it with one of my camera like a NAS Storage.
On my NAS i create a folder in my Datavol1 named HIKCAMS
I've created an user with permission RW on this folder and permission to use SMB
On the camera, i set the Storage with SMB mode and now this Disk1 appear. It give me 2To capacity. But that's all size from my HDD !

Normally i should format it in the web GUI of the camera ... But what it will do ? Format all my DD for all the NAS ?

I think after i can give a maximum size for the folder . But i'm afraid about the formatting ....
Thanks for your help and assistance

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
With SMB on the QNAP NAS you will be able to define the disc size quota associated with the UserID you created for the camera.
Don't worry about 'format' - all its doing is creating a framework of folders and files. It won't delete the rest of the contents of the volume.
Does your NAS have the 'Logical Volume Manager' facility where you can create volumes of arbitrary size? That works well for both SMB and NFS shares.

IL-MAFIOSO

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

Are you speaking for that :
How to use QNAP Flexible Volume Management?

To not lose all i've already, i've to create a New volume then ?
I've never done that but i try and it say be i've not enough space because of what i can see, all capacity of my pool is allowed at Datavol1.
Then I cannot create a Datavol2 and regarding FAQ, i can only increase ....

With SMB on the QNAP NAS you will be able to define the disc size quota associated with the UserID you created for the camera
I don't know this feature . And I don't know where is it ...
At final i want to save snapshoots for 5 cameras in this same folder. But like you say i need to give a limit to this folder.
I've seen that it's possible to set maximum size in GUI of camera. Is-it possible ? Did it work ? Did it erase than the olders when the maximum size is raised ?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Just create a new shared folder, assign a size quota to the UserID you created for the camera.
There will be no access to the rest of the storage in the NAS.
The new shared folder should have no other data in it, the camera will simply create a framework of folders and files and indexes inside it.

IL-MAFIOSO

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok,

Folder was always created and user too. I've then enable "Quota" in the NAS . Was firstable only choice for all Users. I set it to maximum size.
Then I was able to set reduce it for the specific User.

Now next step will be to format with WEB GUI from the camera like you say . I will try it this evening.
When the limit size is raised, i think i will receive an alert from the NAS that one user had raised his capacity. Is-it possible then to say him to delete older files ? Or should i do that then manually ?

Then i should add others cameras to the same folder, i think the others cameras will be ready to write too when i had the same SMB folder on each camera ?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to create a share per camera, you can't share the same folder for multiple cameras.
Unless Hikvision have removed this limitation in the newer firmware in your camera.

IL-MAFIOSO

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok I will create one folder for each camera. Thanks a lot.

I will need to make a FTP connexion too to the same folders too. Can you help me here too or should i create a new topic ?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I will create one folder for each camera.
Suggestion - try one out first, get it working and see how it goes.
The very least you'll need to figure out is where the quota ceiling is.
I will need to make a FTP connexion too to the same folders too
To read, or to write, data?
To read, you'd need to be able to handle the file structures and indexes.
To write, you'd need to be sure you won't break the ability of the camera to use the share. I believe Hikvision recommend no extra files in the folders.

IL-MAFIOSO

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Due to my problem with emails notifications, i'm looking for an alternative to record on the NAS only Snapshots from crossing line and/or intrusion.
For motion detection, i already use Surveillance Station from QNAP. you will certaonly said me that Surveillance Station can send snapshot when a motion is detected ?
Yes it's right but the snapshot sended is not the event that launch the motion detection . And I've opened a support ticket to QNAP R&D and they cannot change that.

I just need that camera send this snapshot for those 2 events in the SMB storage disk created on my NAS or via FTP to my NAS too.