Need help for new Network Cable type

spe99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I'd like to change an old CCTV camera (coaxial cable) with an new Dahua IP camera an have no idea wich type of network cable I need to buy ?
I need about 25 meter.

Can I use a 25m Patch cable with connectors already crimped ?

What type ? straight cable ? crossover cable ? S/FTP ? Cat6 ? Cat6a ? Cat7 ?

Please help !
Thank you.

Best regards.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would say most here are using Cat6..as far as already Crimped it depends on where you are running it..If you have access (connector will go thru what you need it to) then sure.

spe99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, Thank you.
But what type of cable ? straight cable ? crossover cable ? S/FTP ?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I still run Cat5e. Its easier to work with and gives 1Gbe which is plenty for home use. Cameras generally have 10/100 ports on them anyway. You want straight through if you are buying pre-terminated cables. Use CMR rated if running through walls.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@spe99 ,

In addition to using CMR rated cable for in walls, attics, crawl spaces & between floors as advised by @biggen , insure the CAT-5e or CAT-6 is solid (not stranded) copper (not CCA, Copper Clad Aluminum). If exposed directly to the elements (sunlight, rain, etc.), use outdoor-rated cable. If in ground, even if in conduit use direct-burial rated,

Pre-terminated cable can be found that meets those specs but they are hard to find and expensive, as most "patch" cables are stranded and don't have a CMR (or better) rated jacket.

This is why most folks buy cable (that meets my first line spec) in bulk on a reel or in a UNreel(box) and terminate it with the RJ-45 connector themselves. It also allows for a smaller hole to be drilled for the cable to pass through (3/8"). Lastly, it's more readily available and has the best price-point.

shalem2014

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
But what type of cable ? straight cable ? crossover cable ? S/FTP ?
Straight cable. Plus everything @TonyR said above (Cat-5e or Cat-6, solid copper, avoid CCA). When crimping your own ends onto cable, make sure to wire both ends with the T-568B pattern. Crossover cable is wired with T-568A on one end and T-568B on the other end, and is only used when connecting two computers (or old fashioned Ethernet hubs) together directly. Connections between a device and an Ethernet switch/router/hub always use straight cable, with T-568B on both ends (put that term into Google Images to see the pinouts for yourself).

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Are crossover cables even a thing anymore? With auto crossover switches and NICs those things should have gone the way of the Dodo.

spe99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Many thanks for all messages and help.
Very nice replies.
All the best to you and yours ;) Take care.
Best regards.