Need help from a networking guru!

Discussion in 'NVR's, DVR's & Computers' started by drrich1101, Oct 30, 2018.

Share This Page

1. drrich1101

drrich1101 Getting the hang of it

So I have read through the cliff notes, as well as that great post about vpn.

cut me some slack, please, im over 50, and did not grow up with computers, but i am trying.

Just bought some cameras, and a NVR from Empire. I want to be able to access the cameras from computers on my network, so that I don't have to directly plug into the nvr. I also want to be able to remote in and see my cameras. I bought a 16 port POE Dahua.

I don't know were to start!! I have no problem keeping the network separate from my home network. How do i do that thought? my home is 192.168.1.1 (router). I have seen some say to assign the NVR as well as all the cams ip ranges of 10.x.x. If i do that, how will I remote in? i would need a second router??

I created a vpn server with my asus router, so how does that help me from being hacked? do I still need to forward the port of the server to the NVR?? what if it on a different range of IPs??

don't know we're to start, I have done a little of everything, but a lot of nothing. Just want remote access, the ability to view through PSS or whatever on my home LAN, and the ability to see the cameras from the WAN the safest way possible, even if that is disabling all internet access and viewing through team viewer, which I saw someone does......
    can anybody give me a recommendation on what they specifically do????

thanks so much

-old dentist rich

MonkeeMadness likes this.
  2. tangent

tangent IPCT Contributor

Did you buy an NVR with a built in PoE switch or a separate PoE switch?

3. drrich1101

Built in Poe.
    For the last 2 hours I have been fighting IP addresses. My network at home is 192.168.x.x, and the cams are 10.x.x.x and I cant change the camera IP addresses. I logged in directly when I got them and assigned them 192 addresses, and when I plugged them into the nvr, they were reassigned to 10.x.x.x! arrgh.

4. tangent

tangent IPCT Contributor

If you're plugging cameras into an NVR with built in PoE, the NVR gets to control how the cameras are addressed.
    You can't directly access the ip addresses of the individual cameras when using an NVR with built in PoE.

There is a button you can click in the NVRs web interface that allows you to directly access the individual cameras using the NVR's IP address and a different port number eg: NVR.IP:10001 (just an example).

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    looney2ns likes this.
  5. tangent

tangent IPCT Contributor

On your router and NVR turn off UPnP and don't forward any ports.

To view cameras remotely, connect to your VPN server and then enter your NVRs LAN ip address (which is on the same subnet as the rest of your devices).
    Tools like teamviewer are more useful for viewing a computer running VMS software like blue iris than connecting to NVRs (you'd have to connect to a pc on your lan and then the nvr).

6. drrich1101

With that bit of information, I was able to understand and connect to my vpn server on my router. Thanks so much. Didnt work until I left my house wifi, but I guess that was the idea.
    Now I have another issue. I cannot "see" my camera (testing with just 1 so far). its hooked into the poe port of my dahua NVR. the NVR gave it an IP in the 10.0.x.x range. My entire network is in the 192.168.x.x range.
    I thought that wouldnt matter. I was able to open the interface to my NVR remotely, both through the ip, and also with smartPSS installed on my desktop but no matter how I try to import the cam that shows up when I search (with that 10.x.x ip, there is NO PICTURE!!)

IDEAS PLEASE??

7. tangent

tangent IPCT Contributor

For general viewing, you'll access the nvr instead of the cameras directly. Each camera is available as a different channel on the nvr.

If you connect to the nvr in smart pss you should see all of your cameras.

8. drrich1101

9. Steve Bowman

Steve Bowman Young grasshopper

Did you enable the P2P on the NVR setup? I am in a very similar situation, and I believe that the P2P is not needed with the VPN. With it enabled, it increases the security risk.

Just double checking, as it is enabled by default.

Also, I do believe the cameras are on a different subnet(10.10.?.?) for increased security.

10. tangent

tangent IPCT Contributor

Can you view the cameras on a monitor or tv hooked directly to the NVR?

11. bigredfish

bigredfish Known around here

Log into your NVR with a web browser (probably 192.168.1.108?) - You should be able to launch the web interface for each camera from the Registration page. Click on blue IE icons...

POE-NVR-AccessCameras.jpg

looney2ns and fenderman like this.
  12. tangent

tangent IPCT Contributor

If you're having issues viewing video from the NVR in your web browser, it could be related to plugin support. More details here: How to view Dahua cameras without browser plugins

Most web browsers have been dropping support for plugins, one that still works well is Pale Moon.
    You need the 32bit version, if the installer gives you a choice, choose the 32 bit version.

If you're unable to load the NVR's web page or get anything in Smart PSS, you may not have set up your NVR correctly so that it's on the same network/subnet as the rest of your devices. (I'm talking about the NVR's LAN ip address not the 10.1.1.* addresses the NVR uses internally for cameras)

fenderman likes this.
  13. looney2ns

looney2ns IPCT Contributor

14. drrich1101

Thanks for ALL that info. I finally understand and think I got it. We will see when I try to add more cameras!

catcamstar likes this.