Need help in surveillance solution in restaurant

BensonD

n3wb
Reaction score
My brother is going to open up a restaurant. it's about 300m2, i need some dome cameras, ptz for outdoor. what's the best recommendation. like I should get analog or network IP system? what kind of pixel i should be after. I have no idea at all. please share your wisdom :)
What i am thinking is to get 1000tvl analog system, which is easier to install, less headache to maintain. like around 8 dome camera, 2 ptz, as to DVR, i am confused of what is good and what's not. I seen some system, it looks quite good when checking from monitor locally, but looks pretty bad when check from cell phone. I was told it's the DVR decode no good?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My brother is going to open up a restaurant. it's about 300m2, i need some dome cameras, ptz for outdoor. what's the best recommendation. like I should get analog or network IP system? what kind of pixel i should be after. I have no idea at all. please share your wisdom :)
What i am thinking is to get 1000tvl analog system, which is easier to install, less headache to maintain. like around 8 dome camera, 2 ptz, as to DVR, i am confused of what is good and what's not. I seen some system, it looks quite good when checking from monitor locally, but looks pretty bad when check from cell phone. I was told it's the DVR decode no good?
Analog is crap. 1000 "tvl" will be low resolution and blurry. Dont even bother with it. Why do you think its easier to install? Its actually harder because you need to run separate power and you must homerun each cable to the dvr. You dont need ptz. Will your brother be sitting there all day panning the camera?
Get a 1080p ip system. Analog low resolution should never be installed in 2015, never.
At the very least you should look at hikvision TVI or dahau CVI, HD over coax systems. Start reading and learning.
Cell phone quality depends on the substream resolution set and your internet connection.

BensonD

n3wb
Reaction score
hmm, TVI cameras. I should start reading and learning. do you have any good site or articles recommended for me to get started. appreciated if you do.
if the images looks better when camera directly connects to monitor than going through dvr and then monitor, does that mean the dvr is no good? what kind of dvr provides high resolution? Sorry, my questions might seem silly :(

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Google will probably be your easiest bet. Or even youtube, you may find a video on this subject. You may find it easier to follow in a video than by reading as it can confuse many.

There are a few standards for HD over coax such as TVI, CVI and HD-SDI to name a few.

The recorded footage will always be what you set it as on the NVR so if you set it to 1080p the NVR will record in 1080p (providing that both the camera and nvr can do 1080p), it is only when you stream it over the internet to view it remotely. Most of the time upload speeds for your internet connection will be fairly slow compared to the download speed. An example will be say a 1080p IP camera recording at a bitrate of 4096kbps, most ADSL2+ services will only stream about 1mbps so there is a huge bottleneck there. The live view would be choppy at best, if it even works at all. There is a substream available which will stream a lower quality/lower bitrate video which better suits the available bandwidth. This does mean you should hopefully get a smooth stream.

If you have an NVR (same for a DVR) playing back video, because there is a processor inside the unit that can only handle x amount of frames. If you load too many streams up simultaneously there might not be enough processing power to display everything especially for NVRs as HD video playback is pretty intense for the processor.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
hmm, TVI cameras. I should start reading and learning. do you have any good site or articles recommended for me to get started. appreciated if you do.
if the images looks better when camera directly connects to monitor than going through dvr and then monitor, does that mean the dvr is no good? what kind of dvr provides high resolution? Sorry, my questions might seem silly :(
Its not about the dvr/NVR...the camera determines the quality...then you need to get a recorder that supports those cameras.....a new install should use IP cameras. The easiest thing to do would be to buy a kit that is plug and play. Most kits come with bullets. Since you want domes it may be tougher...you will not be connecting any camera direct to the tv..you will connect to the NVR. Find a supplier that will sell you a kit and provide you with tech support.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
a new install should use IP cameras
+1 All new installs should be IP cameras.

I hate Hikvision pushing their TurboHD crap for new installs. For existing ones fine but not for new installs, you are wasting money, time and effort if you get analog (even digital over analog) crap.