Need help on deciding on which switch to use

Kba9

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone. So I've been learning the IP camera business for a little while. Doing a job with 10-14 cameras. Decided to go with EBD-4700 for the most part. if anyone has a better recommendation for future jobs please let me know. Anyways I'm having trouble on deciding on which switch to get. Would a 24-port gigabit switch being Overkill, or can I just get by with using a 10/100? If you would recommend a switch please post below.
Thank you

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you mean a 4MP camera with 1/3" sensor, there are far, far, better choices even in that general price range. For a switch, look in the WiKI, in the blue bar at the top of the page or do a search of the forum, search tool on the far right of the same blue bar. There are many threads discussing PoE switches.

Kba9

n3wb
Reaction score
If you mean a 4MP camera with 1/3" sensor, there are far, far, better choices even in that general price range. For a switch, look in the WiKI, in the blue bar at the top of the page or do a search of the forum, search tool on the far right of the same blue bar. There are many threads discussing PoE switches.
Thanks for the help I will definitely look into wiki. Could you just list a few cameras that are better. Thank you

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone. So I've been learning the IP camera business for a little while. Doing a job with 10-14 cameras. Decided to go with EBD-4700 for the most part. if anyone has a better recommendation for future jobs please let me know. Anyways I'm having trouble on deciding on which switch to get. Would a 24-port gigabit switch being Overkill, or can I just get by with using a 10/100? If you would recommend a switch please post below.
Thank you
Welcome @Kba9

I definitely agree with @sebastiantombs .. skip any cameras with smaller sensors.. many better options now.

Look for SouthernYankee's welcome notes to new members for a list of models more popular, and also with links to reviews from members.

1595885707910.png

Model EBD4700
Iris Fixed
Focal Length (mm) 2.8 mm
Horizontal FOV 100°
Maximum Aperture F/2.0
Image Format 1/3"

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Not only 1/3" sensor, it's an f/2.0 lens. What a "great" combination for night, low light, failure.

There are tons of threads discussing all types of cameras. The 5442 series from Dahua and the Hikvision Darkfighter equivalents are good places to start.

Kba9

n3wb
Reaction score
Could you link me to a few threads that discuss Poe switches. I couldn't find anything. I just would like to know if a 10/100/1000 is necessary that's all. Thanks!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
A gig for an uplink port is fine. Given that even a 4K camera connects at 100 MbPS anything faster isn't needed for cameras. The same is true of cable. Everyoneis putting in CAT6 because it's gig rated when cameras will probably be running at 100 for a long, long, time to come. CAT5E is fine.

Try using Google for search, in this format on the browser address bar - site:ipcamtalk.com (search term) for example "site:ipcamtalk.com poe switch"

You're, basically, asking for other people to design a system for you without being able to see the actual installation area or know what the goals are. Both of those things are key to determining what is required and both are also influenced by the "opinion" of the end user.