Need help picking out Equipment for remote Location- Needs to boot back up easily

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, there was talk that running a VPN on the 1 CPU Asus RT N66W and full streaming would over tax it and run out of processing power.

This is how hard it is working streaming 3 cameras 500kbps each to the iPhone through AT&T LTE + 4 cameras through Open VPN to the macbook on Smart PSS. The router looks like it is barely having to breathe? The NVR network page is sending and receiving 24 mb/s.

There were more then a few sites I found that said that for that model. Glad to see you're not having issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Need help picking out Equipment for remote Location- Needs to boot back up ea...

So hows the Vpn working out for ya? Pretty smooth on all cams?

Edit: oops nm

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I guess I can't really say smooth yet until I get them installed. They are all facing a wall in the garage so haven't tested their true use with people walking by or the lake. I was wrong about the asus cpu1, it gets up to 60% during 4 cams on vpn. Thought I had Von running on that last screen shot but had to run it from work to get it tested outside my network.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
running out of time to get those up out at the lake in decent weather.. if it freezes over then I imagine you have a month or so before you make it harder on your self.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I guess I can't really say smooth yet until I get them installed. They are all facing a wall in the garage so haven't tested their true use with people walking by or the lake. I was wrong about the asus cpu1, it gets up to 60% during 4 cams on vpn. Thought I had Von running on that last screen shot but had to run it from work to get it tested outside my network.
Try another phone on it at the same time and see what happens. It'll be rare that it happens with multiple people on but I wouldn't wanna see it crash while you're away if more then one person are using it. Like u and another family member or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know!!! Low of 26F on Thursday. I'll get them installed this weekend. With gloves on of course
My brothers are going to help.

Yes. I will try stress testing VPN from work today and see how it does. I really want to make sure it is all stable before I leave it for the winter. I will stream Smart PSS AND the iPhone App AND IPad app at the same time. So 3 devices. Anything else I can do to stress it out or find the limit of the router? What tends to happens to routers when they reach max CPU, will they reboot ok?

I know you guys have been doing this stuff a long time, but I think it is so cool that I can log into my router remotely and see these stats. And even change settings from afar. Never been able to do that.

Here is a video look at Smart PSS connected on the VPN streaming 4 cameras: <span style="font-kerning: none">

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Making some progress today on the install. Here is a video of the PTZ 30x camera. It just recorded the computer screen. Haven't figured out how export files from the NVR. I'm very impressed with the Dahua zoom camera and it is very stable on the tree so far in 10mph winds.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Check your NVR settings, it looks like you have the same camera added more than once.. might have to remove them all and add them back one at a time carefully.

that looks amazing, I hope you are pleased.. thats f'n great video for not being the least bit dialed in yet.

those tree's look alot beefier in the video, probably going to be less of an issue than I thought.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
nice.i reread it again.it's recorded desktop.hopefully u can show the real video.:)

nhracecraft

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Making some progress today on the install. Here is a video of the PTZ 30x camera. It just recorded the computer screen. Haven't figured out how export files from the NVR. I'm very impressed with the Dahua zoom camera and it is very stable on the tree so far in 10mph winds.
That PTZ looks AWESOME....Now I want one! And a Lake House in the Mountains too!! :cool:

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ahh, that was it nayr. Not sure why two of each camera pop up in the device search. But got it worked out. Great recommendation on the Dahua equipment! It was defiantly a challenge to mount like you warned.

nice.i reread it again.it's recorded desktop.hopefully u can show the real video.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I bet you were thinking, "oh I wish it had 10x more zoom to fully reach the other side, no make it 20x more" :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hope its secured well to the tree, looks like you didnt quite get it level.. it'd help tracking the opposite shoreline if you level it out better.

setup some presets of your favorite spots, the camera is alot faster at focusing and moving between targets then.. also helps keeping from getting lost with all that zoom.

paint the white metal all you want, heck paint it black or dark grey and it'll just disappear..

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
hope its secured well to the tree, looks like you didnt quite get it level.. it'd help tracking the opposite shoreline if you level it out better.

setup some presets of your favorite spots, the camera is alot faster at focusing and moving between targets then.. also helps keeping from getting lost with all that zoom.

paint the white metal all you want, heck paint it black or dark grey and it'll just disappear..
It is on there pretty good. 4x 5" lag bolts into the tree and 4 regular screws as well. Pulled hard really and it didn't budge. We were at the max of the ladder so it was a bit precarious up that high. Not a good safe place to be for very long. We realized it wasn't level at all and worked so hard to correct it. I know it is still off but it is significantly better then where we started. I wish it was better. If we can get a taller ladder come spring we will level it further. we put some spacers on the bottom because the tree is not straight vertically, it bows out towards the water. I think we hit the limits of our DIY install on that tree :)

Not sure how to paint it yet. Would need to mask the black camera housing, but also there are a lot of security screws around the housing. Then again, maybe just paint over the screws and it will be ok. Not sure how that would go. Would have been awesome to camouflaged it like others recommended but too difficult to do now that it is mounted so high. Maybe just mask off the camera and tree and go at it lightly with dark grey spray paint that matches the tree bark. And paint the waterproof case.

Here's to hoping it can handle the snow this winter!

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Low lake level due to drought?
No, the natural rim level is where the water is now. The extra 8ft of water that we get (spring to fall) is a reservoir to absorb winter flood run off and keep the river running and the endangered specie fish protected. It always drops 8ft. for the winter and returns early spring. But last year, bc of the CA drought, the water only rose half way :( it was sad.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No, the natural rim level is where the water is now. The extra 8ft of water that we get (spring to fall) is a reservoir to absorb winter flood run off and keep the river running and the endangered specie fish protected. It always drops 8ft. for the winter and returns early spring. But last year, bc of the CA drought, the water only rose half way :( it was sad.
So should you guys not have a rise/fall dock that rises or falls with the water level?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
for long term reliability over the winter I'd seal that box up with some self sealing tape, like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-x-10-ft-self-bonding-super-tape-61414.html

and get some big heavy duty staples that you hammer in, put a few of those down the trunk.. then use wire (not zip) ties to secure the cable down it and provide support.. I worry about ice yanking on that cable in the spring.. if it forms along the trunk it could break away from the trunk as its warming up and be hanging from your ethernet cable.. might route it to the back side if thats less exposed to elements in winter.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So should you guys not have a rise/fall dock that rises or falls with the water level?
Only a handful do. This is high altitude 6,000ft and cold. So boating season is only 3.5 months a year. By the time the water goes down it is too cold to be boating unfortunately. It was 24f last night. So, probably not worth the expense, but that would be nice.

Can't wait to do some snow time lapses this winter with the NVR.

This was a neighbors house when we got a lot of snow in 2011.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, that's some serous ice damming on the roof