Need help picking out Equipment for remote Location- Needs to boot back up easily

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Much much appreciated. So thank you! I have always believed in paying it forward. Trying to help as many others on the forums so they don't have to bump into the walls of a dark room. That is how it has felt to get it all working.

First off, that was like watching a wizard work. There is no way most users would have been able to do this without help, Not even with online tutorials.

I don't see any reason to have make it a 2 way vpn. Unidirectional is fine for now. Just need to be able to access the router, NVR and cameras at remote site. There are no resources at home to access. No cameras etc. Now that it is all working I plan to leave it alone.

Yes. Got the USB stick mounted and appearing. Interfaces look much different. Doesn't have the pretty* pages that show you how to host ftp :)

I saved the log codes. I know very little about logs but learned a few things watching you work. I backed up the router to a file just incase something was to crash down the road and screen shotted everything for the future. Will get another Asus router down the road if this one becomes over taxed. Not sure how I would gauge that, maybe check the CPU meter on the router and see if it is getting overwhelmed.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Got the Foscam FTP running again. But every 3 mins. the home DD-WRT router reboots when FTP is enabled. When I turn it back off, everything is ok :?

--
Oct 28 20:13:48 DD-WRT user.info syslog: NAS : NAS lan (wl0 interface) successfully started
Oct 28 20:13:48 DD-WRT user.info syslog: NAS : NAS lan (wl1 interface) successfully started
Oct 28 20:13:49 DD-WRT user.info syslog: Proftpd : proftpd server successfully started
Oct 28 20:13:50 DD-WRT user.debug syslog: ttraff: data collection started
Oct 28 20:13:50 DD-WRT user.info syslog: resetbutton : resetbutton daemon successfully stopped
Oct 28 20:13:51 DD-WRT user.info syslog: reset button : resetbutton daemon successfully started
Oct 28 20:13:51 DD-WRT user.info syslog: klogd : kernel log daemon successfully stopped
Oct 28 20:13:51 DD-WRT kern.notice kernel: klogd: exiting
Oct 28 20:13:51 DD-WRT user.info syslog: syslogd : syslog daemon successfully stopped
Oct 28 20:13:51 DD-WRT syslog.info syslogd exiting
Oct 28 20:13:51 DD-WRT syslog.info syslogd started: BusyBox v1.23.0
Oct 28 20:13:51 DD-WRT user.info syslog: klogd : klog daemon successfully started
Oct 28 20:13:51 DD-WRT kern.notice kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.23.0 (2015-02-04 06:32:32 CET)
Oct 28 20:16:16 DD-WRT user.info syslog: proftpd : FTP Server successfully stopped

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I dont know where you found that firmware file but IIRC the date on it was really old, often when I get a link to WRT firmware I browse the file server and find a much newer release.. there not the greatest about updating links.

What router do you have WRT on again?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok thanks. No worries if it has not. Will this erase all the work you did? Then I re-import that backup file (nvrambak.bin) the router creates with the settings?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it should not erase any work I did, but backing up the config before hand is proabibly a good idea.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
it should not erase any work I did, but backing up the config before hand is proabibly a good idea.
Thanks. Updated router. It lost some of your settings bc the VPN stopped working. Imported the backup file and vpn works again instantly. Best of all, I got the foscam to FTP working great. Saves an image every few mins to a folder on the USB memory stick. Changing the passwords to something more complex.

Think I might just make a trip up to cabin in the coming weeks to upgrade NVR firmware and see if I can set on an FTP locally on the Asus router for the NVR to save dock images to a folder. That might be a lot simpler since I don't know anything about scripts and or coding. I'm afraid I'm just messing things up and opening my self up to security issues.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
try setting up the FTP Snapshot saving on your Dahua PTZ again; DD-WRT is likely running a completely different FTP Server than your OEM Asus Firmware.. it might just work now if your lucky.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It was worth a shot. But same story. Dahua NVR test ok but no images every appear in the destination folder. Either an issue with the old firmware or I don't have the settings correct to push a photo to ftp.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Actually turning it back on kills the router again. Is it possible that the router senses too many ftp request in a short period of time and shuts down for security? I remember reading something about that and they wanted me to add code to implement this in one of the tutorials.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no it wouldent shut down; it might shut off the ftp server.. but not the whole router; is it rebooting or just hanging?

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Rebooting. I can do without the NVR ftp. I will just do it with the ASUS next time I make a trip.

The fasciam photos are being dropped in a folder called "dock" yet there is no folder on the mac OS X extended formatted thumb drive. I can access the files through and FTP app but can't find them or see that they are eating up data on the thumb drive. But the funny thing is that when I remove the thumb stick the ftp keep uploading to the FTP site. And the router shows the USB stick is disconnecting. Where else could the files be going? so weird.

Is there a hidden file structure it creates that can not be accessed from the thumb drive? Or are they uploading somewhere else.

This is where they are all at: [h=1]Index of ftp://admin:@192.168.1.1/dock/[/h]

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
they are proabibly uploading somewhere else; you want that thumb drive formatted fat32.. I dont think Linux does HFS+ very well last time I tried.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
ftp 555.pngftp4.png

reformatted it to MS DOT on osx

Where else can they possibly go? There is no storage at the cabin or on the cameras. and they appear to keep uploading to the ftp (ftp://192.168.1.1/dock/) with the USB unplugged. So confused.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the paths might be absolute, check it with a ftp client.. the path for your camera might be /mnt/sda1/dock instead of /dock

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi guys. I wanted to report back since it has been awhile.

1. Is it possible to make the Dahua PTZ run a camera tour on its own? Design the tour then let it run no matter if smart pss is open or not?

2. Putting tomatoe on my home router caused some issues. Not sure if it was the ftp or VPN or the firmware on net gear wdr4500. But it kept crashing. Eventually it crashed so hard it was flashing a corrupted firmware light and I thought it was bricked. I figured out a way to get it restored and working so was forced to put stock firmware back on it.

3. All Equipment at remote site has remained reliable for 4 months in snow and cold. No reboots needed. I'm very impressed with that. Power has gone out and everything reconnected on its own.! Need to add a sun blind to one outside camera. Sun makes a bad glare at certain times of the day and when it rains, it can obscure camera.

4. Dahua IDMSS iPhone app continues to crash. Works with their support team and they turned quiet and stopped answering emails. I don't think they have a clue why it doesn't work. I've tried everyone on my side over and over. There is no rhyme or reason other then I need to update firmware on nvr when I can get access. They have since pulled their other new app they released a called easy 4ip. Meaning they are prob confident in their iOS apps. And had a major flaw. Anyone know more about that?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1. yes but a camera in constant motion will wear/tear faster; and if bound up for any reasons, say frozen solid and packed with snow.. it could cause severe issues.

no idea about em pulling easy4ip; still have not tried using it.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Imo idmss is way better than easy 4 ip.gui looks nicer and settings/controls more simpler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk