Need help picking out Equipment for remote Location- Needs to boot back up easily

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It'll be under event if you have it, if not we got firmware for those too that should help..

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Awesome!!!! I'll think positive and hope that when I upgrade the firmware those menus will appear.

It's going to be a bit until I can get to it. So I'll make a plan and get organized and make sure I upgrade the correct firmware version. Thanks for both of your help. I think IVS will be a better option over the motion sensors for now do to the changing snow height and complexity of more wires. Then come summer add a motion detector or in strategic choke point areas.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Caligirl,
This might be bad news. To enable IVS, you have to use the NVR user interface, ie: you have to be at NVR. You can't enable IVS using by surfing in w/ a browser.

In Setting, System, General, General
you'll reach the screen in the attached pic.
The bottom check box is
"IVS Enable"

Out of the box, my NVR didn't support IVS.
I needed to reflash the NVR.
When ya planning on going to the cabin?

Fastb

Preview attachment 20170127_133710.jpg

20170127_133710.jpg
1.3 MB

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can't make it up there for a few weeks so there is no rush. Plus the cable line snapped in the snow, so no access right now. But if you can't modify the IVS remotely then I'm not sure I can set it up correctly and leave and have everything play out well. Or can you adjust IVS with the new OSX Smart PSS app remotely once I get the new firmware installed on the NVR?

Is IVS available on something like Blue Iris?

Downed Cable line in the snow. Cable company says two months to get an appointment bc they are busy....crazy.

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
built in IVS wont work w/BlueIris, but it comes with its own video analytics thats even better..

sux bout that cable line, did it have a steel runner cable? dont look like it..

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Caligirl,

Sorry to hear about the cable and delays.
if you can't modify the IVS remotely
Let's be clear & careful....
You can't ENABLE ivs remotely.
Once enabled, you can MODIFY the ivs rules, tripwires, intrusion zone, etc. remotely.

Fastb

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, thanks good to know.

The one the main house had two wires, one to carry the cable weight and one was the cable. But it still didn't look super strong, and if you watch that video above it had 3-4" of snow and ice on a 30-40 ft. stretch of cable. This cable is owned and operated by the cable company I believe. The box is locked and says I can't touch it or open it. So they are in charge of getting the cable from the telephone pole on the street to the house. I'm not sure they would let me dictate how they do it. The other cable to the small house had no support. But I think the snow blower broke the wire closer to the telephone pole and that area had the weight of two cables and the power of a snow blower against it. I'd like to bury the cable lines this summer if they allow it to avoid this next season. Or at least lay an underground water proof cable on the forest floor vs in the air where there is tension. We buried the power line last time we remodeled.

Good to know, that when I get IVS installed I can still access it and adjust it remotely. I think blue iris will be the next step, but if the NVR works well with IVS there may be no need to spend another $500-800 on a computer and blue iris and all the extra setup associated.

I know I am missing a lot of activity but just reviewing recordings so video analytics is necessary.

What would be most useful would be a time-lapse recap of each day down to 30 seconds to look for random acts of movement or missing objects or anything that would reduce the review time each day.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Caligirl,

if you watch that video above it had 3-4" of snow and ice
I saw the jpg you posted. But not a video.

I assumed the "cable" was for your ISP. So how did you remotely get the pic of downed cable?

An alternative to burying the cable may be to bury some PVC. Or two in the same trench. If you ever wanted a sensor or camera at the road, you'd pull wire through the conduit.

I know I am missing a lot of activity but just reviewing recordings so video analytics is necessary.
Which IVS should help with. Then you look for events on the timeline of the playback screen

There was also a thread on how you can use IVS on recorded video. IVS feature like abandoned object detection or missing object. The common example is someone leaves a suitcase in an open area. So you highlight the object, and run IVS on recorded video. It finds the spot in the recorded video. I think @nayr said he's used this in the past. (I've never used it, so my details are sketchy)

Fastb

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
enable basic motion detection and it should flag motion on your timelines, will be alot of falses but its better than nothing.. you need it enabled for the search for activity feature fastb is describing anyhow.. you can do that remotely no problem.

there might be IVS limitations remotely if you have built in PoE, my 4216-4K honors IVS events and records them and SmartPSS plays them back and shows them even in recordings.. but I cannot configure IVS on the cameras through the NVR WebUI only the NVR OSD and SmartPSS.. for some reason im lacking this ability but everything else works.. for drawing the rules and setting the lines I connect directly to the cameras WebUI w/Safari and do all that.

With the updated SmartPSS for mac I've moved most of my cameras over to h265 (all those that support it) and starting to use IVS more and more.

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
built in IVS wont work w/BlueIris, but it comes with its own video analytics thats even better..

sux bout that cable line, did it have a steel runner cable? dont look like it..
Blue iris has pretty good motion detection but I've not found any kind of tripwire or anything, if it's there I would love to know where.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe it has zone crossing thats roughly equivalent.. put up 2 zones right next toeachother and the line between them is what gets crossed and you can specify direction much the same.. probably less prone to false's since you can specify areas to start tracking objects but ive not used it so im just speculating.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
FastB, the cable line is the same wire you see going across the screen in the video below loaded up with snow. We have an active neighbor who sent me the photo of the cable line laying on the driveway.

I'll dig up the old thread and keep educating myself about IVS, I wasn't find good results on google searches.

I had basic motion enabled, but with the forest, there is sooo much movement that everything was getting flagged even after lots of targeting and adjustments in only certain areas of the screen. But then again, at night time everything settles down. But that is when the spiders and moths crawl up to the cameras and flag the motion hours on end : )

Hmm guess the only way to really know is to get up there and update and start playing around with the menus.

Zone crossing and object missing should be significantly better then pure motion detection on video. Excited to try it.

You would think with a computer app like blue iris you could really get detailed about video analytics even if it had to search through the video after the fact.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe it has zone crossing thats roughly equivalent.. put up 2 zones right next toeachother and the line between them is what gets crossed and you can specify direction much the same.. probably less prone to false's since you can specify areas to start tracking objects but ive not used it so im just speculating.
I will test

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
caligirl,

Increase your Data Plan with your ISP.
With more GB blasting down the cable, it will warm the cable and prevent snow build up!
Especially if you're sending "hot" imagery!;)

To find info about IVS, googling the www might be a needle in haystack proposition.
The search options on this forum are better than average. Personally, I use an alternative search that yields better matches for me.
Use the google switch of "site:weburl". Matches will be from that one site only
Google search string eg:
"ivs", intrusion, "dahua", site:ipcamtalk.com

1) All the google search results will be from this forum.
2) The quotes require every search result to include "IVS" and "dahua"

This eliminates sites selling stuff, sites with the word intrusion without the other stuff, etc.

Happy surfing!
Fastb

PS: maybe I should post this as a new thread. Many forum folks might benefit (as compared to this being buried on page 13 about picking equipment for remote locations)

If anyone is listening (in addition to caligirl and nayr), please share your thoughts.

Last edited:

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Caligirl,

Here's a piv of IVS in action. Green line is tracked "object"
Blue lines turn red when "crossed"
I'm using both "tripwire" and "intrusion zone" simultaneously.
Redundancy helps - more push notifications to gDMSS tells me an event is legit.
That walker will be picked up by a driveway IVS cam, so more push notifications will result.
A single notification? Meh.....

IVS.jpg

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Two Months! Wow, yeah I'd consider burying some PVC conduit, have it all setup and ready. And have them pull the cable in the pvc. The guy doing the fixing probably won't care one way or the other. Leave a string in the conduit so it makes it easy peasy to pull the cable.

Don't bother trying to tell them on the phone what you want, either you or your neighbor "supervise" the repair. ;)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah the journeyman whom comes out will be your best bet, explain to him your cameras and you need something a bit more reliable.. if you already have conduit down he'll gladly use it.

I called em out once when I redid the conduit on the back of my house.. because I dont have any coax crimpers anymore, they cut the end off and yanked it through my conduit and put a new end back on.. didnt even charge me but im on business line and I think I might get a lil better customer service than residential.. since your line is already broken, this is a good time to get it buried, but you'll have to burry it then call em out I suspect.

Last edited:

BLKMGK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FYI getting the string in the PVC is as easy as having a vacuum cleaner handy and tying a tuft of something to the end of the string :)