Need Help tweaking HFW5231E-Z12 for night @ 240ft

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
First of all, my minimum viable goal is human readable plate, ANPR capable output would be a bonus. Anyone have luck with such long distance and want to share their settings?

Second, daylight is already good to go, although dawn/dusk would be hit or miss due to the challenging lighting condition.

so, I tried parking my car at the targeted spot at night and the plate is readable while the car is stationary, but as soon as it is moving the plate blur into a mess even at 1/1000. IR is set to 100% manually already

Horizontal angle is about 7 degree, not much option to change this.

Vertical angle is adjustable I can mount it from about 15ft down to about 4ft. Currently testing it at 4ft (just because its a easy location) but I think the headlights are shining directly into the camera at this height, but even cars pointing away still have blurry plate, I actually have better readable rate with cars coming toward the camera than away.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here are my settings for the 5231-Z12E that I was able to read plates at 220 feet:

1619410474299.png

This was approaching the limits I felt of the camera. You could probably get it with more IR.

This distance gave me a straighter shot, but as I played with it, I could make the angle a lot less ideal at a closer distance of 175 feet (so still out there) and get almost every plate.

I know from your other threads you do not have the wiggle room since you are sending it between two houses LOL.

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I will try it tomorrow night. (Trying to see what I get from tonight's current setting) Question: why the extreme low sharpness?

another thing is my z12 don't have near and far ir light option, is that limited to the z12e?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I found that the higher sharpness ended up adding pixelated noise to the plate and I wanted it to pop and the lower sharpness kept the plate mostly white and provided cleaner letters and numbers.

Surprised it doesn't have near/far IR. Maybe a firmware?

1619413045661.png

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's already been updated to v16... Came with v10, neither have near/far.

I mean physically there are 2 wide angle led and 2 long range led, but do not have separate control in the UI

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since you would blast them both at 100% it probably doesn't matter.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mine is: 2.800.0000002.0.R, Build Date: 2019-01-11

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Those settings only show up after you change the IR setting to manual. If you use the auto setting, there is no user changeable settings.
even at manual I only have 100% not near/far, but again this is a z12 and not a z12e so that maybe why

Attachments

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use a separate IR Emitter Axton IR Illuminator AT-11E-S.11ES382010 (20 degrees x 10 degrees) which has a 360' range. Works great and clear reads at night from long distance.
Way too pricey and bulky to get past the spouse! :D

Their nano cube may work, but that's indoor only and at $132 still more than I want to spend (yes i'm VERY cheap) :D at that price range i think the black oak spot light is a better option at $108

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
and of course the 2 cars after that have blank white plate sigh.......

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What about putting the exposure back to 1/2000 and upping the brightness?

Davahad

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Way too pricey and bulky to get past the spouse! :D

Their nano cube may work, but that's indoor only and at $132 still more than I want to spend (yes i'm VERY cheap) :D at that price range i think the black oak spot light is a better option at $108
Looks like it is around $289 now and it also comes with a lifetime manufacturers warranty.

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looks like it is around $289 now and it also comes with a lifetime manufacturers warranty.
If I can't dial it in, I think I can switch the LED's lens, I may try an el-cheapo 4 LEDs illuminator and get some 5 degree lens on ebay and see if that works

Davahad

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I can't dial it in, I think I can switch the LED's lens, I may try an el-cheapo 4 LEDs illuminator and get some 5 degree lens on ebay and see if that works
When looking at Axton IR at night it looks like a highly focused flood light going down the street. I tried several of Chinese IR emitters that have 40 IR Emitters 300' and they are junk and no where near the rated distance and light is scattered. Could of used that $80 towards the Axton to start but then again had no idea.

In talking with Axton engineer they have emitters that will go over a mile if I recall correctly. The one I have has 3 IR emitters total on it and it really is 300+ feet. That with the lifetime warranty + advanced replacement if it fails was all I needed to be sold.

Attached are a few pics from late night using OpenAlpr.

Attachments

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I read you, but It will be like $25 not even $80..... It seems I have borderline enough IR just from the 2 far and 2 near IR LED from the 5231E-Z12.... just need a touch more to bump it over the edge.

I need something small and unobtrusive. I know the Amazon cheap illuminator will never cover the rated distance but....
1) that's for general scene illumination.
2) we are targeting IR retro-reflective license plate.

Some 3 or 4 LED like this with round housing (easier for me to aim without the rectangle housing mounted at an odd looking angle)

With these LENS or I found some 15 degree IR lens too

Hoping that will be discrete and just enough additional IR to light the plate up

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Davahad

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Better off turning off the IR on the camera (no spiderwebs) and build a discrete housing for the Axton.