Need help understanding Hikvision NVR specs

sfnetwork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Since I added more cameras in my NVR (DS-7608NI-E2/8P) taking all channels now (mostly only 1080P), locally on the NVR, everything is fine but when live viewing from IVMS4200 from computer, iOS or web UI, some of my cams have issues streaming the main streams. (and even worse if I try setting some of my cams to higher resolution than 1080p)
Since when live viewing directly from cam instead of NVR, it's fine, I figured the NVR is limited at this point.

I ordered a DS-7616NI-I2/16P

There is one specification I don't really understand in Hikvision site: decoding capability.

My existing NVR (with issues)
DS-7608NI-E2/8P:
Decoding
Capability: 5-ch@1080P
Live view / Playback: 6MP/5MP/3MP/1080P/UXGA/720P/VGA/4CIF/DCIF/2CIF/CIF/QCIF

DS-7616NI-I2/16P:
Decoding
Capability: 4-ch@8MP,16-ch@1080P
Live view / Playback: 12MP/8MP/6MP/5MP/4MP/3MP/1080p/UXGA/720p/VGA/4CIF/DCIF/2CIF/CIF/QCIF

I really don't get it... for the first one (the one I'm replacing), what does it mean "Capability: 5-ch@1080P" in real life usage? It should support up to 6MP and has 8 channels. I understand that it can't do 6MP al all channels at the same time but 5X1080p? What's the point to have 8 channels?
I feel there is something I don't understand correctly.

I'm changing the NVR for my remote live viewing issues but also to have more channels and H265 but I need to understand the exact limit here (with the new one) to plan my setup correctly...

New one is Capability: "4-ch@8MP,16-ch@1080P"
What does it actually mean? My goal in my setup is to have most of my cams at 1080p and some outside cams at around 5-6 MP, how much cams/channels can I use?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

munkiep

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
SF, looking at hikvision's website, and clicking on the link for the DS-7608NI-E2/8P data sheet, the decoding section on the first page of the PDF states this: "Live View/Playback Resolution 6 MP/5 MP/3 MP/1080p/UXGA/720p/VGA/4CIF/DCIF/2CIF/CIF/QCIF" & "Capability 8-ch @ 720p, 6-ch @ 1080p". Here is the link i looked at: https://us.hikvision.com/sites/default/files/data_sheet/10381_vsds7600nieseries100115us.pdf
maybe its bad translation for your region (Qc?) or just a typo?
I'm no expert, but 16 channels at 1080p is the same amount of pixels as 4 channels at 4K (8MP), so im thinking you can use all 16 channels, but the max amount of pixels cant exceed 33,177,600 pixels. From what you're asking, if I'm correct about this, You could run a maximum of six 5mp cameras (29,491,200 pixels) and one camera at 1080p before you hit your limit of 33,177,600 pixels (with some left over).
someone correct me if I'm in error
sorry i cant be of much help

sfnetwork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hmm, this would make sense and would help planing (knowing the full pixel limit).
You're right about the site, I looked more and found the same info as you did.

sfnetwork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The weird part in my case, on the DS-7608NI-E2/8P, is that locally on the NVR console, I have 0 problem viewing all 8 channels (even some higher than 1080P), recordings are also fine (remote viewing those recordings is also fine)... Really just about remote live viewing (IVMS4200 PC, iOS, WebUI, etc...)
Could this be a secondary decoding process with less priority on the NVR? (that would explain a bit I guess...)

I rarely use the console, just remote so this would be my priority...

munkiep

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
maybe because you're exceeding that capability of 6ch @1080p? what happens if you go into the GUI and change ALL your cameras resolutions to 720p? I'm just guessing here...

sfnetwork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'll try, thanks for your input, I appreciate.
I look forward to test with the new NVR as well (using the same setup and use higher res/bandwidth)

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
its the incoming band width your limited to I have done this on a spare 7608 with full resolution 2385 turrets
I could only reach 5 cameras before it would lock up
but switched all the cams to h265+ and the load has dropped and the nvr can handle them so if you can implement h265+ for lower band width give it a try

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Also look at your upload speed from your ISP. If you are using this system at your house, chance are your upload speeds are 2-3mbps.

sfnetwork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
its the incoming band width your limited to I have done this on a spare 7608 with full resolution 2385 turrets
I could only reach 5 cameras before it would lock up
but switched all the cams to h265+ and the load has dropped and the nvr can handle them so if you can implement h265+ for lower band width give it a try
Ok so it would be more a bandwidth limit maybe?
I’ll test a bit.

BTW this NVR doesn’t support h265, how did you do this on it?

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
DS-7608/7616NI-I2/8P(16P)
Embedded Plug & Play 4K NVR

• • Third-party network cameras supported
    • Up to 12 Megapixels resolution recording
    • Support 1-ch HDMI, 1-ch VGA, HMDI at up to 4K(3840x2160)

resolution

• 8/16-ch network cameras can be connected with
    80M/160M incoming bandwidth
    • Up to 2 SATA interfaces
    • Plug & Play with up to 16 independent PoE network
    interfaces
    • Support dual-os to ensure high reliablility of system

running

•Support various VCA detection alarm and VCA search

•Support H.265/H.264/MPEG4 video formats
    make sure you have the latest firm ware for this unit it can be found on the Europe portal that will help.
    your cameras must have h265+ enabled too, not all cameras have this, some have h264+ so enable that on the cameras web page
    enable virtual host and hit there web page there and hit save go back to the nvr web page and make sure that it is saved there
    also reboot the nvr
    my 4k test system i was exactly like you why in the hell whats the point but with the help of this new encoding it has helped the system run all 2385 i can pull up 8 screens on the lan and watch them all time sync together where as before they would all freeze up and it would spit the dummy and crash it was so frustrating at first
    so i had to fine tune the frame rates and bit rates to get the best i could out of it as i only have 80mbs incoming
    out of the box not going to work
    fine tune your system and it will

sfnetwork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
DS-7608/7616NI-I2/8P(16P)
Embedded Plug & Play 4K NVR

• • Third-party network cameras supported
    • Up to 12 Megapixels resolution recording
    • Support 1-ch HDMI, 1-ch VGA, HMDI at up to 4K(3840x2160)

resolution

• 8/16-ch network cameras can be connected with
    80M/160M incoming bandwidth
    • Up to 2 SATA interfaces
    • Plug & Play with up to 16 independent PoE network
    interfaces
    • Support dual-os to ensure high reliablility of system

running

•Support various VCA detection alarm and VCA search

•Support H.265/H.264/MPEG4 video formats
    make sure you have the latest firm ware for this unit it can be found on the Europe portal that will help.
    your cameras must have h265+ enabled too, not all cameras have this, some have h264+ so enable that on the cameras web page
    enable virtual host and hit there web page there and hit save go back to the nvr web page and make sure that it is saved there
    also reboot the nvr
    my 4k test system i was exactly like you why in the hell whats the point but with the help of this new encoding it has helped the system run all 2385 i can pull up 8 screens on the lan and watch them all time sync together where as before they would all freeze up and it would spit the dummy and crash it was so frustrating at first
    so i had to fine tune the frame rates and bit rates to get the best i could out of it as i only have 80mbs incoming
    out of the box not going to work
    fine tune your system and it will
I thought you were talking talking about the 7608NI-E2, sorry.

sfnetwork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, I have done some test and the bandwidth / resolution limit of the 7608NI-E2/8P is the limit like all of you confirmed.
I made the test of changing all cams to 720p/3072Mbps and it was flawless using all 8 channels.

So the new NVR I ordered (7616NI-I2/16P) won't be for nothing, it should resolve all my issue (plus I'll have H265 I will be able to use on some of the cams that supports it)
Plus, I'll finally be able to have the new gen Hik firmware (4.1.50).

When I started my camera project, I didn't read enough, took a lot for granted and made some mistakes that I had to correct and took of lot of my time:
-NVR capabilities and limits
-Network cables (I didn't know better and installed CAT6 CCA ether cables everywhere in the house (walls, attic, etc...). I had issues with POE cams for the longest cables and had to redo everything using full copper CAT6 cables)

Really looking forward for my new NVR now :)

Thanks a lot guys for your help I appreciate it.
I'll report back after the new NVR will be setup.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
I know you have ordered a new NVR, but my recomm ndation is to return it and get an inexpensive PC from eBay and run blue Iris. I found the Hikvision NVR interface a bit glitchy and stiffling. I replaced it with a ~$300 i5-6500 PC (plus $75 8 port PoE switch) plus Blue Iris ($80 including both Android and iOS apps). Couldn't be happier. I can add another switch anytime if I want more cams, and the software is a dream compared to the Hik interface. Super happy with the switch.

Good luck whatever you decide. Now I have to find someone to buy my almost-new NVR....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

munkiep

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i'm with you @sfnetwork. i did just enough research to know that hikvision and dahua would be the best options for what i wanted, but now that im into it a little more and see the limitations of PnP NVRs, instead of going with a higher capacity NVR when i upgrade (from my current 4 channel hikvision nvr), it looks like a dedicated pc running BI is my next move.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
I have both hik and blue iris and blue iris is really awesome just read the wiki page on it
And if your a button monkey and like to fine tune stuff blue iris is the go

sfnetwork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, I got the new NVR (DS-7616NI-I2 / 16P) and everything works flawlessly (9 cams with some with higher res than 1080p, some H265+, etc...)
Live viewing from console and remotely (Web, IVMS4200, iOS, etc...) is working without issue.

So it really was the NVR limits (7608NI-E2)
And as bonus, I got access to most recent firmware (4.1.50)
Also finally have access to capture on timer (to do timelapse).

I'm testing Blue Iris at the same time, really a learning curve lol. First impression isn't great vs Hik but I need to dive in much deeper in the parameters, etc... which I didn't really do yet.
I am aware that I need to read up and familiarize myself with it to really be able to compare (because it's much less plug and play than Hik NVR. But I'll try on my free time bit by bit...

BTW, thanks to all of you for you help and suggestions, really appreciated :)

sinjin

n3wb
Reaction score
What is the "breaking point" for BlueIris on a dedicated PC? I've used this setup for 12 cameras @ 1080p without a problem, but now that we just went to 24 cameras the PC can barely keep up at 720p with only 6-8 recording at a given time. I've been researching a move to two 16ch NVRs because I think the PC-based approach has limits. Any thoughts?

(current PC spec = i7-3770S @ 3.10GHz | 16 GB RAM | 64-bit | Win10 | GeForce GT 640)