Need help updating firmware on an older DS7616NI-E2/8P NVR

Diceclay

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, excuse my newbie question, but I have an older DS7616NI-E2/8P NVR running the firmware V3.0.8_140825, which does not give me the option of the new HIKVision DDNS. I am fearing they will close off the old DDNS website soon.

Can I seek your guidance on which firmware version I should be using to upgrade the NVR V3.0.8_140825?

I have done a search and found this link DOWNLOAD PORTAL

If this is the correct firmware I note that there are so many updates since . Would anyone have a update schedule to follow it in steps, instead of going from V3.0.8_140825 to say directly to V3.4.96 build17092.?

I only ask in case anyone on here has done this upgrade before.

Thanking you in advance and your assistance would be very much appreciated.

thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If this is the correct firmware I note that there are so many updates since
That does seem to be the correct source for your model of NVR.
Are you convinced it's an 'English, upgradeable' model? The -NI suffix suggests that.

NVR firmware updates for this model are monolithic - just a complete flash partition re-write, so less risk of problems skipping intermediate versions.
But I'd suggest doing it in a few stages, as there is a better chance that the stored configuration will be translated to the updated structure on the way.
It would be prudent to note down the details of the existing configuration as best you can, also export the IPC configuration which holds the camera network values.

One possible problem though.
That version of firmware does not enforce the camera language match requirement, newer versions do.
The consequence will be, if you have China region cameras that do not present as language=1 (EN), they will be rejected with a 'Camera language mismatch' error.

Diceclay

n3wb
Reaction score
That does seem to be the correct source for your model of NVR.
Are you convinced it's an 'English, upgradeable' model? The -NI suffix suggests that.

NVR firmware updates for this model are monolithic - just a complete flash partition re-write, so less risk of problems skipping intermediate versions.
But I'd suggest doing it in a few stages, as there is a better chance that the stored configuration will be translated to the updated structure on the way.
It would be prudent to note down the details of the existing configuration as best you can, also export the IPC configuration which holds the camera network values.

One possible problem though.
That version of firmware does not enforce the camera language match requirement, newer versions do.
The consequence will be, if you have China region cameras that do not present as language=1 (EN), they will be rejected with a 'Camera language mismatch' error.
Hi Alastairstevenson

Thanks for the response. I ran the two sets of commands through telnet and they both say that Language = 1.

In relation to the cameras, I have 5 of the DS-2CD2332-I with firmware V5.2.0_140721. Does anyone know if they will be ok if I upgrade the NVR firmware?

I'm thinking conservatively to upgrade like this:

1. V3.4.0 build150929 Multi-lingual
2. V3.4.62 build160503 Multi-lingual
3. V3.4.80 build160718 English+Multi-lingual
4. V3.4.90 build161008 English+Multi-lingual
5. V3.4.96 build170921 - Maybe wait awhile

Is there anyone that has upgraded this time of nvr with the firmware above?

Thanks again

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
In relation to the cameras, I have 5 of the DS-2CD2332-I with firmware V5.2.0_140721. Does anyone know if they will be ok if I upgrade the NVR firmware?
With telnet/SSH available on that version, you can use the shell command 'prtHardInfo' to see the language that the camera presents.
You can also test with
http://<camera_IP_address>/SDK/language

If you didn't buy them as 'English / upgradeable' there is a fair chance they are running 'hacked to English' firmware, in which case you could always do the 'enhanced mtd hack' to convert them to English are upgrade if you wish.
Hikvision DS-2CD2x32-I (R0) brick-fix tool / full upgrade method / fixup roundup.

I have a couple of 7816 CN region NVRs which started off with the 3.0.8 firmware and English menus.
These have been updated progressively up to version 3.4.96 but with modded firmware to preserve the English menus.
The original English persona can be retained via progressive web GUI updates from 3.0.8 but on a CN region NVR this gets lost if ever you do a 'reset to defaults'.