Need help with configuring 2 IP cameras on 1 CAT6 cable.

RoyR

n3wb
Reaction score
I am reasonably skilled in electronics, but I am a novice with security cameras. I have been using a system for my country home that was set up by a professional security company, but their replacement cameras and their labor are too expensive. I am hoping to go it alone and manage the system myself.
I have a Speco hybrid DVR which supports up to 8 cameras. It supports both Analog and IP cameras. The analog cameras use the lower number ports and the IP cameras use the rest, i.e. 4 analog and 4 IP or 6 analog and 2 IP, etc. This mix is defined in the hybrid set-up. If I tell it I have 5 analog cameras, it assumes the last 3 are IP.
My current configuration has 6 analog cameras and 1 IP camera. I have 1 open port. The IP camera is powered locally about 150 ft from my house on a power pole. I ran CAT6 cable to the pole, so it is wired. At the DVR end it connectts to the DVR via one Ethernet port. There is only 1 Ethernet port on the back of the DVR.
The power pole is too far from my house to use Wi-Fi.
I want to add another camera on the same remote pole but facing the other direction. I want to share the existing CAT6 cable for the 2nd camera. I have been told that I need a switch. I can also power this camera locally so I will not need to have POE.
My question is: "How do I share one CAT6 cable for two IP cameras?"
I am guessing that I can use different twisted pairs from the CAT6 cable and connect the DVR end to a switch, then connect the switch to the one Ethernet port on the DVR.
That is pretty much all I know. I would like to get recommendations for a switch and any better suggestions on how to configure this network .
Any guidance would be deeply appreciated.
Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am reasonably skilled in electronics, but I am a novice with security cameras. I have been using a system for my country home that was set up by a professional security company, but their replacement cameras and their labor are too expensive. I am hoping to go it alone and manage the system myself.
I have a Speco hybrid DVR which supports up to 8 cameras. It supports both Analog and IP cameras. The analog cameras use the lower number ports and the IP cameras use the rest, i.e. 4 analog and 4 IP or 6 analog and 2 IP, etc. This mix is defined in the hybrid set-up. If I tell it I have 5 analog cameras, it assumes the last 3 are IP.
My current configuration has 6 analog cameras and 1 IP camera. I have 1 open port. The IP camera is powered locally about 150 ft from my house on a power pole. I ran CAT6 cable to the pole, so it is wired. At the DVR end it connectts to the DVR via one Ethernet port. There is only 1 Ethernet port on the back of the DVR.
The power pole is too far from my house to use Wi-Fi.
I want to add another camera on the same remote pole but facing the other direction. I want to share the existing CAT6 cable for the 2nd camera. I have been told that I need a switch. I can also power this camera locally so I will not need to have POE.
My question is: "How do I share one CAT6 cable for two IP cameras?"
I am guessing that I can use different twisted pairs from the CAT6 cable and connect the DVR end to a switch, then connect the switch to the one Ethernet port on the DVR.
That is pretty much all I know. I would like to get recommendations for a switch and any better suggestions on how to configure this network .
Any guidance would be deeply appreciated.
Thanks
IPCamPower IPCP-EXT2P POE Powered 2 Port POE Extender Switch for IP Cameras - Nelly's Security