Need help with dahua product IPC-WL46A

Jason Zhu

n3wb
Reaction score
I Just received a dahua product sample: IPC-WL46A and need some help about how to install it?
Until now I have never seen a camera like this with only three unknown wires on the back. (The cameras I saw before have ports, such as network cable or SIAMESE CABLE)
Would anyone care to help me understand this camera and what the three lines mean?

PS: Just graduated from university and worked in the security industry for one year.
My current job is marketing and technical support. Personal desired career path is to develop towards Solution, product or technology
So have a lot of questions in this area

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This camera is a wifi camera and the three wires hook up like a floodlight or any other light fixture. A white, black, and green to connect corresponding color wires in the junction box that has power.

This is not a POE IP or analog siamese cable camera. It goes up like any other light fixture, it just happens to have a wifi camera on it.

Jason Zhu

n3wb
Reaction score
This camera is a wifi camera and the three wires hook up like a floodlight or any other light fixture. A white, black, and green to connect corresponding color wires in the junction box that has power.

This is not a POE IP or analog siamese cable camera. It goes up like any other light fixture, it just happens to have a wifi camera on it.

Thank you for your reply.

So these three wires are used to power the camera and its lights.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^^+
@Jason Zhu ,
I believe Canada is like the U.S. regarding the color codes for residential 120VAC, split phase, 3-wire service:
  • Black ==> HOT (120 VAC, LINE or L1)
  • White ==> Neutral (AC RETURN)
  • Green * ==> Ground (EARTH)
* or green with yellow stripe or bare (no insulation)

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Even the Dahua Quick Start Guide is no help if you have little or no electrical expertise. Note the suggestion I placed a red dot next to:

DahuaIPC-WL46A.jpg

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
wait, do these come bare wired?

That's going to make it very tricky for sale in Australia where electrical work requires an electrical license, which is something i doubt many camera installers would have.

Note the suggestion I placed a red dot next to:
I wonder now if they will even sell this in the Australian market.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
This kind of camera use a plug also not easy to install too, you have to get a socket at the installation place. So need some electrical skills.
A POE one maybe good, but the Floodlight need bit more power than the normal LED illumination on the full color cameras.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
wait, do these come bare wired?

That's going to make it very tricky for sale in Australia where electrical work requires an electrical license, which is something i doubt many camera installers would have.

I wonder now if they will even sell this in the Australian market.
I'm so sick of the terms "licensed contractor" or "certified installer", etc. IMO, it's nothing more than a way for the gov't make more money and have more say-so in more areas. More importantly, it's does not guaratee that the so-called contractor/installer will get it right. It DOES mean they know how to take a test. Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying there are not good ones out there, because there are...likely most of them. When they study and take the test it means they know what to do but you can't honestly depend that they WILL do what's right...there's no test for for honest or integrity in the process.

My entire family came close to be killed by a licensed HVAC contractor in CA in the 90's....I know of what I speak. And in the over 30 years I practiced my former profession in CA I saw and corrected the work of several licensed electrical contractors. A license of any kind tells me you may know what to do...it sure does NOT mean you will do it correctly or safely.

It does, however, insure that they can charge more for their services in most cases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^ +1 this exactly. @TonyR how many of these have you seen:
  • Family hires licensed electrician to install an outlet outside - they simply drill a hole thru an existing outlet to the outside and put a non-GFCI outside.
  • Licensed electrician connect 2 or more sets of wires to one set of screw lockdowns of an outlet to extend more outlets.
  • Licensed plumber that takes a hammer and busts a hole in the sewer pipe to connect to and then wrap a bread wrapper around it instead of using a proper fitting.
  • The drive-by inspection where the inspector doesn't even get out of their vehicle and simply hands the approval sticker to a worker to place on the panel.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyway, the argument is pointless because the camera in question will absolutely require an electrician to wire it in if it's to be used legally in Australia.
Which is a shame.
If it at least came with a plug it could be used with an existing outlet.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anyway, the argument is pointless because the camera in question will absolutely require an electrician to wire it in if it's to be used legally in Australia.
Which is a shame.
If it at least came with a plug it could be used with an existing outlet.
Can YOU legally put a plug on it and then plug it into an existing outlet?

Jason Zhu

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm so sick of the terms "licensed contractor" or "certified installer", etc. IMO, it's nothing more than a way for the gov't make more money and have more say-so in more areas. More importantly, it's does not guaratee that the so-called contractor/installer will get it right. It DOES mean they know how to take a test. Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying there are not good ones out there, because there are...likely most of them. When they study and take the test it means they know what to do but you can't honestly depend that they WILL do what's right...there's no test for for honest or integrity in the process.

My entire family came close to be killed by a licensed HVAC contractor in CA in the 90's....I know of what I speak. And in the over 30 years I practiced my former profession in CA I saw and corrected the work of several licensed electrical contractors. A license of any kind tells me you may know what to do...it sure does NOT mean you will do it correctly or safely.

It does, however, insure that they can charge more for their services in most cases.
Totally agree, I think certificates can be considered as a business model to make money. Logically anyone can create a certification and make money from it, if he makes this certificate famous enough and makes it a necessary warrant in this industry.

So now the certificate is more in favor of the props that I can make money rather than the guarantee of the quality of personal work.