Need help with Mounting Camera

skjom

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So about to mount and install my first IP camera.

I'm okay with the software and network side , but not with the hardware mounting side.
I have a Hikvision bullet that connects via PoE to a NVR.

I have purchased a mounting box.
Drilled a hole to put the cable through.

I'm also not sure how watertight needs to be.
Camera will be on window sill.
I placed some rubber on bottom of camera to try seal it to box.

I'm trying to figure a way to run the cable now out of the box.
The box has connectors on the sides which pop out but the gland terminals seem to be an M25 gland which has a 6-13 mm diameter cable allowance , my cable is only 5.8mm, so will be sort of loose.
So I was wondering what is the best connector gland to run the cable out of the box or how people run the cat 6 cables in and out of these junction boxes?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have purchased a mounting box.
Drilled a hole to put the cable through.

I'm also not sure how watertight needs to be.
Camera will be on window sill.
As water tight as possible to prevent moisture from the connection.

1) Place the hole you are using on the bottom, use silicone to close the gap where the 5.8mm cat 6 will come into the box.
2) If the Cat 6 is running along the surface create a loop at the bottom of junction box to allow water to drip from the cat 6 cable down away from the box.
3) You can wrap the connection with water tight plumbing tape... the type which you can use to stop leaks in pipes.

check out this:
when your RJ45 connector gets wet

skjom

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks

I thought I'd run the cable out through a gland as that's what the junction box seems set up for.

Got a M20 gland but as seen below it's too small.

A bigger gland (M25) fits the premade hole in the junction box, but then it's too wide at inlet.
The gland is suppose to tighten around cable, if I could find an M25 gland which has a small diameter at entry it would work I think.
There must be a way to do this

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
If you can't find an M25 with a small enough inlet then wrap the cable with enough electrical tape that it fits the M25 gland. Make sure you use a drip loop even with a waterproof gland.

skjom

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks i found an M25 5-12mm gland so that should work.

One further question, what thread size is on the Hikvision DS-2CD2032 mount , want to get some screws to mount to the junction box and locking nuts , but the hardware store nearby is rubbish, so was going to order few screws on net.

Attachments

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Decking or even drywall screws work fine. Your local hardware store must really suck if they don't have screws suitable for hanging a camera.