Need help with my set up.

Kaishasdad

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a set up consisting of a hikvision ds7608 nvr and 2 ds-2cd2142fwd-is plus 2 ds-2cd3345-l cameras. Being new to ip cams, I am trying to install this system for my home. For the life of me I cannot get the cameras working with the nvr. I get the them working when using my pc and using ivms 4200. I have looked at hundreds of clips and messages, read the manual more times than I can remember. Now at the point of bashing the lot with my hammer. Reached the point were I am now wondering if I am really this thick, am I missing something simple or is Hikvision really this difficult to set up. Now got eight camera positions loaded onto my nvr that I cant delete. Tried changing all the ip addresses, keep getting various messages on the camera management page such as, network unreachable, ip camera does not exist, ip camera exception, wrong password or username. All I want is the picture from the camera. Can anyone spare some info to help this useless numpty get the bloody thing working. If not its going up for sale. Thanks.

Kaishasdad

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes poe ports, ip address is 192.168.1.12 ipv4 default gateway is 192.168.1.1, I can access all four cameras via browser, I can also access the nvr but do not get live view on the nvr access via browser.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes poe ports,
How many? 8?
I can access all four cameras via browser
Connected how?
With what IP addresses?
That suggests the cameras are on the LAN, not connected to the NVR PoE ports, correct?
If so, then in the NVR web GUI, under Camera Management, you need to change a channel to 'Manual' instead of Plug&Play, and set the IP address to match that of the camera you want for that channel.

Kaishasdad

n3wb
Reaction score
How many? 8?

That suggests the cameras are on the LAN, not connected to the NVR PoE ports, correct?
If so, then in the NVR web GUI, under Camera Management, you need to change a channel to 'Manual' instead of Plug&Play, and set the IP address to match that of the camera you want for that channel.
Yes 8 poe but only using 4 as I only have 4 cameras. I have tried what you have said but get a parameter error message when doing this.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I can access all four cameras via browser,
How can you do this if the cameras are on the NVR PoE ports? They are normally not directly accessible.
internal nic ipv4 address is 192.168.264.1
(assuming this is not a typo and the real value is 192.168.254.1 And assuming the NVR LAN interface is connected to your router/switch)
Suggestion to try:
In the NVR web GUI, Camera Management, note down the IP addresses of the channels you have the 4 cameras connected to, they will likely be something like 192.168.264.2 and 3 and 4 and 5
If you don't have SADP, install it : Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.
With no need to change the IP address of the PC, connect it to an unused NVR PoE port.
SADP will show the 4 cameras, and the NVR, at it's 'Internal NIC' IP address.
Change the IP address of each camera to match the address you noted down for the channel it's connected to, the 192.168.264.2 etc addresses.
Set their default gateway to 192.168.264.1

Plug the PC back into the LAN, access the NVR web GUI, the cameras should be there in Live View.

Kaishasdad

n3wb
Reaction score
Really appreciate the help you are giving me. 192.168.254.1 is the ipv4 address value. Where this comes from I do not know. Can I change this to whatever I want? I only get images from the cameras when I connect them directly to my PC not via the nvr. I only get the NVR web gui when I connect this also direct to my pc, not if I connect it via my router. I have tried what you said and yes I got the nvr and the four cameras showing using SADP. However the NVR was not showing at its internal NIC ip address but at its ipv4 address of 192.168.1.12. I changed the camers address to what you said as you were correct in them having been assigned these addresses by the nvr. I changed the default gateway as you said but on the nvr I get the massage unable to locate network for each camera. I tried assigning the default gateway to 192.168.1.12 but got the same error message. I'm stuck again...sorry.

Kaishasdad

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone with any solution or is it time to bring out my driver for some golf practice?

Kaishasdad

n3wb
Reaction score
This is my set up as of today. My four cameras are connected to the Nvr. The Nvr is connected to my internet via the lan port. The Nvr is also connected to my pc via one of the spare poe ports on the Nvr. Using sadp I get the following result as seen below. When opening the Nvr via my pc I get the result shown below. I click on the link to download the plug in and it says downloading. It runs through the install. I close the browser and after the install completes, I reload the browser Nvr and get the same result. My modem ip is 192.168.0.1. The network settings showing on my nvr are as follows;

ipv4 Address 192.168.0.30
ipv4 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
ipv4 Default Gateway 192.168.0.1
MTU(Bytes) 1500
Preferred DNS Server 192.168.0.1
Internal NIC ipv4 Address 192.168.10.30

Camera management shows

D1 192.168.0.66 IPCamera01 HIKVISION
D2 192.168.0.63 IPCamera02 HIKVISION
D3 192.168.0.64 IPCamera03 HIKVISION
D4 192.168.0.65 IPCamera04 HIKVISION

all have status with a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside. When clicking this I get a message saying "this network is unreachable".

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
These all need to have their IP addresses changed to match the IP addresses as you will be able to see for the corresponding PoE channels on the NVR, which will be in the same range of the 'internal NIC' which you have noted as 192.168.10.30 If you don't already know what the NVR channels are set to - you can find them under Camera Management in the NVR web GUI when the PC is on the LAN.
Internal NIC ipv4 Address 192.168.10.30
That is an unusual value - have you customised it from what it was originally? Best not to.
You can change their IP addresses using SADP when the PC is connected to the spare PoE port, without needing to change the PC IP address.

*edit*
Camera management shows

On re-reading your post - it looks like you have customised the NVR PoE channels IP addresses to use LAN addresses.
If the cameras are on the NVR PoE ports - that is incorrect.
Those channels need to be in the same range as the 'internal NIC' IP address.

Kaishasdad

n3wb
Reaction score
These all need to have their IP addresses changed to match the IP addresses as you will be able to see for the corresponding PoE channels on the NVR, which will be in the same range of the 'internal NIC' which you have noted as 192.168.10.30 If you don't already know what the NVR channels are set to - you can find them under Camera Management in the NVR web GUI when the PC is on the LAN.

That is an unusual value - have you customised it from what it was originally? Best not to.
You can change their IP addresses using SADP when the PC is connected to the spare PoE port, without needing to change the PC IP address.

*edit*

On re-reading your post - it looks like you have customised the NVR PoE channels IP addresses to use LAN addresses.
If the cameras are on the NVR PoE ports - that is incorrect.
Those channels need to be in the same range as the 'internal NIC' IP address.
Hi and thanks for getting back to me. I have updated the firmware and changed the camera channels to the same range as the internal NIC ip address and hey presto...I have two of the cameras now working via the nvr...thank you so much for staying with me. My other two cameras, the DS-2CD2142FWD-IS cameras, are now giving an error status of "stream type is not supported", how do I go about fixing this, many thanks for your help I have been getting these up and running for weeks and can now finally see the end of the line.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey - well done for getting there!
My suggestions were a bit garbled.

DS-2CD2142FWD-IS cameras, are now giving an error status of "stream type is not supported"
Do you have h.265 enabled in the camera web GUI, not h.264?
Or perhaps too high a bitrate?
I don't know what the capabilities of that NVR are, it sounds like you may have exceeded them

Kaishasdad

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey - well done for getting there!
My suggestions were a bit garbled.

Do you have h.265 enabled in the camera web GUI, not h.264?
Or perhaps too high a bitrate?
I don't know what the capabilities of that NVR are, it sounds like you may have exceeded them
Dropped the resolution on three cameras to 1080p and one to 720p on record and all four cameras are now working.
Again thanks for your help.