Need help with Nvr5216-16p-4ks2E network setup

MrGoodCat

n3wb
Reaction score
So I've spent the major part of the day trying to set this up, I'm going to have to admit defeat and ask for some pro help here. Sorry in advance if what I'm asking is answered elsewhere, I tried to look but didn't find anything.

- I've got a Google Wifi setup, internet comes into the Google Wifi from the modem, another cable comes into the Google Wifi from my old router (which I've made into a dumb switch).

- The dumb switch has my pc connected to it, NAS and now the NVR (Dahua Nvr5216-16p-4ks2E)

- My pc is on IP 192.168.86.28 (gateway 192.168.86.1) so I've setup the NVR to have 192.168.86.80 (gateway 192.168.86.150), but I can't get any response from the NVR when I ping it from my pc..

- Cameras are on 192.168.86.1 to 192.168.86.8 for some reason, not sure why, because I set the default gateway on the NVR to 192.168.86.150 :S. I've restarted several times with the same result.

- I installed Lechange software on my pc (old easy4ip) and it can detect the NVR somehow, but I can't seem to connect to it (it just says wrong password whatever I enter, I obviously made sure I enter the same password as I have selected on the NVR but it just doesn't seem to work?)

This is where I'm stuck, I'd like to get it setup properly so I can get access on my phone as well as externally (via the internet on a VPN setup of sorts).

SUPER appreciated any help I can get here :)

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Your computer and the NVR need to have the same gateway. I have to learn a bit more on the IP NVR's but I think they have TWO gateways. One is for your network, the other is for its built in POE switch that the cameras connect to. The one for your network must be the same gateway as other devices on your network. I have the same basic NVR ordered (Lorex branded) but it has not come in yet so I'm at a loss on helping with the setup just yet....

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The gateway address (.150) is unusual. Nothing wrong if that's really the IP of the gateway on your router, just unusual. If your PC can get to the Internet, whatever gateway it's set for is the gateway you should enter for the NVR.

And on both the PC and NVR, you have the subnet masks set for 255.255.255.0?

Do you have the cameras plugged into the PoE ports on the back of the NVR? If so, the IP addresses that the NVR assigns to them should NOT normally start with 192.168.86.x

To add on to what @MixManSC was saying, the NVR would normally create a separate subnet for the cameras and automatically assign the cameras IP addresses from that range. I'm not sure if the NVR automatically picks the IP address for that subnet, or if it asks you for it...

Def. get it all setup and working from within your house before you even think about trying to access it from the internet via VPN! :)

Last edited:

MrGoodCat

n3wb
Reaction score
First of all, thanks for the replies guys! Appreciate it.

The gateway address (.150) is unusual. Nothing wrong if that's really the IP of the gateway on your router, just unusual. If your PC can get to the Internet, whatever gateway it's set for is the gateway you should enter for the NVR.

And on both the PC and NVR, you have the subnet masks set for 255.255.255.0?

Do you have the cameras plugged into the PoE ports on the back of the NVR? If so, the IP addresses that the NVR assigns to them should NOT normally start with 192.168.86.x

To add on to what @MixManSC was saying, the NVR would normally create a separate subnet for the cameras and automatically assign the cameras IP addresses from that range. I'm not sure if the NVR automatically picks the IP address for that subnet, or if it asks you for it...

Def. get it all setup and working from within your house before you even think about trying to access it from the internet via VPN! :)
Ah I see, I thought the gateway shouldn't overlap with the router's, I've changed it back to 192.168.86.1 now. Didn't seem to change anything though unfortunately.

Yes both the router and the NVR now have Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Yes all the 8 cameras are plugged into the PoE ports on the back of the NVR. They still get IP's 192.168.86.1 to .8

Yep I realize I need to make the home network access work before playing with the VPN setup, haha. I'm a bit at a loss here, thought I was "relatively" good with tech but... :)

Below is a screenshot from my pc ipconfig:
upload_2018-5-21_11-15-52.png

Here we have the settings added in the NVR:
upload_2018-5-21_11-16-31.png

Below is the TCP/IP tab, which I'm slightly confused about, but I guess this is the IP the NVR itself uses? (can't seem to be edited anyway?):
upload_2018-5-21_11-17-42.png

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On the Switch tab, try setting the IP address and the default gateway to 192.168.50.1

On the TCP/IP tab, click the pencil icon to edit the IP address and set the IP address to 192.168.86.80 and the default gateway to 192.168.86.1

MrGoodCat

n3wb
Reaction score
On the Switch tab, try setting the IP address and the default gateway to 192.168.50.1

On the TCP/IP tab, click the pencil icon to edit the IP address and set the IP address to 192.168.86.80 and the default gateway to 192.168.86.1
Yea I was thinking maybe I was mixing them up, but I'm not able to edit the stuff under TCP/IP for some reason.. I can click on the pencil icon, and I get the below view (but nothing can be edited there, for some reason):

upload_2018-5-21_11-39-17.png

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yea I was thinking maybe I was mixing them up, but I'm not able to edit the stuff under TCP/IP for some reason.. I can click on the pencil icon, and I get the below view (but nothing can be edited there, for some reason):

View attachment 29650
That’s odd, those fields look like they’d be editable. If your router does DHCP, as a temp solution, you can try clicking the box to enable DHCP.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yea I tried clicking on all the fields, nothing is editable. I can't enable the DHCP field either, it's grayed out :-/.
Did you try clicking on the word "Edit" at the top? It's been a while since I used a Dahua NVR.
Are you authenticated / does the current user have authority to edit network settings?

You could always put a computer on a static IP of 192.168.1.10 plug it into the NVR and fire up the web interface at the default IP of 192.168.1.108
You could also change the IP using the Dahua Config Tool (enable the search other network segments option).

You may feel like some youtube networking tutorials are beneath you, but the videos I linked above are pretty good and I'm confident you'd learn something.

MrGoodCat

n3wb
Reaction score
Ahhh I just got it working. So the issue was that for some reason "PPPoE" was set as "enabled", which caused the TCP/IP to not be editable.

As soon as I turned off "PPPoE" I was able to edit the TCP/IP to 192.168.86.80, and I also set the "SWITCH" to 10.1.1.1 and now I'm able to access it via my pc on Smart PSS.

Thanks artistobrat, tangent & MixManSC for your help, I really do appreciate it!

Perhaps this thread can be helpful for someone in the future if they've got stuck with "PPPoE" enabled for some reason ;-).