Need help with setup options for a new NVR and Camera Combo

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I just joined the forum today, but based on the information I received today, it was enough to make me reconsider the option of using a better combination of POE cameras and NVR. I have a Swann system on the way, buts it locked into Swann's ecosystem, doesn't give me the freedom I want with its interface, and lacks features that are much needed in any surveillance system. I do want 3-4 cameras being 2-4 megapixel fixed-lens-- and a 5th cam to specifically be the HDW5231R-Z. (all ONVIF compatible)

Here in the US, its difficult for an end-consumer to purchase a genuine Hikvision / Dahua NVR. I don't intend to use Blue Iris soon, but will keep that option in mind down as time progresses. I'm aware the the Swann NVR8-7200 is a Hikvision-rebrand. I wouldn't mind a combination of Hikvision and Dahua cameras to be on my surveillance network. However, which NVR should I be looking for into for this setup? I was also thinking about getting the Hikvision NHD820 (Hikvision-rebrand). Any other camera models would also be appreciated. I also want the versatility of remotely connecting to each camera, modifying settings from any device (includes PC), the option to access events without spending the entire day searching, and built-in alerts.

Thanks

Last edited:

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Be aware when you mix and match cameras and NVR manufactures you'll be limited to the ONVIF video stream only and lose your advanced features (motion detection, line crossing, etc).

So if you get an HIK NVR and connect Dahua camera you won't be able to setup motion detection on it in the NVR and vice versa. If you are set on NVR, you'll want to get match hardware to utilize all features.

You can get Dahua hardware fairly quickly from @EMPIRETECANDY on this site as he runs an AE store front and everyone who has done business with him to date on the forum has had nothing but positive experiences (and thats a LOT of people).

If you want to go the HIK route, check around for a user named @milkisbad and he can assist in helping you secure private label HIK hardware with 3 year warranty and you'll have it within 2 days.

Good Luck Sir!

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you zero-degrees, do both sellers accept PayPal?

I definitely need both motion detection and line crossing, no doubt about that, haha

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe @EMPIRETECANDY does and @Milk will accept credit card payments directly as he works for a private label reseller of HIK hardware who sells directly to intigrators/professional install companies, however allows users of this forum to purchase as well.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
zero-degrees, what about flashing Hikvision firmware on a Swann NVR8-7200?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
zero-degrees, what about flashing Hikvision firmware on a Swann NVR8-7200?
No experience doing it - I believe I've seen some threads here though possibly discussing it but can't say for 100% certainty

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Arjun,

Welcome to the forum. Plz search the forum for similar questions asked by folks stating out on the learning curve.

Depending on the Swann's system components, you might want to reconsider. eg:
- If the system touts "wide angle view" and the cameras have 2.8 mm lens, then think long and hard. Wide "Field Of View" sounds great, marketing-wise.
--- Then you learn you can see what happened, but the details of who did it are far less detailed.
--- For "wide angle", you can't identify a face well unless their 10 ft or closer to the cam.

- Don't mix-n-match. Pick a vendor. My suggestion: Hik or Dahua. This also affects your remote viewing options for andriod, iOS, web browser, etc.
- Start slow. Pick vendor, pick NVR, pick a cam or two. Mount cam temporarily. Check, adjust, learn.
- Buy more cams later. You WILL learn, and cam choices/locations will evolve as you get more experienced.
- You can learn tons by searching this forum for ppl who asked the same questions. At this early stage, your questions are not unique. And you'll learn tons more, and more quickly, by finding advice offered to other newbies.

Again - Welcome! Spend some time getting up the learning curve by finding the Q&A of other greenhorns. Later, your very specific questions will engage the awesome pros here. In contrast to the frequent "I'm brand new, looking for guidance, etc"

I don't mean to dis you. Many others have joined this forum as "newbies". I joined a year ago, wet behind the ears. Learned a lot. Esp on how to ask for guidance, and when to research topics previously asked and answered. Just my 2 cents....

Check this thread: Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs