Need of Help picking a system: TVI or IP

tupanafull

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I Have to install 20 cameras in a Community college. In a Pearson lab. Students come in and they test, some of them are cheating so an old friend has refereed me to give the school an estimate. Here is the Scenario

Scenario :

1. Student comes in to the lab.
2. He/she sits down for about 1hr:30min to take tests.
3. A camera needs to be facing down to watch him as he/she takes a test.
4. Lab wants to have the cameras to be recorded for just 1 week.
5. 20 Dome cameras above them 8 feet on a drop ceiling.
6. Distance from rooms are 100 feet.

I was thinking: TVI

A. HIKVISION 2.4MP DVR with 4TB or 12TB
B. 20 HIkvision Vandal Proof Cameras 2.4MP to 5MP ( MAYBE )
C. POwer supply Box 18AMPS
D. (40 X RG59) Klein Connectors( 20 for the cameras 20 for the DVR)/ RG59 siamese cable.

HD-SDI DVR 12TB , SDI cameras 4MP or IP Cameras.

Please help.

Thanks,

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm familiar with Dahua's CVI and am quite happy with it for 4 years now. I believe HIK's TVI is very similar. They are reliable and quite trouble/maintenance free.

That said, most here will recommend IP cams and BI as a VMS of which there are some advantages.

tupanafull

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you. I was told Government passed a bill to have the U.S government not buy from 4 companies in china.. HD-SDI and CVI are said to be more expensive to make, there fore there might not be a replacements for them in the future. THat article must of been wrong, because at the end of the article they were promoting IP cameras :) ; BUt i know a company in boston who sells HD-SDI like crazy .. I was told that TVI is pretty good. I appreciate the input...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you. I was told Government passed a bill to have the U.S government not buy from 4 companies in china.. HD-SDI and CVI are said to be more expensive to make, there fore there might not be a replacements for them in the future. THat article must of been wrong, because at the end of the article they were promoting IP cameras :) ; BUt i know a company in boston who sells HD-SDI like crazy .. I was told that TVI is pretty good. I appreciate the input...
Where are you getting this nonsense information from. CVI is cheaper to make...SDI is not common...what does the ban have to do with this issue?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So a lot of misconceptions

- US gov has placed some restrictions for gov agencies with regards to Chinese company’s such as HIK/Dahua. Not affected civilian sales so far

- CVI (created by Dahua) TVI (originally an HIK technology) and SDI are all variants of HD analog transmission. Buy and large they need to be matched with equipment of the same manufacturer. There is little or no difference in overall quality between CVI and TVI cameras in the same general price range. I may be mistaken but I believe Dahua (CVI) has a much broader selection than HIK (TVI) when it comes to HD analog equipment.

- CVI and SDI are no more or less expensive to make or purchase than TVI. The guy selling you will naturally steer you to the brand he wants you to buy from him. That article may be a bit misleading

IP cameras are preferred over HD analog by most for some very good reasons dealing with networking and some more advanced features.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
HD-SDI is an older HD analog format and isn’t very common anymore

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
We have installed several TVI systems and I have to say, the image was pretty good when they were installed. CVI and TVI are a cheap and easy solution to a camera system. They are dumb cameras and as long as you using matching recorders, they just work. If this is the only purpose, to record people in a class room for four hours a day, It's a good alternative to IP cameras. We have even installed quite a few 4MP CVI systems that work great with no lag.