Need pan/tilt WiFi IP cam recommendations approx $75

MV10

n3wb
Reaction score
We have a system with sixteen Foscam 8910s (yeah, I know) and a handful were recently taken out by a lightning strike. Quite a lot of other equipment was damaged, and the total cost was high enough to warrant an insurance claim. The insurer will cover replacement with similarly valued devices, so I might as well get away from this relatively awful model.

Any suggestions in the $75 range?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
oh god please stay away from this no name shit...its complete garbage...
if OP insists in these cheap foscam like cameras amcrest has a few PT cameras that are made by dahua..
Likely OP's application does not need PT at all..

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Personally I like the no name shit. I have three cameras with the same user interface and find it better to achieve setting between day and night than the Hikvision/Dahua camera I bought. Never bricked one upgrading the firmware. No problem with recording to my cheap Nellys NVR. FTP snapshot go into a fold with the date, unlike Dahua horrific folder hierarchy. Gmail still work on them. But I'm sure in the end, the best camera for everyone is Dahua or Hikvision.

MV10

n3wb
Reaction score
1. They're replacements for an existing install, and most were using WiFi. It's in the middle of nowhere (no interference with other routers), all but a few key motion-trigger cameras run at very low FPS, and they're the only thing using 2GHz anywhere around, so no, WiFi isn't really an issue.

2. We do occasionally remote into these and use pan/tilt. Do I "need" it? Maybe not. Do I want it? Yes. Which is why I bought these junker Foscams (and suffered through the firmware updates until the codec lockup problem was fixed).

3. Had I splurged on really nice cameras (which aren't needed for this application), I'd be especially annoyed right now. As it stands I have six cheap fried cameras instead of six expensive fried cameras.

Forgot to mention...must also be Blue-Iris compatible.

amcrest has a few PT cameras that are made by dahua
I thought I read somewhere that Foscam and Amcrest are one in the same? (Used to hang out on cam-it.org from time to time; I guess that's gone? I think I saw it there...)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
1. They're replacements for an existing install, and most were using WiFi. It's in the middle of nowhere (no interference with other routers), all but a few key motion-trigger cameras run at very low FPS, and they're the only thing using 2GHz anywhere around, so no, WiFi isn't really an issue.

2. We do occasionally remote into these and use pan/tilt. Do I "need" it? Maybe not. Do I want it? Yes. Which is why I bought these junker Foscams (and suffered through the firmware updates until the codec lockup problem was fixed).

3. Had I splurged on really nice cameras (which aren't needed for this application), I'd be especially annoyed right now. As it stands I have six cheap fried cameras instead of six expensive fried cameras.

Forgot to mention...must also be Blue-Iris compatible.

I thought I read somewhere that Foscam and Amcrest are one in the same? (Used to hang out on cam-it.org from time to time; I guess that's gone? I think I saw it there...)
Foscam digital technologies, which was a foscam usa distributor, simply closed up shop and repopened as amcrest now rebranding dahua...
You are MUCH better off buying quality cameras...wifi is unreliable despite what you think, at least put an sd card in there because you will miss important footage.
Forget about pt..just buy a good high res fixed camera and run proper cable...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I like the no name shit. I have three cameras with the same user interface and find it better to achieve setting between day and night than the Hikvision/Dahua camera I bought. Never bricked one upgrading the firmware. No problem with recording to my cheap Nellys NVR. FTP snapshot go into a fold with the date, unlike Dahua horrific folder hierarchy. Gmail still work on them. But I'm sure in the end, the best camera for everyone is Dahua or Hikvision.
Actually, dahua has the lead now...this no name crap as been plaguing foolish users for years. Waste of time and money...most of the cameras stability and performance is dependent on good firmware...this no name shit is just that!