Need recomendations on good NVR

kris77

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, after reading and reading, i think I settled on the Dahua 5231R cameras. Looking to get 5-6 of them. But i'm having a hard time picking a NVR to accompany them.

I'm pretty lost when it comes to the different kinds and features. I really want to be able to view remotly from my phone, i would love to have motion/email capabilities like if motion is detected, it notifies me in an email with a screenshot of the motion, I already have a couple 3TB hard drives I can use so I wont need a HD. 8 ch would be plenty I think. Any suggestions?

I'm guessing the Dahua cameras are still the pick of the site for most? Coverage would be for front door, back door, pool, building, and the main one would be from under the eve of the house looking down the driveway. Need good night vision there. End of driveway is prob 50-75 away.

I was actually looking at getting this setup from Lorax....

8 Channel 2K Resolution IP Security Camera System with 8 Domes and 125ft Color Night Vision

But I think the Dahua setup and NVR would be a better quality system. Thoughts?

And thanks. This site is pretty amazing.

Kris

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Kris,

At that price point, and considering we really do not know which Dahua OEM cameras come close to those models - I think you'd be better off getting a kit from Andy.

Sometimes Lorex ( which recently got bought by Dahua btw ) does have some good sales ( they had some during the BF/cyberweek period ).
Note however that Lorex currently strips out the IVS functionality - thus even if we can determine what the cameras come closest to Dahua OEM cameras they've got a few less options that more advanced users like in the firmware.

That 8 port NVR NR9082 w/8x 4MP "dome" ( really eyeball / turret ) cameras
$1,099.99 - 15% -> about $950

As they are 4MP cameras - they will not perform as well as the 2MP starlight models in low light conditions.

I think the NVR is closest to the NVR5208-8P-4KS2 model

If you need LOW light - then definitely go with the Dahua OEM Starlight cameras

I would recommend a NVR5216-16P-4KS2 NVR if you're looking for a NVR ( also look at the Windows i5/i7 PC w/Blue Iris w/separate PoE switch option )
and the HDW5231 turrets - if on a budget perhaps the HDW4231 turrets.

( Andy can probably get you a nice kit which is better for just a little bit more w/ 8x HDW4231 and a NVR5216-16P-4K2S )

Last edited: