Need some help with a poe injector

HackitZ

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have been running ip cameras for about 5 years. I Have 6 cameras all different makes and models. I have decided to upgrade to poe and hikvision dome cameras.
I ordered one hikvision 3MP 2.8mm lens and a poe injector.
I spent the whole weekend and could never get the camera to show in sadp. I used an old Asus router I had and the poe switch. No other connected devices. Tried wireshark to see if an odd ip showed up. Nothing. I also charged the ip of the router and managed switch to all ip's I found hikvision might use. I contacted the seller and he said to use power. I don't have an extra power cord for the camera.
So my last unknown is the poe injector I bought. Can someone check and advise if the poe I bought might be the issue?
Here it is
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Loggers-Midspan-Injector-Auto-Reboot/dp/B00FO4K944

Thanks
Sorry for any typos, I used my phone to post.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

HackitZ

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Tnx for the reply , I already bought the injector. I paid a hundred. It's still on Amazon for a hundred. The link was just for reference.
Great link I should have come here and asked first, before I bought anything.
Do you think the injector I bought could be my issue?

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tnx for the reply , I already bought the injector. I paid a hundred. It's still on Amazon for a hundred. The link was just for reference.
Great link I should have come here and asked first, before I bought anything.
Do you think the injector I bought could be my issue?
When you used the sad was the computer you have hooked on the same IP address IE i know hikvision cameras are like 192.168.2.1 or some crazy thing like that thus you would be able to see it then

You basically need to change you computer IP to what ever the factory setting was and then SADP should see it and you can change the IP to a normal ip on your network which i see you did

I would find a 12v plug from another device that you can plug it into and see but its looking like it maybe the injector Pretty sure you can use the plug that powers the injector to power the camera to test its all 12v's its just a matter if the male and female will fit.

HackitZ

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried, all the address I found on the net that hikvision has used.
192.0.0.64. 192.168.0.64. And a few others.
The guide in the box said it's set to, 192.168.1.64. Tried that as well.
The way i understand the injector I bought is that it puts 24 volts to each port. 8 in total. Are injectors not the best choice for poe cams?
Still not fully sure of the difference between a poe switch and a poe injector.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried, all the address I found on the net that hikvision has used.
192.0.0.64. 192.168.0.64. And a few others.
The guide in the box said it's set to, 192.168.1.64. Tried that as well.
The way i understand the injector I bought is that it puts 24 volts to each port. 8 in total. Are injectors not the best choice for poe cams?
Still not fully sure of the difference between a poe switch and a poe injector.
POE switch is just that its a switch with POE. i think they just add in the injector part as a sales pitch or to confuse customers.
I had used these at first one my hikvision cameras with out issues but i replaced them with a switch instead less wiring etc etc

Basically the POE switch is a glorified power distribution box with the extra ability of taking load of network traffic

this are what i had used. It still needs to be powered at the little box vs a POE switch where power is only needed at the switch
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Gigabit-Injector-Adapter-TL-PoE150S/dp/B001PS9E5I/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1460345449&sr=1-2&keywords=poe+injector

In the end find something to power the camera with out the switch or injector and if it powers then you know it is the switch/injector

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The midspan you linked to is not standard 48v 802.3af/at POE, its 24v Ubiquiti POE.. it wont work with IPCameras, sorry bro.

HackitZ

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The midspan you linked to is not standard 48v 802.3af/at POE, its 24v Ubiquiti POE.. it wont work with IPCameras, sorry bro.
Thanks, i have called them but have not heard back. tnx

HackitZ

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i live in canada and we have less options for poe switches. so i've been searching amazon for poe switches. if my goal is to have at least 5 maybe 6 hikvision 3mp cameras. what would be a good poe switch to use?
Thanks

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i live in canada and we have less options for poe switches. so i've been searching amazon for poe switches. if my goal is to have at least 5 maybe 6 hikvision 3mp cameras. what would be a good poe switch to use?
Thanks
Its right in post two of the thread

HackitZ

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok i ordered the poe switch above, it's installed and 3 of my hik cameras work great, my two ptz cameras are not working.
I can't load the login page but can see them in sadp. If i try and change a setting (like ip) i get an error.
I can ping the cameras with no packet loss.
also they keep appearing and disappearing in sadp.
Is a factory reset my only option to fix them?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok i ordered the poe switch above, it's installed and 3 of my hik cameras work great, my two ptz cameras are not working.
I can't load the login page but can see them in sadp. If i try and change a setting (like ip) i get an error.
I can ping the cameras with no packet loss.
also they keep appearing and disappearing in sadp.
Is a factory reset my only option to fix them?
did those same cameras work on using the poe injector? What kind of cable are you using? Did you terminate the cable using 568 standards?

HackitZ

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
did those same cameras work on using the poe injector? What kind of cable are you using? Did you terminate the cable using 568 standards?
I did not use the poe injector, i was using trendnet tpe-tg80g, i have 3 static cameras and 2 ptz.
All the cameras worked for a while but it took a while to load the image on all cameras (5) , the ptz functions took for ever to respond.
I'm using store bought cables, the run is about 70 feet to the poe switch. Cables are cat5e.