Need suggestion/help for outdoor cameras for my home

wolfespawn

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi!

I have been looking to install cameras at my home and I have no idea what to look for. I have almost pulled the trigger on some but something in the description always stops me (i.e. water reistant, not proof- but they are outdoor!!).
I had my home pre-wired when it was built with I believe 8 camera locations. I would like to be able to view my cameras remotely from my phone and I would like at least 1 very hi quality camera that can possibly capture license plates at maybe 80-100 feet (not sure it's possible).
How hard is this going to be for me to setup myself?
4 of the cameras will be completely exposed to weather (side of house facing the rising sun in a hot Las Vegas desert).
How big of a DVR storage drive will I need if I would like to keep the recording for up to a week? Are they all motion triggered?

Thank you for reading my questions, I am completely clueless.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome. Start here: Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs

- Evaluate the prewired locations. How high are they, what type of cable was used, did they use a junction box if yes what type...
People tend to want to put their cameras too high, which is especially disappointing if it's a prewire as upper floor soffits are relatively easy to access after the fact.

- The camera's IP (ingress protection) rating is what matters, you can look it up on wikipedia. Any camera that's IP66 or IP67 will be fine. Turret/Eyeball camera are generally the most desirable type. This camera is a good option: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

LPR requires a dedicated camera and depends heavily on the location of the camera.

wolfespawn

n3wb
Reaction score
I just checked. They do have blue junction boxes (plastic), and have CAT5 or CAT6 inside. You were correct, they went really high on the side of the house, like 9 feet.
I just looked at the link you attached, the Dahua. It mentions needed a microSD? I was looking to buy a system that stored on a hard drive as well as viewable from phone. Does that camera operate like that?
I would need 7 cameras. Also, 2 on the back patio, do they sell mounts that extend 2 feet or so to get under the view on my patio cover?
Thanks for your reply!!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many cameras have microsd slots, you don't need to use them. People typically use them as a backup.

9' up isn't too bad if that's accurate. Your front door is one location where you should certainly try to be lower if you can.

Camera's generally aren't made to just mount to a normal rectangular junction box, so that complicates things some. Did they install the boxes horizontal or vertical?

wolfespawn

n3wb
Reaction score
They installed both. The front door junction box is mounted in the ceiling (at 9 ft) as well as the 2 under the back patio. The rest were installed in the exact manner of house outlets. 20180322_151401.jpg

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A picture from the ground with some distance would give a more useful perspective. You'll probably need to modify a weatherproof junction box cover to mount cameras.

wolfespawn

n3wb
Reaction score
20180322_161114.jpg 20180322_161048.jpg
The silver plates above the light and to the top roof above door. They have the cat5 inside them. Is there a specific junction box I can order that would fit most cameras universally?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That'll make quite the bald spot camera at the front door.

Camera junction boxes are not universal. Most anything will probably require some modification.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Read the cliff notes in post #13 of the thread you were directed to; lots of great info in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro