Need to keep my cameras and dvr from being accessed remote

Undaunted

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I am brand new to this site and not very computer savvy. I’m trying to learn the lingo as I go along, so please try not to use acronyms yet as I don’t know many of them. ☺
Here is my situation. I moved into a home w an existing security camera set up. I don’t know the name of the system because the dvr doesn’t have a brand on it. I have included pics just in case.

I have had a stalker problem for several years so I was happy to have the camera system in place already. However. I recently discovered an unknown device on my eero pro router. I blocked it immediately and changed all my passwords. Upon further inspection of the history it appeared that this device was downloading a bunch of data from my network. Going back months. To make this brief, I’d like to make it so I can only access the cameras and dvr from inside my home. The stalker I mentioned has some hacking ability. If someone could give me the layman’s version of how I can secure my cameras I would be grateful. One of them is inside my home in my main living area and the cameras have sound so it’s extremely disturbing.

Thank you!

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First thing to do is to remove the ethernet cable from the DVR.

You will then only be able to view it from the monitor it is hooked to.

That looks like an older analog BNC DVR, so it is probably connected to the internet with P2P or port forwarding of the router.

If you did not provide the router, I would strongly suggest a factory reset of the router as well.

I would probably factory reset the DVR as well.

Then read the following wiki's to learn about how to prevent being hacked and then deploy one of the solutions:

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are there any new wifi enabled devices that entered your residence recently? By that I mean did you fire up your smart watch, buy a smart TV? What about a cell phone downloading updates etc?

I tend to keep track of every MAC address on my system, and can spot when something odd is up, and the culprit. It's crazy all the sh!t my cell does on it's own every single day, when in reality it hasn't been used in months or years really. It just sits there, but on the network .. grinding away, downloading updates, reaching out to the servers required for the programs running etc. Normally I just put it and my wife's phones in airport mode.

Configure your router to log everything, and see if you can identify who or what is downloading the data from your network, and shut off guest network. Crank up the security level if you can.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Undaunted , it's been a month, how you doing over there?

It's always disturbing to hear someone has a stalker...