Need to power POE Cam and Illuminator off one POE run, possible?

wonwon

n3wb
Reaction score
Need to power POE Cam and Illuminator off one POE run, possible?

I was kind of dumb and when I engineered this project, I didn't make sure the cameras have IR on them. I would just return the equipment and get cameras with IR on them, but a lot of other hardware specific to the cameras was used and due to factors outside my control, the project ended up taking a long time, so I'm well outside the return period for the equipment I have purchased, so I'm kind of stuck with it and need some help to just make it work. The cameras I used are Hikvision DS-2DE3304W-DE 3MP with PTZ, but no IR, and idiotically, I didn't even notice the lack of IR until I had already done a complex install. Not doing it again. Doh!

I considered just using a POE splitter with a 12v splitter, running 12v to an IR illuminator and then 12v to the camera with a patch cable coming back from the camera to the splitter for data, but I wondered, for the sake of simplicity, cleanliness and risk reduction, if there is a splitter out there that can send power both to the 12v adapter AND the ethernet port, eliminating all the failure points of adapters. All my searches came up with adapters that only do power to the 12v and only ethernet to the RJ-45.

Current setup goes like this:

Cam1: internet comes in over UBNT link from ISP. Router out to dumb switch, out to POE injectors; one TP-Link for camera, one UBNT POE for another UBNT PTP link for Cam2, one for WIFI, and then a wifi controlled power outlet for cycling cam.

Cam2: About 500 feet away from Cam1, Internet in over UBNT PTP on tower > to dumb switch inside building > to TP-Link poe injector > back up tower to Hik cam, same as cam1. Also wifi to outlet for cycling power.

Hopefully that makes sense and you can help me out! Thanks in advance :)

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm afraid you're stuck. All the splitters I've found do not pass the power to the camera on the rj45 port. The end result is an unfortunate mess of cables and connectors.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Good find! I see they also have a 15 watt model POE-MSPLT-4812P that goes for about $45, and can be had with a female connector that the camera can plug into without any adapters. This (or the 25 watt model) is an ideal solution is cost is no object.