Need to Reduce Recorded File Size Using FPS

Rocinante

n3wb
Reaction score
My files are about 108 gigs per camera per day running at 20 FPS.
The cameras are constantly on with trigger alerts.
I want to reduce the FPS to 15 to reduce the file sizes.
Do I reduce it in the Camera Properties - Video, or is it better to go directly to the camera's configuration page and lower it?

Mr-Gizmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You need to control the frame rate (fps) directly from the camera's user interface and not from Blue Iris. Blue Iris accepts the camera's video stream at the rate it is supplied. It would be more helpful if you supplied more information on your camera's make and model.

Last edited:

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I usually set my cams to 10fps that is enought for 90% of my needs but... you have to take care of one thing, if you are using RTSP H.264 cameras take care about the mix between fps and bandwith settings, for example if you set 4Mbps bandwith and lower from 20fps tp 10fps then you may still have same amount of recorded data because the camera will continue to provide 4Mbps max bandwidth (but video will have less compression so better quality).

Rocinante

n3wb
Reaction score
You need to control the frame rate (fps) directly from the camera's user interface and not from Blue Iris. Blue Iris accepts the camera's video stream at the rate it is supplied. It would be more helpful if you supplied more information on your camera's make and model.
I have five Amcrest IP4M-1025E (rebranded Dahua DH-IPC-HFW44A1SN) cameras running on my Moca 2 network.
CPU power is not a problem, as BI is installed on a I7-7700 computer.

They are all running at 20 FPS and 10240 Kb/S. What can I lower them to and still maintain good quality?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have five Amcrest IP4M-1025E (rebranded Dahua DH-IPC-HFW44A1SN) cameras running on my Moca 2 network.
CPU power is not a problem, as BI is installed on a I7-7700 computer.

They are all running at 20 FPS and 10240 Kb/S. What can I lower them to and still maintain good quality?
Storage space is determined by bitrate only..not fps...lower your bitrate to 4096...