Need to wait 45-50 seconds to view what just happened using alerts

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
A while ago I moved from recording 24/7 AND Motion clips, to just recording 24/7 in 15 min clips, and having alerts for motion

It works well, but the issue now is that when I'm in the alert view, I need to wait 45+ seconds to be able to view what just happened, its like the video is in some kind of buffer and has not yet been written, or something

There is less of a delay if I view the actual clip and not the alert, but ideally I'd like to be able to see something, and instantly go back and view it

Any ideas? Hopefully I am wording this correctly

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Just a casual observation, but unless you absolutely, positively, must have 15 minute clips change that to one hour clips. That will cut the number of clips that database has to sort through when playing back by 75% which will be a lot faster. You can easily review clips at high speed just ne dragging the play button along the timeline.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I moved it down to 15 min as scrubbing through 1 hour clips on mobile is HORRIBLE

Hopefully they add the feature to limit scrubbing only within the alert, and not the whole clip its on

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I assume you are, but are you saving direct-to-disc, BVR format? I can watch mine literally seconds after it is recording.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Use UI for mobile scrubbing. Much easier than the BI app. Actually, scrubbing on a mobile device is just a big PITA anyway. Laptop or console is the only way to do it. You'd be far better off tuning alerts and using that instead of scrubbing through hours of video from multiple cameras looking for things.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
It looks like my LPR Cameras I can watch instantly, of course I'm not using alerts on them

I just turned off the pre-trigger, nothing changed

Here is a video of the issue. Sometimes it takes much longer to get the part of the video I want, sometimes up to a minute. Here you can see where I'm scrolling through where the video SHOULD be, I'm getting old video! Its giving me video from the start of the file, and not actual current time, watch the time in the top right jump after I hit the point where it hasn't "filled in". Really odd and annoying

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How many files are in the video folder. A large number of files (+9000) will cause a major drop in performance.
The search and adding files will eat CPU and disk performance. Look at using a sub folder per camera (see &CAM in bi help)

Advanced storage:

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
The folder in this example currently has 5700, but the issue was present even when I added a new drive and it was recording to something with 0 files

Performance in general is great, its just this weird "Buffer" issue