Need wider angle for soffit camera

toddk

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi-
I currently have a FLIR N133ED, which I understand is a 3.6mm focal length (90 degree diagonal, 72 degree horizontal). I talk with the guys at B&H and they recommended a similar camera (FLIR PE133 E) with 120 degree diagonal and 75 degree horizontal). I am wondering if that will be enough to cover the whole area (see the image with the whole area and the white box is what my current camera is viewing).

I currently have all FLIR cameras, so I am a little partial to keeping the same brand so I know it works (I am not an expert nor enthusiast), but as long as it is POE and will work with my FLIR DNR500 series NVR, I would look at anything.

Thanks in advance.
Toddsoffit camera.JPG fullview.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi-
I currently have a FLIR N133ED, which I understand is a 3.6mm focal length (90 degree diagonal, 72 degree horizontal). I talk with the guys at B&H and they recommended a similar camera (FLIR PE133 E) with 120 degree diagonal and 75 degree horizontal). I am wondering if that will be enough to cover the whole area (see the image with the whole area and the white box is what my current camera is viewing).

I currently have all FLIR cameras, so I am a little partial to keeping the same brand so I know it works (I am not an expert nor enthusiast), but as long as it is POE and will work with my FLIR DNR500 series NVR, I would look at anything.

Thanks in advance.
ToddView attachment 22838 View attachment 22842
Welcome Todd,

Wider FOV = less pixels on target = less of a chance to ID a suspect.

Recommend getting more cameras for better coverage. Please do take some time to read the following notes, we have lots of great people here sharing their knowledge and experience.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

toddk

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank for the quick replies. I was hoping for a straight answer. Clearly, as in everything else, there are many things that I never even considered about this decision. I appreciate the reality check. I will have to spend some time in thoughtful consideration of these issues. Apparently, bigger is not always better.:)

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
i'd suggest keeping that (wide angle) cam pretty much where it is covering the front yard and approach up the path.

add another cam right next it with NARROWER field of view, possibly turned sideways in corridor mode,
to cover the front door and windows. see the red outline in my image: fullview

if you can't run another ethernet to that location easily, then use a pair of ethernet splitter/combiners to run 2 PoE cams
on the same wire back to the NVR, where it splits into two ports again. Gigaware (Radio Shack) CAT5E/Ethernet Splitter/Combiner 2790033 | eBay
(example only, not my auction...)

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
i'd suggest keeping that (wide angle) cam pretty much where it is covering the front yard and approach up the path.

add another cam right next it with NARROWER field of view, possibly turned sideways in corridor mode,
to cover the front door and windows. see the red outline in my image: fullview

if you can't run another ethernet to that location easily, then use a pair of ethernet splitter/combiners to run 2 PoE cams
on the same wire back to the NVR, where it splits into two ports again. Gigaware (Radio Shack) CAT5E/Ethernet Splitter/Combiner 2790033 | eBay
(example only, not my auction...)

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

toddk

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's thoughts, I didn't want to spend a weekend in the attic, but I did it anyway. I added the second camera (I actually had the same problem in 2 areas, so I added 2 more cameras). IMG_3027.PNG IMG_3028.PNG