NEEDED help with Hikvision NVR not recording accordingly

Jon Sam

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Users

I am a new guy just bought a Hikvision NVR DS-7604NI-K1/4P and DS2CD2155FWDIS28 DOME CAMERA a week ago .

First the technician have set the NVR on MOTION DETECTION for recording and I noticed on my pre recorded videos files are not recorded on MOTION as it should ,because the next day after installation and I checked the prerecorded file didn't record my family entering into the car and driving off to school, the next file was my car already parked up without seeing anyone exiting the car and entering the house.

Therefor I gathered something is wrong so I asked the technician to set it on continuously recording next day and he did.

same problem no solid bar at the bottom of the page to indicate a recorded video file. shattered files on the Bar. Contacted the technician again to check and he did that. but nothing work. same problem.

Live view is perfect.

yesterday 1 typical hour showed on the recording bar just broken files 8 broken files each file contain about 5 seconds of recorded video (photo attached) instead of a continuously recording.

contacted the technician yesterday now he is busy don't have time for me and he told me to contact the Hikvision technical hot line which I did and they told me would not speak to me because I am not a Hikvision member.

Now I am stuck with hundreds of pounds of not fully working products.

Is there anyone can help me please ? I wanted to know why is my camera won't record according to the setting. The basic setting is done as far I know of.

Is that a setting problem?
Is there a faulty device?

IMG_9519.jpg

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
each file contain about 5 seconds of recorded video (photo attached) instead of a continuously recording.
Do those video segments show motion a few seconds after they start?
Check the NVR logs to see what it says around the times that the blue bars are present.
When playing back, or paused in single camera view, click the 'swizzler' (second bottom left) and in the dropdown, select motion and see what you get on the playback line.

From your screenshot of storage settings, it should be doing continuous recording.
There may be a bad cabling problem, if so, the NVR logs will complain of disconnections.

Jon Sam

n3wb
Reaction score
Check the NVR logs to see what it says around the times that the blue bars are present.
When playing back, or paused in single camera view, click the 'swizzler' (second bottom left) and in the dropdown, select motion and see what you get on the playback line.

From your screenshot of storage settings, it should be doing continuous recording.
There may be a bad cabling problem, if so, the NVR logs will complain of disconnections.
Thank you for your replied..

It is set in continuous recording. Therefor should not be a broken line.

How would I know is the hard ware problem?

I just walked out to check the camera at 2:14pm. did not capture anything. also each file only played about 3-4 seconds and jumped into next file and do the same.

First day on installation it worked video files played about 10 minutes..

checked this morning on the videos files there are so small is in KB. I think definitely nothing to do with the software.

PLEASE tell me how to determined is the cable ? or maybe a faulty NVR

Screenshot 2018-06-16 13.01.36.png

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
or maybe a faulty NVR
To be honest, that's not likely.
It will be faulty configuration and installation.
Your installer has botched the job, he needs to fix it or refund your costs.
I think definitely nothing to do with the software.
Not the firmware - maybe the cables, or configuration.

What showed in the NVR log files? Any disconnections? There should be zero.

Jon Sam

n3wb
Reaction score
To be honest, that's not likely.
It will be faulty configuration and installation.
Your installer has botched the job, he needs to fix it or refund your costs.

Not the firmware - maybe the cables, or configuration.

What showed in the NVR log files? Any disconnections? There should be zero.

Let me start to check the log files first.

Where could I find the NVR log files?

Sorry this is my first NVR and I am not a computer guy . Can you plz tell me step by step how to view the log files?

you mean from the screen shots below ?

Screenshot 2018-06-17 00.29.54.png Screenshot 2018-06-17 00.30.08.png Screenshot 2018-06-17 00.30.21.png

Jon Sam

n3wb
Reaction score

Just been reading back your comments.

Just did what you said with the swizzler thing. First time the browser crashed then did it again a few times. Nothing happened.

I did have lots of emails alerts stating "video signal lost" is that the same thing?

can you tell me step by step how to obtain the NVR logs which you mentioned above plz?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm away just now, so can't give you much detail.
On the logfiles, I wouldn't bother refining the selection, just do the top level and plough through the results.
You're looking for anything that indicates the cameras are struggling to communicate, such as video lost, connection lost etc

Jon Sam

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm away just now, so can't give you much detail.
On the logfiles, I wouldn't bother refining the selection, just do the top level and plough through the results.
You're looking for anything that indicates the cameras are struggling to communicate, such as video lost, connection lost etc

ok thanks for that..enjoy your holiday.

Jon Sam

n3wb
Reaction score
ok thanks for that..enjoy your holiday.
I have just check my system and found it NOT functioning properly ..All recording gone from day one, HDD error so annoying and upset.

I have no idea what happened.

Paid hundreds of pounds for nothing but hassle and disappointments.

anyway if you have time to see my photos , Then please check the logs files that I have done and Maybe you can kindly tell me what there meant, becuase i don't know what there mean.

. thanks

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Those "IP camera disconnect" errors are not normal. The HDD error is a fault, maybe with the HDD.
Time to require whoever supplied and installed the system to refund all your money.
The cabling needs to be checked - it may be the cause of the problems with the cameras.
Maybe ask the installer to put in another NVR to see if the cameras and cabling work ok with it. If not, that would suggest the cabling is faulty.

Jon Sam

n3wb
Reaction score
Those "IP camera disconnect" errors are not normal. The HDD error is a fault, maybe with the HDD.
Time to require whoever supplied and installed the system to refund all your money.
The cabling needs to be checked - it may be the cause of the problems with the cameras.
Maybe ask the installer to put in another NVR to see if the cameras and cabling work ok with it. If not, that would suggest the cabling is faulty.

Thanks again pal.

That is exactly what I told the guy 3 days after the installation then he said he is busy.That is why I am trying to help before getting a different installer out and forking out extra cash.

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
is the installer a known, accredited outfit? If you can't get them to respond/resolve, perhaps go talk to citizens advice for guidance/assistance and see if they can help get a response. You can check the network cables yourself to some extent if you have a tester (cheap to buy if not) and can access both ends.

What does the NVR report for the SMART info for the HDD (HDD detection tab). Were you power cycling the NVR as from the screenshots it looks like the unit was initialising in the screen grabs following an abnormal shutdown - usually loss of power. If not could point to PSU issues which could affect the lot, hdd, cameras etc. If you connect to the cameras are they showing the same power loss/initialisation in their logs?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Those "IP camera disconnect" errors are not normal.
Looking at the acreenshots now with a PC and not the phone - some other observations that I missed:

The 'IP camera disconnected' events in your screenshots are all after reboots, so will be linked to the startup, and maybe not after all errors in their own right.
So take my comments about cabling and disconnections with a pinch of salt for the moment.
The primary faults showing in the logs in the screenshots are random shutdowns and the HDD error.

It might just be that the HDD is faulty and the cause of all the problems.

Suggestion - if you feel comfortable taking the lid off and possibly being accused of voiding warranty (there probably isn't a seal, unless the installer added one) - temporarily connect up a different HDD. It doesn't have to be a large one - just to see if some stability and normality is the result.
All you'd need to do in the web GUI is format the HDD in the Storage menu, and see how it goes.

Jon Sam

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking at the acreenshots now with a PC and not the phone - some other observations that I missed:

The 'IP camera disconnected' events in your screenshots are all after reboots, so will be linked to the startup, and maybe not after all errors in their own right.
So take my comments about cabling and disconnections with a pinch of salt for the moment.
The primary faults showing in the logs in the screenshots are random shutdowns and the HDD error.

Suggestion - if you feel comfortable taking the lid off and possibly being accused of voiding warranty (there probably isn't a seal, unless the installer added one) - temporarily connect up a different HDD. It doesn't have to be a large one - just to see if some stability and normality is the result.
All you'd need to do in the web GUI is format the HDD in the Storage menu, and see how it goes.
I just took your advice and did the test. There are definitely ERRORS but don't understand the chart.

I noticed on the right it say BLOCK CAPACITY 1192.33MB, does that mean my HDD faulty ?

the first 2 results are FULL DETECTION but is it so bad that won't go pass 100 error check.
last 2 results are done in KEY AREA DETECTION still won't go pat 100% check but at least go upto 81%

I have attached the results for you to see. Many thanks

Screenshot 2018-06-18 14.15.26.png Screenshot 2018-06-18 14.15.36.png Screenshot 2018-06-18 14.28.37.png Screenshot 2018-06-18 14.29.36.png

Jon Sam

n3wb
Reaction score

The lid of the NVR just screwed on no seal. (thank you for your consideration).

What type HDD is in the NVR? Are there just any laptop HDD ?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What type HDD is in the NVR? Are there just any laptop HDD ?
It's a 3.5 inch SATA drive - laptops typically have a 2.5 inch SATA drive - but if you have a spare one lying around, that would work OK for testing.

I didn't suggest the test - that was @Aengus4h but the result looks bad, and suggests a faulty HDD.

What would have been more interesting would be the SMART detail, before any testing.
But a screenshot of that now would be further confirmation.

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
agree that looks bad but I too was more thinking to look at the smart info rather than doing a surface scan at this stage. First block flagging as bad isn't a great sign, if very lucky could just be a write that was interrupted on power cycling and corrupted the cluster so might be worth trying to reformat the hdd, the smart info may give more clues tho as in cycle count, re-vectored block counts etc

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
agree that looks bad but I too was more thinking to look at the smart info rather than doing a surface scan at this stage
Yes, that would have indicated what had gone before.
First block flagging as bad isn't a great sign, if very lucky could just be a write that was interrupted on power cycling and corrupted the cluster so might be worth trying to reformat the hdd
The Hikvision NVRs I've seen (though I'm not sure about that specific model) use the HDD raw - not formatted in the way we'd normally understand.
And the first block is important, from what I remember it holds some basic info like the start block number of the file manifest, and the block number of the end of the disc.

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yeah I guessed that from the thread on WD purple oversized not working as that seemed the same, raw access method. I've written similar a long time back when needing to have an ISAM type file system on floppy disks for a commodore PET to store/retrieve lab data. You could use a drive raw but no way to index what was where - unless you knocked up a DIY ISAM method ;-) Same issue tho, lose that block and the whole lot is toast unless you create shadow blocks, no idea if these NVR's and cameras do that tho.

Last edited:

Jon Sam

n3wb
Reaction score
It's a 3.5 inch SATA drive - laptops typically have a 2.5 inch SATA drive - but if you have a spare one lying around, that would work OK for testing.

I didn't suggest the test - that was @Aengus4h but the result looks bad, and suggests a faulty HDD.

What would have been more interesting would be the SMART detail, before any testing.
But a screenshot of that now would be further confirmation.

sorry about that I got mixed up. I got school run and i rushed it.

you mean do a test run in this?

Attachments