Needing Hikvision expert input, please!

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My system is 960h analog but am out here because my luck with this forum has been nothing less than spectacular. You guys are really, really good at what you do and I appreciate all the help I've received in the past.

Some of you folks, who helped me when first came on board, may remember that I came originally seeking a way to record my system to 2 separate devices. For the life of me, I could not figure how to configure any of the 3 NAS devices to augment the HDDs in the DVR.

Well, I finally figured it out. QNAP NAS is now set up as a redundant drive having R/W access. It was an access and rights issue that I had evidently glossed over, or never knew how-when-where-or-why to begin with. So, now that I have the DVR recognizing the NAS as a NAS storage device, I have one question:

AM I correctly assuming that the term ‘redundant HDD’ signifies it will be a mirror image of the HDDs that are in the DVR?

If my assumption is correct, then I have another question, being: When does it start to mirror the other HDDs?

Specifics:
I have 2 – 2TB HDDs in the DVR and the NAS is configured for 4TB of redundant HDD space. Currently, the DVR displays a bit over 5TB as free space. The 2 HDDs & the NAS are in Group 1.

Like I said, you guys are the best when it comes to knowing this stuff. I’m just a 62 year-old who kind of knows a few things but come nowhere near where you techie guys live and play. Then, there’s the sad truth about Hikvision doco– it sucks unless you already know what you are doing.

Thank you for your responses ahead of time!
From a 2nd string. Has a bit more tech info.
I came to this forum back a few months ago, looking for a way to record simultaneously to 2 separate targets. I could not figure out how to make NAS communicate with my DVR because Hikvision doco is sadly lacking and I know absolutely nothing about this game.

Well, I managed to get the DVR and NAS talking, wherein I configured the NAS as a Redundant HDD, hoping that it would mirror the HDDs in the DVR. I hope that was not an incorrect assumption. Please advise if it is.

Now, I’m wondering if, and, how to get the video to write to the ‘redundant’ target. I’ve specified who can access the share, as well as set permissions. Both devices talk, in that remote storage “HDD” was actually ‘initiated’ successfully from Hikvision software console.

Sys config shows 3 active HDDs in HDD Group 1. The DVR manual states that a total of 8 ‘network’ HDDs can be utilized. I am not running a 'Quota' designation.

Firmware v2.2.8 build 130902

Encoding v5.0 build 130729

Do I need to yank the internal HDDs to get the NAS working? I ask because my objective is to have all video in a secure location, in the event that the DVR is stolen during a break-in/burglary. Moving the DVR is out of the question since coax already run - not interested in incurring cost and hassle. Just trying to implement an ounce of prevention before I need the pound of 'cure', with current situation and available resources.

If anyone has any ideas, please advise. I’m not seeing anything recorded to the NAS. Your input is greatly appreciated and sincerely encouraged.

Current Config: Hikvision DVR model: DS-7216HWI-SH w/2-2TB HDDs internal & 1-QNAP 469 Pro NAS w/3.9TB allocated NAS storage [of 8TB on RAID 5] array, using NFS protocol.

Thank you!

From last response:

Originally Posted by acp_xt
Hi your question may not be clear enough and this could be why you have not got any responses yet. When you say redundant are you talking about your Hikvision(?) DVR or the QNAP NAS? You also mention 3 NAS devices. You will have to be clearer about your setup to get more accurate/detailed responses I think.

To answer your specific questions, the term 'redundant HDD' means the HDD in question is duplicating data from another drive (or network data source). In your case it sounds like your DVR doesnt have redundant data storage - your QNAP NAS is the redundant backup of your non-redundant DVR and furthermore your NAS itself is redundant (it is configured in a data mirroring RAID setup). Is this correct?

To your second question, assuming you are talking about the QNAP NAS (I have one using Surveillance Station recording 2 Hikvisions 24/7), your NAS starts mirroring the data to the redundant HDD as soon as it is written to the primary HDD (assuming you have a 2 disk setup in your NAS).

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Found your double post here: consider merging the two?

Thank you for your response. My statement of having 3 NAS units may have been a mistake. IT is true, but I am only trying to manipulate the QNAP NAS, a 469 Pro, to be a redundant drive for the Hikvision DS-7216-HWI-SH DVR. The DVR is maximized at HDD upper limit of 4 GB using Q2-2GB HDDs internally. I am wanting to simultaneously record that which is being recorded by the DVR, to my NAS, which has Q4-3TB WD Red HDD and yield a little over 8GB availability, using RAID 5.

With those specifications, I've attempted to utilize iSCSI/LUN and direct storage within specified directory on the NAS. I've experienced varied levels of accomplishment, but never complete success.
My question is, can the NAS be configured as the redundant HDD [storage server] of the DVR when the existing Q2 HDDs within the DVR are not in any RAID configuration. This surveillance system was installed in either 2012 or 2013, to give you an idea of the technology at the time. I currently have Q9-Sony cameras in operation that are 960H. The DVR signal out supports 1080P HDMI and is a 16 channel DVR.
Current Config: Hikvision DVR model: DS-7216HWI-SH w/2-2TB HDDs internal & 1-QNAP 469 Pro NAS. I've since eliminated the configuration that was ineffective. There exists no 'resevered' space via Hikvision DVR requirements, nor do I have any iSCSI targets or sources configured.

A sidenote: I have a dedicated PC running Hikvision's backup software that backs up the video files on a daily basis. However, that will not guarantee that I have the video required to be evidence should a burglar steal the DVR prior to that day's backup completion. I want to circumvent such an event if NAS can be configured as the simultaneously redundant "HDD", or Storage server, of the DVR's internal HDDs. If this redundancy of the DVR recordings are possible on a simultaneous basis, I will be able to ensure that I have evidence of a burglary. At least, that is my strategy.

Last edited by a moderator:

acp_xt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
AM I correctly assuming that the term ‘redundant HDD’ signifies it will be a mirror image of the HDDs that are in the DVR?

If my assumption is correct, then I have another question, being: When does it start to mirror the other HDDs?
Hi your question may not be clear enough and this could be why you have not got any responses yet. When you say redundant are you talking about your Hikvision(?) DVR or the QNAP NAS? You also mention 3 NAS devices. You will have to be clearer about your setup to get more accurate/detailed responses I think.

To answer your specific questions, the term 'redundant HDD' means the HDD in question is duplicating data from another drive (or network data source). In your case it sounds like your DVR doesnt have redundant data storage - your QNAP NAS is the redundant backup of your non-redundant DVR and furthermore your NAS itself is redundant (it is configured in a data mirroring RAID setup). Is this correct?

To your second question, assuming you are talking about the QNAP NAS (I have one using Surveillance Station recording 2 Hikvisions 24/7), your NAS starts mirroring the data to the redundant HDD as soon as it is written to the primary HDD (assuming you have a 2 disk setup in your NAS).

Hope this helps.

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your response. My statement of having 3 NAS units may have been a mistake. IT is true, but I am only trying to manipulate the QNAP NAS, a 469 Pro, to be a redundant drive for the Hikvision DS-7216-HWI-SH DVR. The DVR is maximized at HDD upper limit of 4 GB using Q2-2GB HDDs internally. I am wanting to simultaneously record that which is being recorded by the DVR, to my NAS, which has Q4-3TB WD Red HDD and yield a little over 8GB availability, using RAID 5.
With those specifications, I've attempted to utilize iSCSI/LUN and direct storage within specified directory on the NAS. I've experienced varied levels of accomplishment, but never complete success.
My question is, can the NAS be configured as the redundant HDD [storage server] of the DVR when the existing Q2 HDDs within the DVR are not in any RAID configuration. This surveillance system was installed in either 2012 or 2013, to give you an idea of the technology at the time. I currently have Q9-Sony cameras in operation that are 960H. The DVR signal out supports 1080P HDMI and is a 16 channel DVR.

ps. Not sure how to merge. Copied every conversation into original on this thread.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've been asked the question about setting up RAID with NVRs a few times, and it baffles me as to why people can't simply let the firmware do it's job and manage the storage itself. Micromanaging kills. The benefits of RAID in regular computer systems are not the same in an NVR because they are performing completely different functions with the drives in the array. In the case of a computer, that means improved boot times and response times. the DVR boots from flash, so that huge benefit is completely negated. it's solely read/write storage speed, which is also somewhat moot because the DVRs are designed to perform just fine in single drive configs, so RAID won't make the logic board write to the drive any faster. It can only write as fast as it receives data from the cameras, essentially.

Rant aside, the HDD Redundancy feature in Hikvision firmware works like a RAID 0 or RAID 1 config. However the firmware can only duplicate as large as the primary drive(s) is/are capable of holding. You have 2 2TB drives in the system, so the most you can duplicate theoretically is up to 4TB. You would do this by setting the drive properties in the firmware for both internal drives to R/W, then the NAS drive(s) would be set up as redundancy. This should tell the firmware to duplicate the internal drives to the NAS. "Duplicate" means simultaneous read/write from the internal drive pair and the NAS). As far as when exactly this process starts, that's approaching micromanaging territory. However, you obviously want to know prior to a failure, not after the fact. Not saying your question isn't valid (it's very much valid) but it's one of those things, step back and let the firmware do its thing. Since it's replication of some form, and NOT overflow, I would have to guess immediately. Alternatively, you could set 2TB drive to R/W, another 2TB drive to redundant, and the NAS as redundant. More redundancy, but less space. Just throwing that out as an option so you understand how the firmware is slicing things up.

On that note, your 8TB NAS will cap out half way. RAID 5 is a striped array. Something I do not know is whether Hikvision uses a striped or non-striped RAID setup when they implemented their redundancy feature. Someone else might have more knowledge on this but I do not as I have no use for redundancy at the moment and haven't taken the time to research it. Striping is really a non-issue for a simple DVR, but I bring it up because RAID 0 is striped and RAID 1 is a mirror, but both forms of identical drive cloning. What they implemented (or maybe a hybrid implementation) is beyond me.

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been asked the question about setting up RAID with NVRs a few times, and it baffles me as to why people can't simply let the firmware do it's job and manage the storage itself. Micromanaging kills. The benefits of RAID in regular computer systems are not the same in an NVR because they are performing completely different functions with the drives in the array. In the case of a computer, that means improved boot times and response times. the DVR boots from flash, so that huge benefit is completely negated. it's solely read/write storage speed, which is also somewhat moot because the DVRs are designed to perform just fine in single drive configs, so RAID won't make the logic board write to the drive any faster. It can only write as fast as it receives data from the cameras, essentially.

Rant aside, the HDD Redundancy feature in Hikvision firmware works like a RAID 0 or RAID 1 config. However the firmware can only duplicate as large as the primary drive(s) is/are capable of holding. You have 2 2TB drives in the system, so the most you can duplicate theoretically is up to 4TB. You would do this by setting the drive properties in the firmware for both internal drives to R/W, then the NAS drive(s) would be set up as redundancy. This should tell the firmware to duplicate the internal drives to the NAS. "Duplicate" means simultaneous read/write from the internal drive pair and the NAS). As far as when exactly this process starts, that's approaching micromanaging territory. However, you obviously want to know prior to a failure, not after the fact. Not saying your question isn't valid (it's very much valid) but it's one of those things, step back and let the firmware do its thing. Since it's replication of some form, and NOT overflow, I would have to guess immediately. Alternatively, you could set 2TB drive to R/W, another 2TB drive to redundant, and the NAS as redundant. More redundancy, but less space. Just throwing that out as an option so you understand how the firmware is slicing things up.

On that note, your 8TB NAS will cap out half way. RAID 5 is a striped array. Something I do not know is whether Hikvision uses a striped or non-striped RAID setup when they implemented their redundancy feature. Someone else might have more knowledge on this but I do not as I have no use for redundancy at the moment and haven't taken the time to research it. Striping is really a non-issue for a simple DVR, but I bring it up because RAID 0 is striped and RAID 1 is a mirror, but both forms of identical drive cloning. What they implemented (or maybe a hybrid implementation) is beyond me.
Most grateful for your response. Everything you stated, I "believed" before asking the question, if that makes any sense. The problems I've run into are that same configs yield different results across different NAS units. Different configs yielded same group of problems. No consistency other than failure. With one NAS, the DVR could see, access, and initiate with all those same-sized files. Just never could get any redundant recordings. On another NAS, nothing. On another NAS, I might see the NETTHDD/NAS in DVR software but would be unable to initiate the drive. Did not matter if I ran it in same HDD group, in a different, redundant, non-redundant, iSCSI/LUN, SANS...I had not thought about the RAID differentiations or DVR inability [or ability] to read different RAIDs. The question about the DVR HDDs being in RAID config was purely for my own gratification as I had not seen any option that I could remember that I could configure other than the redundant option. I think that is just plain mirroring, but, I am not a learned man with DVRs, NVRs, or surveillance cams.

However, I don't think at this point it is going to matter much anymore. Tried a firmware upgrade, with Hikvision's designation that the firmware version was for the model number of my DVR. WELL, turns out to be a cluster-you-know-what....seems their firmware 'upgrade' was for an IP model DVR and NOT for the ANALOG 960 H DVR that I have. DVR runs, if you want to believe the blinking LEDs, but totally inaccessible now. Main monitor shows after boot, a black screen with the words "Invalid Format" in white, that bounce around to different locations on the monitor screen. Hikvision's website indicated that this version of firmware could NOT be backed out. REALLY, REALLY angry about this because the firmware notes indicated that it cured a stack overflow....something I understood might be the cause of my monitoring LCD just going blank for periods of time. Never was overly extensive, but, one really doesn't want any gaps in their coverage. Why buy a system that does that, right?

SO, thank you again for your response. I've sent a nasty email to Hikvision's US Sales Office email address since they provide no other means of communication or support for their equipment. I truly hope there is a positive solution.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well now it sounds like you're really in a pickle. I've never purchased any analog Hikvision equipment, and since you're contacting Hikvision USA I'm assuming yours is a genuine US product, so region is moot in your case. "Invalid format" means the resolution is likely too high for the monitor to display. The highest most Hikvision recorders are capable of putting out are 1080p (except for those ending in an I suffix, which are 4K recorders, that won't apply to you). I'm not sure what size display you have on it but if it's not 1080p, see if there is any way you can hook it up to a TV or something else that is. Long enough for you to go back into the settings and lower the resolution. As to why this changed, I can't explain that. Are you able to access it over the network through a browser? You can change the display settings through there as well. Just because you can't get a display output does not mean it isn't recording. I guess if you see any HDD activity at all, that's a sign it's still alive, just headless. (Headless refers to any device that is accessed exclusively remotely, no local control, monitor, etc)

Hikvision support is hit or miss, not counting regional issues. I'm a die hard believer in buying direct, as I like to trim as much fat as possible. Secondly, I cannot stand rebranded products because finding information on them is near impossible. However, in the case of Hikvision, it's one of the few exceptions buying through a reputable reseller is priceless, IF support is important to you. In my case I'm savvy enough to figure almost anything out, else I inquire about it on here as you have done. Honestly you're going to get better support here and from 3rd parties than from Hikvision themselves. Sad but true.

Back to your issues, need to solve in order now that you've unintentionally added insult to injury by pouring salt on your own wounds:

1) NVR display
- check for network access. Connect to it through a browser and login. If you can manage to do this, go to configuration > system settings > menu output > and change it to whatever resolution your monitor supports. Not sure what firmware version you're on and if you have the newer web interface introduced over the summer or the older gray and red one, but that's how I do it on 7600s. You have a 7200 so it might be a little bit different.
If the above fails, open SADP on your computer to see if the NVR is visible. You can download the latest version of SADP (v3.0) from Hikvision's website if you don't already have it.

2) Storage
- There are a lot of complaints about network storage not functioning correctly. More complaints than comments. (Less than 50% success by a landslide). The fact that it's not working for you does not surprise me. I'm not sure if Hikvision is using SMB (Windows file sharing), WebDAV, NFS, FTP, or what protocol it's specifically using. The fact that you got anything to work at all is an accomplishment. I really don't know what to tell you to try and get that going, besides making sure firmware versions on all devices are current and almost to the point of starting a clean NFS share for the recorder from scratch to rule out past problems. You would think this would be a standard, but as you can tell there's enough variance between manufacturer firmware to make your head spin. USB is a global standard, but has wildly different implementations that vary by device and manufacturer. This is no different. You are not alone though, I just don't think there's a solution currently. At the very least, ensure that your internal storage is recording. Redundancy is only reassurance, not necessity. As you said, make sure that you at least have something recording.

3) Firmware
- Hikvision's massive weakness. Per the Hikvision portal, the latest version of firmware for your recorder is 3.1.4 with a build date of 4/30/2015. That is dated from an electronics standard (it goes obsolete the minute you leave the store) but I wouldn't call it obsolete just yet. The change log indicates 2 things:

- new password strategy (new Activation feature perhaps? If so you're in for quite a treat)
- fix some bugs (extremely vague)

Is this what you applied to your NVR? I always fetch my firmware from Europe because it's more current and the portal is very nice to work with. It works great with non-Chinese devices so I stick with it.
Here is the correct firmware for your model:
DVR_18_EUROPEAN_ML_STD_V3.1.4_build150430.zip

Usually there's checks to ensure you don't apply the wrong one. If they can check to make sure you speak English or Chinese, they sure can check to make sure you don't brick it. In fact I have mistakenly tried to upload IP camera firmware to an NVR and it said upgrade failed. So it did catch me. Even so, I've recovered many recorders with 100% success, so I wasn't too worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well now it sounds like you're really in a pickle. I've never purchased any analog Hikvision equipment, and since you're contacting Hikvision USA I'm assuming yours is a genuine US product, so region is moot in your case. "Invalid format" means the resolution is likely too high for the monitor to display. The highest most Hikvision recorders are capable of putting out are 1080p (except for those ending in an I suffix, which are 4K recorders, that won't apply to you). I'm not sure what size display you have on it but if it's not 1080p, see if there is any way you can hook it up to a TV or something else that is. Long enough for you to go back into the settings and lower the resolution. As to why this changed, I can't explain that. Are you able to access it over the network through a browser? You can change the display settings through there as well. Just because you can't get a display output does not mean it isn't recording. I guess if you see any HDD activity at all, that's a sign it's still alive, just headless. (Headless refers to any device that is accessed exclusively remotely, no local control, monitor, etc)

Hikvision support is hit or miss, not counting regional issues. I'm a die hard believer in buying direct, as I like to trim as much fat as possible. Secondly, I cannot stand rebranded products because finding information on them is near impossible. However, in the case of Hikvision, it's one of the few exceptions buying through a reputable reseller is priceless, IF support is important to you. In my case I'm savvy enough to figure almost anything out, else I inquire about it on here as you have done. Honestly you're going to get better support here and from 3rd parties than from Hikvision themselves. Sad but true.

Back to your issues, need to solve in order now that you've unintentionally added insult to injury by pouring salt on your own wounds:

1) NVR display
- check for network access. Connect to it through a browser and login. If you can manage to do this, go to configuration > system settings > menu output > and change it to whatever resolution your monitor supports. Not sure what firmware version you're on and if you have the newer web interface introduced over the summer or the older gray and red one, but that's how I do it on 7600s. You have a 7200 so it might be a little bit different.
If the above fails, open SADP on your computer to see if the NVR is visible. You can download the latest version of SADP (v3.0) from Hikvision's website if you don't already have it.

2) Storage
- There are a lot of complaints about network storage not functioning correctly. More complaints than comments. (Less than 50% success by a landslide). The fact that it's not working for you does not surprise me. I'm not sure if Hikvision is using SMB (Windows file sharing), WebDAV, NFS, FTP, or what protocol it's specifically using. The fact that you got anything to work at all is an accomplishment. I really don't know what to tell you to try and get that going, besides making sure firmware versions on all devices are current and almost to the point of starting a clean NFS share for the recorder from scratch to rule out past problems. You would think this would be a standard, but as you can tell there's enough variance between manufacturer firmware to make your head spin. USB is a global standard, but has wildly different implementations that vary by device and manufacturer. This is no different. You are not alone though, I just don't think there's a solution currently. At the very least, ensure that your internal storage is recording. Redundancy is only reassurance, not necessity. As you said, make sure that you at least have something recording.

3) Firmware
- Hikvision's massive weakness. Per the Hikvision portal, the latest version of firmware for your recorder is 3.1.4 with a build date of 4/30/2015. That is dated from an electronics standard (it goes obsolete the minute you leave the store) but I wouldn't call it obsolete just yet. The change log indicates 2 things:

- new password strategy (new Activation feature perhaps? If so you're in for quite a treat)
- fix some bugs (extremely vague)

Is this what you applied to your NVR? I always fetch my firmware from Europe because it's more current and the portal is very nice to work with. It works great with non-Chinese devices so I stick with it.
Here is the correct firmware for your model:
DVR_18_EUROPEAN_ML_STD_V3.1.4_build150430.zip

Usually there's checks to ensure you don't apply the wrong one. If they can check to make sure you speak English or Chinese, they sure can check to make sure you don't brick it. In fact I have mistakenly tried to upload IP camera firmware to an NVR and it said upgrade failed. So it did catch me. Even so, I've recovered many recorders with 100% success, so I wasn't too worried.

Out of the pickle, up to a point. Got to thinking about what you said re: resolution. The "monitor" that I've been using is a 40" Visio LCD, via HDMI and wall mounted in one room, so I can see what is happening from my recliner. It still presents the two words "Invalid Format". I also have the iVMS4200 client on my PCs, cells, tablets, laptops. They no longer display anything. Error message is that either camera is offline or disabled....right. Maybe need to install a different client???

I can access GUI via VGA monitor. Rather ancient but seems to be working. I cannot for the live of me find anywhere in the configuration menu where I can "manipulate" the video output to the Visio.
I'm beginning to think that things aren't as bad as I first suspected, Thank God! Went through quite a few curse words, don't you know.

Maybe with a little time, and maybe some documentation as to what each piece of this new config menu REALLY means, I may be able to figure it out. I AM certain that I will need a little help from my friends... :)

I appreciate your responses far more than you will know. Thank you. Will talk soon.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does your interface look green and leafy, or red? Either way, it should be located under the Configuration section of the main menu.

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well....after fiddling with the DVR that is showing all cameras functional [per VGA mode], I realized that even if Continuous Recording is selected, the most recent file was recorded around 1515 hours today - the same time the firmware was upgraded.

Went back, Mr. CoreyX64, and reflashed with the Euro version. Slight difference in file size, no difference in system response. HDMI output is still "Invalid Format" & no cameras are recording, regardless of setting, as far as I can tell; although, cameras are displaying as if they are recording. HDDs appear to be ok via diagnostics. However, the only time I see the red LED for HDD is at bootup. That is a scary thought.

***Interface is predominantly red banner at top, with body varying shades of grey to black backgounds, etc.

***Currently have Video and Event outputs set to VGA/HDMI. I have no idea what the other one refers to. The word "Main", and some letters, CVBS.

***Tablet has iVMS4500 on it. Getting one error message from iVMS4500 HD client: is "Error code 153". Very difficult to chase this stuff down with the 'great' documentation that Hikvison provides.

***Found a post from October 2015 that was having same issue as I am regarding the iVMS4500. His post seems to indicate that he was having a lot in common with what I am going through right now.

***Oh, forgot to offer this: Yes, I had flashed with the firmware you indicated.

***Network is functioning correctly. No problem Pinging the DVR.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Something definitely isn't right. Even if it's not recording, your NVR isn't dead. That is the absolute best news to hear. Go into Menu > configuration and see if you can change the display output on it. There's an option to simultaneously display VGA And HDMI. It might only be told to do one. Even though that's not how it was before, anything from this point forward you can assume is messed up.

If all falls through, reset the NVR to factory. You'll lose all of your NVR settings, but not data recorded to the drive. Again, last resort. That should almost guarantee you restoration to normal.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Red and black tells me it's of the newer firmware generation. Older ones are green and leafy. Yes the headers on the menus had leaves on them. This never made sense to me.

You should have your menu output resolution set to 1920x1080 if it's a TV (no reason that should't work over HDMI, or set it lower to test with, such as 1024x768). My NVR is headless and in a cabinet so everything I do is remotely, else I'd go through this with you so I can better understand. The onscreen menus are *slightly* different than web UI menus, but overall are pretty much neck and neck as far as the actual options are concerned. This is what I'm referring to:
Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 11.54.23 PM.png

Check and/or change the resolution, and after it reboots, if you still get nothing, absolutely factory reset it. Honestly at this point I would go right to that option as this would drive me nuts with next to no access to the recorder. The fact that it isn't web accessible tells me there's more than just a resolution problem going on. At that rate, factory reset hands down. Firmware updates can and do go wrong. In your case, it sounds like the config got screwed up. At least your NVR isn't full-out bricked. That would be bad. Every 7700 series NVR that I own (6 or so) I ordered prior to them implementing a new security feature called Activation. Activation basically eliminated the 12345 default password on everything. I'm all for that. But they did not implement things in the best manner, so any NVR with firmware lacking the activation feature, upon upgrade, was permanently locked out. It wiped out the admin user completely, and there was no method to login to fix it, or password reset it or anything. It was a nightmare. Had to do this 6 times, recovering all of the NVRs using a serial cable. It's super easy for me to do now, and I don't sweat it one bit, but when the very first NVR died, you understand how frustrating that was. You're experiencing a similar but lesser degree of the same situation.

To reset, this would be under the maintenance menu > defaults. You'll want to reset everything.

You never did mention what SADP showed. That's a very important piece of the puzzle to determine what happened. Make sure you are using SADP version 3:
http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Software/00 Software Tool Package/01 SADP Tools/new/V3.0.0.2/&file=SADP_v3.0.0.2build20150911.zip

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Awakened today to find that it appears the cameras are now recording "event" of motion. Couldn't find any footage after about 1500 hrs yesterday, but for some reason, I have footage from the wee hours of the morning [0000 hrs forward for 02/20/2016] after I went to bed.

SADP is representing the DVR as it is configured in my client software on two different devices and client versions:
S/N is correct, port selection is correct,
IP address is correct [static as it once was, although initial "flash" set DHCP option to ON],
Software version reflects most recent flash to the V3.1.4 Build 04/30/2015.

I am buffaloed as to what is wrong at this point. Network seems to be intact, but I can't receive streams on client software. Both client software versions appear to be configured identically, and in-sync with DVR parameters, yet no streaming of video whatsoever. That makes no sense when all parameters appear to be as they were originally. I'm missing something....something small but very huge.

FYI......iVMS4200 error now is: "Failed to get stream, restart connection. Error Code iVMS4200.exe [302] [Camera is disabled or not connected.]

0540 hrs: Just tried to connect via tablet & iVMS4500 HD. Error message there was incorrect user ID and password. Got that squared and login error is the "Error Code 153".....

So, it appears that I am down to the inability to monitor remotely via either version of client software and generating one error code per version. I would assume at this point that the Code 153 & 302 are actually one and the same problem, just coded differently each of the client version software.

Of possible interest:
**The backup software is also generating the "Error Code 153". Need to figure out how to resolve this error code and I think that might just cure all the problems.
**Backup software: Hikvision Remote Backup, running on Lenovo Win 8.1 box
**iVMS4200 client: running on Win 7 Pro
**iVMS4500 HD: running on Sprint Slate 8" tablet & Samsung Note cell phone

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
0630 hrs: Update - Not sure why, but neither client monitoring software versions work with this new "firmware" [actually, firmware and GUI were both updated]. In that "update/flash", it appears that the "monitoring" process/function has been reallocated to web based access, rather than the interface of the client monitoring software versions iVMS4200 and iVMS4500 HD.

I discovered this by typing in DVR IP address and executing browser. Lo, and behold, I got a logon screen. Logged in, had to install web component, restart browser, activate web component, and VIOLA! I had access to the DVR.

Walked through configuration of the device and found that the resolution was one step below 1920x1080. DVR automatically rebooted upon resetting the resolution to max option. Walked into room where I was monitoring with VGA - I'll be damned, no signal on the VGA. SOOOO, I turned on the Visio with both fingers crossed. It WORKED! Apparently, the "Invalid Format" message was indicating that the input signal resolution was insufficient, rather than being too much. A little tweaking on the web-based access, and I now can monitor the DVR from my PC.

For anyone who walks this path, once you get to the web-based access, you have to configure your Live View. Select your layout the jump to the Live View menu at top of page. You will be greeted with the layout you selected as well as a side panel on the left, where your cameras are listed. Select in your layout, the position that you want a particular camera to display, click on desired camera, then double-click the position where you want that camera displayed. Repeat for all cameras. Instant monitoring!

Two things observed: 1. I now have "zoom" ability that I did not have via previous monitoring software, and, 2. The PTZ controls are automatically front-and-center options for every camera, regardless of whether you have a camera with those capabilities or not.

I now have 2 problems left to resolve. The daily backup of the files generated, and, monitoring via mobile devices. These are going to require some thought since I can't access via client software anymore.

GETTING CLOSER!
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
0700 hrs: Update - Web-based monitoring leaves a lot to be desired. Live View camera layout reverts to some default of 4x4 if you venture from that tab. And, I'm not really liking the idea of having to reconstruct my camera layout every time I access this DVR via a browser. And, then, there's this option for IP cameras....good luck with that if you refuse to utilize wireless. I have no options on my DVR for IP cams...what the hell?

A person should be given the option to decide whether they want to give up the ability to backup their files on an automated schedule or not, over a 'new' GUI [especially one that cannot be removed or repaired].....I do NOT have the time to manually perform that function on a daily basis...And, I guess that answers the original question of whether one can simultaneously record to a network device while recording to internal HDDs...I mean, if the browser-based monitoring won't retain something as simple as a camera display format, Geez, just what good is this new GUI? Hikvision needs their collective arses kicked between their shoulder blades.

I'm glad my DVR still functions, but totally pissed at the loss of functionality. Pure BS.
:mad-new::sad::mad-new::sad::mad-new::sad::mad-new::sad:

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
0730 hrs: Update - This is rich. Web-based monitoring became unresponsive. All cameras disappeared. Could not access DVR information. Closed browser and attempted to log back in -FORGET IT, PAL! Error message: "Unit is locked down for 30 minutes"
I had done nothing but sit and watch the cameras for the past 30 minutes.....
Now you understand why the SOBs have that damned disclaimer up front that you "agree" with before the install.....wish I had the resources to sue these jerks.

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
0815 hrs: Update - Still unable to access via browser; same error "Locked, try back in 30 minutes". Problem is, it has been almost 45 minutes. Incidentally, I can access DVR at the DVR. Is this some BS, or what?

0915 hrs: Update - User 'admin' is locked. The documentation I found under the upgraded iVMS4200 client, indicates that the 'admin' user can unlock users via SDK...that's great if you know what the hell SDK is....or, if ADMIN is NOT locked.
Other than that, still getting same errors via client software. I suspect it has an awful lot to do with the locked user thing. I'm just about convinced to go on Amazon, order the Tribid DVR I've been looking at that has 24 channel capacity to handle multiple camera types.....Pursuing things that are not documented [thank you very damned much, Hikvision], with no forewarning, is just stupid. Pure stupid.

Please forgive my rant but I've just about had all I can deal with from a company that has its proverbial head up its ass when it comes to documentation and customer support. And, before anyone jumps me for having this equip, I did not select it. It was 'installed' at a time I was uneducated in this field. So, not entirely my fault. I thought I had covered all the bases, at the time.

Anyway, I've missed an appointment this morning, worrying about getting this damned system back to normal. Leaving it to see if I can still get brake job done on a Saturday, even though I'll be 3 hours late.

1145 hrs: Update - Brake job completed. Also, found where I could "set" Live View to, um, 'auto-start'...really?? It should load automatically, but, what do I know? Still no stream captured via the 'updated' iVMS4200 client software. User "admin" was "freed" from his prison while I was gone. Don't know if reboot of DVR from DVR console had anything to do with it. OK, so now we tackle how to do backups and remote monitoring AFTER we figure out how to capture the stream that should already be streaming since DVR is actually recording as it should, I think....God, I love trying to solve one problem, only to have your resolution create only God knows how many more.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Login: It sounds like a lot of this actually might be related to their newer login procedures. Make sure your password for the admin user is deemed "Strong". In the NVR settings on the NVR itself, make sure your admin password is 8 characters with a capital and number. I've had instances in the past where a weak password would only let me login to the NVR, but not the web UI even though the password was certainly correct. If it says wait X amount of time, just power cycle it. That'll jump the waiting period.

Resolution: I made the assumption it was too high not knowing you had a TV at the time. 1080 is TV standard, so "invalid format" is only saying that it's a resolution not supported by that specific TV. Another display might work fine. But you get the idea. That's why I said to try the web interface so you can visually see what's going on again. As to why VGA quit, that's odd. But don't sweat it since you aren't using that anyways.

It's very obvious you are now discovering why people on here love Hikvision's hardware because it's cheap and in general, reliable, but it's firmware is no good. You can throw a new coat of paint on it but if it's nonfunctional, there's no point. Same with features that your DVR doesn't offer, those should be hidden and aren't.

Custom layout: this is something I haven't messed with a ton, but you should be able to save the layout somehow. What I do is just rearrange the cameras in the order I want by physically re-numbering them. Saves less headaches in the firmware. I just click the Play All button at the bottom of the viewer frame. This opens all cameras in a best-fit arrangement.

SADP: that's good. Firmware that is crashed or corrupted, especially on cameras, will show up with some very odd information.

Software: iOS and android apps should be able to update through the app/play stores, to ensure those are current.

The Windows version you have to hunt for updates. The latest version:

Firmware: Web based access is only a second form of viewing. Nothing would ever be reallocated. Your local access is somewhat hindered which makes it appear as such, but that would never be the case. I agree, I'm not fond of the PTZ controls being so large and in your face, but this has actually been the case for a long time now, they just got slightly bigger more recently. Also depends on the size of your computer display as well. Bigger display, it's not as big of a problem.

IP cameras and wireless have no correlation. In fact the majority of them are wired. That note aside, what it seems to me is going on is they have "blanket firmware" that they are applying to all of their devices, and only enabling features as they are needed. But really, good design would call for such features to be flat out hidden.

Try changing your admin password to a strong password as I indicated above, restart the DVR, and try again. (Login on all of your devices)

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for response, again!
I have strong passwords in place for both DVR console and clients, whether iVMS or web-based. In fact, I think I set it to the same password, although unnecessary, since each instance has its own login process locally. It is the iVMS loss of functionality that really chaps my, well, you know what....Hikvision should have a moral obligation, if nothing else, to present possible results of their "upgrade".
I've spent almost 15 years in IT, and, this kind of result with NO forewarning, is unforgivable.

I found that with the "upgrade" one is forced to check a box if they want Live View to open "automatically" when application is executed. I mean, seeing what your cameras do was the whole point of this software, right?? Why would anyone want to set that up as an "option"? Chinese logic, I suppose...it certainly isn't American.

If you read this string, Coryex64, do you have any opinion on the: HDView® 24CH Tribrid: 16 Channel HD-TVI and 960H Cameras + 8 Channel IP Cameras, Surge Protection, 1080P HDMI, Commercial Grade Security DVR NVR? For your convenience:
http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00Y7OSOJ4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2JRKG726RM5QV&coliid=I16T0GFTO0XA1V
Cameras are Sony DH-BF-647W & DH-DF-437W. Not sure if they are OnVif compliant, but will look into it as the HDView is.

I may be naive but am thinking that for $230, I might be able to solve my question about being able to simultaneously record footage [OR, direct the recordings to a network device instead of internal HDDs] AND be able to monitor easily with Blue Iris [never used it, so I have no idea what it can do]. Plus, I give myself the option of upgrading my cameras, or adding better cams later on.

Without the Hikvision, of course.

You know, at one time, I had considered either purchasing a "dummy" recorder for living areas [with it wired as if real], while "real" DVR was located somewhere else, say the attic. Maybe even mount it under a desk or something in office, where the bundle of coaxial would not look out of place....lots of variation scenarios in that train of thought. Even thought of using two working DVRs with coaxial feed from cameras split to each DVR, sort of a mirroring, if you will. Decided not to pursue later option after discussing signal loss and output degradation with a guy who knew his stuff. Too bad I already had purchased BNC/RG58 coax splitters to the tune of almost $200...expensive, yeah I know....but, heavy brass and well-machined...not lightweight stuff.
Anyway, still looking to get connected via client monitoring software [client] at 0030 hrs on 02/21/2016....have gone beyond anger and frustration...just trying to find a solution at this point...if I can't record simultaneously to two different locations, I guess I'd settle for simple daily backup as I've been living with.

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does your interface look green and leafy, or red? Either way, it should be located under the Configuration section of the main menu.
I never understood the leaf thing either....programmer probably thought it was cool. Who knows, right? I mean, we're dealing with Chinese people here....no rhyme or reason for the way they think. Very different than American logic. To further that point, although different culture, the Japanese have a cigarette named "Smile"....really...go figure.

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
0400 hrs: Update - Seems a clean install of the iVMS4200 and RemoteBackup software was required.
Originally I just upgraded the existing instance of the client software. Client version read correctly - no access. Thought about, this morning, the idea of removing original iVMS4200 from OS and install the newer version of client. Successful. Accessed cameras automatically as the client software can find the device, once you install the IP address of your DVR.
Also, just set up the backup software [original download] cleanly, and, it, too found the DVR...configured a schedule, after importing cameras...and life is good...will be back to pretty much normal after this morning.

CoreyX64 <------I think you are correct in the possibility that QNAP RAID format is something that Hikvision does not play well with...tried to incorporate QNAP as NAS this morning. It was discovered perfectly by the backup software but unable to "inialize". Error was "format error"....The ability of the DVR to recognize/access/manipulate QNAP's RAID just doesn't exist, I'm afraid. That is my conclusion.
So, I think somewhere in near future, I'm going to step off and grab that 24 channel hybrid DVR because I want the capability to record somewhere else than DVR. Not content to just have a "snapshot" configured.

Anyway, wanted to say thank you for all your input. You kept me sane, or, relatively sane...I generally go ballistic when things happen that could have been avoided. So, I thank you for withstanding my rants. Talk with you soon.