Needing to build New (upgraded) BI system for more cams

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Currently just running 4 cams on my 3770S system.

Building new house and am estimating about 9-10 Starlight 2MP cams.
Trying to figure out if I should upgrade the old Ivy Bridge 3770S or build something a little newer....and if so, what would be an adequate CPU to handle the load (D2D enabled)?

I don't care whether it's Ivy or Kaby....I'd just rather keep the cost down while still having a system that can run this load 'comfortably'.

Would LOVE to hear thoughts and recommendations!

Last edited:

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Won't be needed until about Feb next year.

Forgot to mention that I'll likely be running the cams at 15FPS and have motion detection.
If I stay with Ivy Bridge, looks like the highest I can go and still get Quick Sync is the 3770K. Is that even enough for the load I'm expecting?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Won't be needed until about Feb next year.

Forgot to mention that I'll likely be running the cams at 15FPS and have motion detection.
If I stay with Ivy Bridge, looks like the highest I can go and still get Quick Sync is the 3770K. Is that even enough for the load I'm expecting?
you load is low...(if the 4 cams you have now are 1080p as well)...it will run fine on your current system.

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fenderman, just to be clear, this is regards to a 9-10 2MP cam setup. I can't quite tell if you're indicating that you think the current system is fine for my existing 4 cam setup or the soon-to-be 9-10 setup.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman, just to be clear, this is regards to a 9-10 2MP cam setup. I can't quite tell if you're indicating that you think the current system is fine for my existing 4 cam setup or the soon-to-be 9-10 setup.
if you will have a total 10 cam x 2mp setup, 20mp is a very low load for your current processor...no need to upgrade...

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, that's good to hear! Going to need the money for all the new cams anyway. :)

PeteCress

n3wb
Reaction score
Building new house and am estimating about 9-10 Starlight 2MP cams.
Trying to figure out if I should upgrade the old Ivy Bridge 3770S or build something a little newer....and if so, what would be an adequate CPU to handle the load (D2D enabled)?

I don't care whether it's Ivy or Kaby....
You are way ahead of me on the processor terminology, but I have seven cams running at 1920x1080/30fps with motion detection and 5-minute clips 24-7 on an i7-4770K box - which is also running a Tivo-on-Steroids home theater app and it does not seem unduly stressed - about 42% CPU as I write this and I am seldom able to detect any slowdown as I go about my daily work on it.

For comparison, I have six cams at 1280x720/30fps - no motion detection, just 5-minute clips 24-7 - on an AMD-something-or-other down at the Jersey shore and the thing is basically on it's knees: 100% CPU as soon as I TeamViewer into it.... Somebody has donated an i7 laptop and I am in the process of building it up to replace the AMD box, although I am not too sure how storage will work out with USB3-connected external drives.

One thing to consider about the new box is how many drives it will accommodate..... 3-TB drives are really cheap and a few of them can give you some *serious* clip storage.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You are way ahead of me on the processor terminology, but I have seven cams running at 1920x1080/30fps with motion detection and 5-minute clips 24-7 on an i7-4770K box - which is also running a Tivo-on-Steroids home theater app and it does not seem unduly stressed - about 42% CPU as I write this and I am seldom able to detect any slowdown as I go about my daily work on it.

For comparison, I have six cams at 1280x720/30fps - no motion detection, just 5-minute clips 24-7 - on an AMD-something-or-other down at the Jersey shore and the thing is basically on it's knees: 100% CPU as soon as I TeamViewer into it.... Somebody has donated an i7 laptop and I am in the process of building it up to replace the AMD box, although I am not too sure how storage will work out with USB3-connected external drives.

One thing to consider about the new box is how many drives it will accommodate..... 3-TB drives are really cheap and a few of them can give you some *serious* clip storage.
You are wasting tons of money using an old amd machine at high CPU...sell the laptop..but at 150 Dollar haswell based elite desk..