Neighborhood Watch Blue Iris System?

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Seems like a great marketing niche, having a networked Blue Iris system designed which neighbors can just purchase and install, covering a whole block or neighborhood.

I can imagine there are basic trust issues with video surveillance. But apart from the social questions, what would be the technical concerns? Is it all too daunting of a task, considering the variety of home networks out there?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Seems like a great marketing niche, having a networked Blue Iris system designed which neighbors can just purchase and install, covering a whole block or neighborhood.

I can imagine there are basic trust issues with video surveillance. But apart from the social questions, what would be the technical concerns? Is it all too daunting of a task, considering the variety of home networks out there?
Multi-user, Access controls, ownership of cameras / nvr / videos,....

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
If only to record all license plates coming and going through all access points to a neighborhood; then only the peripheral neighbors would need the cameras, and they would only be pointed at the street, not at any homes if possible.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If only to record all license plates coming and going through all access points to a neighborhood; then only the peripheral neighbors would need the cameras, and they would only be pointed at the street, not at any homes if possible.
How will you securely stream from the cams to the BI system. You would have to setup a vpn in each location. The folks would have to trust you to have access to their network....

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Or the cameras can be installed with a pair of Ubiquiti radios which extend the one home network all over the neighborhood. That way, a neighbor would only need to provide the local power and the placement of the camera on their property. In return, they would be granted user access to their camera. That was my original goal, but not really a turnkey system.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Or the cameras can be installed with a pair of Ubiquiti radios which extend the one home network all over the neighborhood. That way, a neighbor would only need to provide the local power and the placement of the camera on their property. In return, they would be granted user access to their camera. That was my original goal, but not really a turnkey system.
Thats alot of money and a lot of work...good luck.