Neighbor's Fence Gets Hit

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
Our license plate cameras caught the plate numbers of both the truck and RV in this video. The next day we gave our neighbor the plate numbers as they thought knew who hit their fence. A few hours later, the guy and the truck from the video shows up to look at the damage. A day after that the repair was started. This video shows the initial hit and also the repair. Some of the video runs at high speed. The very end of the video shows the truck and RV making the same U-turn in daylight without having to stop and backup.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't know how your mailbox is still standing with all the stuff that happens at that intersection. That guy with the flashlight probably distracted the driver and caused this whole mess. I liked how he waved to the driver as he drove off. "Come back again"

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Having pulled a 28 foot travel trailer with a Ford F-250 Super Duty Powerstroke for several years IMO he made some serious tactical errors:

1) YOU never back up a rig like that in those surroundings before parking it, getting out, walking around, seeing what could be an issue and planning in your mind what you're going to do.​
2) If it were me, I would have pulled way past the man with the flashlight, with the rear almost past the corner but parallel to the curb of the main road and then backed up with right rear wheel coming close to that right corner near flashlight man...that would have given him plenty of room.​
3) You never back up where you can't see...if he was going to enlist flashlight man's help, he should have been at the left rear and signaled the driver as he approached the obstacle.​
4) YOU DON'T BACK UP SO DAMN FAST!​

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Watching that I think the guy driving needs just a "little" more practice backing up with a trailer. He never reversed the front wheel direction and the trailer just kept going to the same spot, over and over again. He doesn't seem to understand how to get a trailer to change direction in reverse.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm literally in tears watching this. Hilarious .. all of it. From the nimrod backing into the fence, to the repair guy doing a Benny Hill high speed impression with his hammer.

Did the guy ever come back to fix the fence in earnest, or was that supposed to be the repair??

Zook

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not even clear on who owns the trailer, why he arrived at night to dick around only to leave, and why he came back around during the day to spin a 360 and leave, yet again. Something stinks...
Maybe they felt this was a good place to practice something for some particular reason. What I've learned in my years is that people are dumb, and they do dumb things for dumb reasons, or even no reason at all.

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm literally in tears watching this. Hilarious .. all of it. From the nimrod backing into the fence, to the repair guy doing a Benny Hill high speed impression with his hammer.

Did the guy ever come back to fix the fence in earnest, or was that supposed to be the repair??
He hasn't been back yet, but I think he might return. The first time he left, but then made a U-turn he got out to remove a broken piece. There was a bar connecting the 2 posts at the corner. This piece got broken when it was hit. At the end he slides the bar off and puts it in his back pocket. That's when he finally drives off.

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
I am wondering if the fence repair guy works for the guy with the trailer? He may have a contracting business and told one of the guys to drive up and repair the fence.
I believe you are correct here. When the repair guy arrives, you can hear him talking to himself. From what he says, the guy never told him how it happened. Just to go up there and fix it.

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not even clear on who owns the trailer, why he arrived at night to dick around only to leave, and why he came back around during the day to spin a 360 and leave, yet again. Something stinks...
Out neighbor said they thought they had seen the truck and RV parked in front of a house right below this corner. That's why they wanted the license plate numbers so they could go and have a little chat with the driver of the truck. The street just below this corner is very narrow. There is no room to make a U-turn on that street.

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't know how your mailbox is still standing with all the stuff that happens at that intersection. That guy with the flashlight probably distracted the driver and caused this whole mess. I liked how he waved to the driver as he drove off. "Come back again"
You know I think you might be right that our neighbor walking towards the corner caused the driver to shorten his U-turn to avoid hitting him. Since you can see him making the same U-turn at the end of the video without having to stop,