Nelly's NVR model #

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
What are you trying to accomplish - are you just wanting "the latest and greatest".

If you are wanting to run 12mp cameras you don't want any of these NVR's. Running 12MP cameras at High quality and 20FPS you will exceed the incoming bandwidth limitations of this hardware. If you are chasing something that "supports" 12MP camera and has 4K then you are going about things all wrong.

Purchase hardware based on the project needs - if you are trying to "future proof" things, you'll most likely be fine with a 6mp supported NVR.

I know this doesn't answer your exact question, but the bottom line is most likely you can locate something that fits your true project needs if you look past the "bright lights of the spec sheets".

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I currently have the Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2/8P but am having issues with it freezing once every few days. I got it through Amazon but the seller isn't responsive anymore. I've decided to go through a supplier that has a better warranty (Nelly's).
I previously had a DS-7608NI-E2/8P but it couldn't handle 7 4mp cameras. So the next step up is this one isn't it?

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I currently have the Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2/8P but am having issues with it freezing once every few days.
V3.4.90 solved most of my freezing and reboot problems with my DS-7608NI-I2/8P and there's a newer version, V3.4.91 that the release notes address "Optimization 1. [Stability] Optimize 7608NI-I2/P NVR’s stability in high load situation."

HIKVISION EUROPE

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Isn't everything past 3.4.80 not safe for the 8 channel version, it doesn't have enough memory? I'll give .91 a shot. I tried 3.4.90 previously but that one crashed as well.

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, I think 3.4.90 specifically addressed the problems that 3.4.80 created for this NVR. With some re-installs I'm down to about one reboot a week with 3.4.90. I reset everything except for user accounts and network settings before I installed it. Let us know if V3.4.91 fixes your issues, I'll probably be installing it soon too.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry, I can't accept any reboots of the system. If I don't notice the issue it could stay frozen for days, not recording. I've installed .91, I'll keep posted.

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree about the reboots but after experiencing three or four an hour I feel like a survivor. Did you reset everything except user accounts and network settings? That turned out to be the key for me.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep I've reset and reset again. I almost have the whole setup in muscle memory.

This is why I am looking at different (more powerful) models. Even if I'm not going to use 50% of the power, I'd rather have one that works 100% of the time.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No crashes yet, but I have noticed in IVMS when double clicking one of the windows to maximize it (and get the camera to switch from sub-stream to main stream for better quality) the video hangs for a few minutes. Same happens on the mobile app as well.

New NVR arrives tomorrow, hopefully make some more results there.

rodeofive

n3wb
Reaction score
Have any updates on your new setup? Is it running okay now? Reboots?

No crashes yet, but I have noticed in IVMS when double clicking one of the windows to maximize it (and get the camera to switch from sub-stream to main stream for better quality) the video hangs for a few minutes. Same happens on the mobile app as well.

New NVR arrives tomorrow, hopefully make some more results there.

Dave88LX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What are you trying to accomplish - are you just wanting "the latest and greatest".

If you are wanting to run 12mp cameras you don't want any of these NVR's. Running 12MP cameras at High quality and 20FPS you will exceed the incoming bandwidth limitations of this hardware. If you are chasing something that "supports" 12MP camera and has 4K then you are going about things all wrong.

Purchase hardware based on the project needs - if you are trying to "future proof" things, you'll most likely be fine with a 6mp supported NVR.

I know this doesn't answer your exact question, but the bottom line is most likely you can locate something that fits your true project needs if you look past the "bright lights of the spec sheets".
I found this thread searching for that model number. I feel like there are things unsaid in your message that may be useful...

If we are not using 12MP cameras, is it a waste of money buying an NVR that runs up to 12MP? Better served saving money and buying the ones that support 4K/8MP?

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have any updates on your new setup? Is it running okay now? Reboots?
Haven't had any freezes to date. Today I updated the firmware on my cameras and had to power cycle the NVR to get them working properly, but that's a very small compaint.