nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
castle rock criminals even dress posh, total nest fail

but its DJI, so whadda expect?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
super wide angle mounted way too high with alot of pixels just walls and ceilings and crap.. guy probably saw the nest and thought they were no threat heh

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why is it a "Nest Fail"
What did I miss?
I mean it's better video than an old analog system, but had better cameras been installed in better locations identifying the thief would be much easier. This is what happens when business owners who don't know what they're doing DIY their camera install.

Add to that nest cams run on wifi and somebody could walk in with a wifi jammer app or dedicated device in their pocket and there'd be no video at all. If somebody can walk out with a couple grand in merch that easily you've got problems.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Update: despite the nest cams the thief was caught. It sound like he was caught in an unrelated encounter with cops last night.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
ONE 2mp camera mounted close to the front door zoomed in enough would have given a great face shot.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
castle rock criminals even dress posh, total nest fail

but its DJI, so whadda expect?
What's meant by that DJI dig? I have several of their models, with the most recent being their tiny Mavic pro. It beams back live 1080P from a mile away, and 720P from up to 4 miles away. Flies at 40MPH, and up to 27 minutes per battery. The number of sensors and level of engineering that make this thing rock solid in even extreme wind conditions, while recording crisp 4K 30 video is mind boggling. I don't know much about DJI other than their products are nothing short of a miraculous feat of engineering.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a Mavic too. Fantastic piece of technology. You can love it til you find a flaw that'll make you curse DJI. Like forward object avoidance. Great piece of technology, right? Until you need emergency return to home to kick in and home is into a low sun. Then it can see the sun as an unavoidable object to try and keep climbing over. Where's your drone then? Far from you waaaay up in the sky until the battery dies. Then hopefully it'll drop down and land on the spot. Hope it wasn't over a road. Or trees. Or water...

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a Mavic too. Fantastic piece of technology. You can love it til you find a flaw that'll make you curse DJI. Like forward object avoidance. Great piece of technology, right? Until you need emergency return to home to kick in and home is into a low sun. Then it can see the sun as an unavoidable object to try and keep climbing over. Where's your drone then? Far from you waaaay up in the sky until the battery dies. Then hopefully it'll drop down and land on the spot. Hope it wasn't over a road. Or trees. Or water...
No thanks

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
You can avoid it. Just turn off the forward OA. Good for newbies to keep from wrecking their drone in the first week though.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You can avoid it. Just turn off the forward OA. Good for newbies to keep from wrecking their drone in the first week though.
Or, learn the limitations and the workaround. Switching to sport mode automatically disables forward OA. The manual addresses this limitation (too bright or too dark lighting), bit I don't think the average Joe knows what to do to prevent it (especially in a panic).

Still, even with warts, the tech they're releasing is still mindblowingly good.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
I got a phantom 4 black edition for christmas from the wife. Going from no drone to the phantom 4 is a big step and a pretty good start. I can now see the difference with other drones but I do enjoy the DJI. The app sucks some times too.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I use Android but having the app disconnect randomly sucks while flying. I'm considering getting an iPad just for the Mavic.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I use Android but having the app disconnect randomly sucks while flying. I'm considering getting an iPad just for the Mavic.
Rocksolid on my Cabot (cheap Chinese phone) Android phone. I use it exclusively for litchi or DJI go 4

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Moto Z Play here. Android stability seems to be hit or miss with DJI Go 4.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Have any airframe crack problems with it? When I got my Mavic I didn't really want to spend for a P4P but crack problems scared me away from the P3 line. Plus the portability of the Mavic is insane for what it can do.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have any airframe crack problems with it? When I got my Mavic I didn't really want to spend for a P4P but crack problems scared me away from the P3 line. Plus the portability of the Mavic is insane for what it can do.
Negative, but I have been flying pod & boom RC helicopters for 20+ years so I'm not a good test subject.

It's never been abused, landed hard, hit anything etc. in over 100 flights in 18 months. Some P3's have had cracking problems, but I've been fortunate. I'm also on the original P3 firmware, 1.19 so i don't have the restrictions the later firmware versions have. I may have a slightly tilted horizon, but it's not a problem for my filming. The no fly zones are only 1 mile in my firmware.

SD