Nestcam Low FPS

SRF058

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got a Nestcam connected via wifi to a licensed copy of BI. I get a video stream but extremely low FPS rate, somewhere between .8 and 1.3 FPS. Using Speedtest on my iPhone I get 7 - 10 Mps upload at the camera and using Speedtest on my PC I'm getting 200+Mps so bandwidth shouldn't be a problem.

All the discussions I've seen regarding low FPS for other cameras suggesting tweaking settings in the camera but with the Nestcam that isn't possible.

Any suggestions at what I should look at to try and improve this?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've got a Nestcam connected via wifi to a licensed copy of BI. I get a video stream but extremely low FPS rate, somewhere between .8 and 1.3 FPS. Using Speedtest on my iPhone I get 7 - 10 Mps upload at the camera and using Speedtest on my PC I'm getting 200+Mps so bandwidth shouldn't be a problem.

All the discussions I've seen regarding low FPS for other cameras suggesting tweaking settings in the camera but with the Nestcam that isn't possible.

Any suggestions at what I should look at to try and improve this?
how is the image using nestcam app? are you getting more than 1fps?
best thing you can do is return/sell the nestcam...for that kind of money its a joke..

SRF058

n3wb
Reaction score
Image on the Nestcam app is great even using an iPhone without wifi. Picture is clear and sharp and cars driving has no jitters.

Jareds

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What do u mean without using Wi-Fi? Wi-Fi is most likely the problem. It just NEVER seems to be stable.

tdwilli1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What do u mean without using Wi-Fi? Wi-Fi is most likely the problem. It just NEVER seems to be stable.
I think he means having his phone just using the cell connection.

SRF058

n3wb
Reaction score
The Nestcam app provides a great video whether the phone I'm viewing it on is connected to wifi or just a cell phone connection. The Nestcam is only uploading its video through a wifi connection to the internet. So I believe both the Nestcam app and BI gets its video from the same source. But the app works great and BI doesn't.

An iPhone held next to the Nestcam shows an upload speed on Speedtest of 8-11Mps.

The computer on which I'm using BI is an i7-6700 with 16 gigs of memory and is downloading, according to Speedtest, at 200+Mps.

This leads me to the conclusion that the problem is with BI but after playing around with a number of settings nothing seems to work. Have contacted BI but they haven't responded yet so was reaching out to this community.

JimMac

n3wb
Reaction score
I was getting that low frame rate when using nest outdoor and blue iris 4.x, but it was because I had it configured in .jpg mode which only captured single frames at a time, which worked, but was very slow - .8 to 1 fps. When reconfiguring for RTMPS mode as demo'd in an online video, then the frame rate increased to around 8fps, still slow in my opinion as the next app on IOS seems to be much faster, maybe it is the size of the image that is being transferred ?