NETGEAR GS110TPv2 Mmgt Options?

Yojinbo

n3wb
Reaction score
So I have been out of the IP Admin game for a LONG time. The last time I did this it was for a living and it was a different time (Cheers was still a new show then). So imagine my surprise when I find out that my new NETGEAR GS110TPv2 needs Java installed to manage the ports.

One more piece of foolishness to install on my dedicated BI machine... My confusion grew when I realized that NETGEAR needs v7 of the Java RTE (They may not call it this anymore - I am old). Now, I have been splashing about the in ERP pool for many decades but I still read El Reg like a good IT Boffin should and I know that Java 7 has a worse reputation than most old software.

(Yes, the software on the NETGEAR disc also uses a browser to actually manage the device and it shells you out to same Need Java message that hitting the switch directly from a browser does)

I see where I could get it form the Oracle page if I sign up and accept an end user agreement.

Is there another way to mange this switch? In the early 90s we had visions of a sophisticated SNMP open standard that would let me manage Vendor Xs hardware from Vendor Ys software. Did this ever happen?

Is there a decent option for a small-time bloke like me to manage this box without installing risky sofware like Java RTE v7?

Thank you all for your kind attention.

Yojinbo

n3wb
Reaction score
I was thinking along those lines. I am loathe to install Java 7 on any machine under my control.