Netgear poe switches on sale

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good deal? I don't know. I just saw the deal on slickdeals and though the forum might want to lend opinions. Fwiw, I like netgear equipment in general.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Better deals out there.....IMO..but I am Cheap :)

Example: I just Snipped a GS728TPPv2 380w POE+ off of Ebay for $53..although 2 of the 4 SPF ports got ripped out. I just tested the 24 ports and all is good. Will not know about the 2 SPF ports until later.
You have to be patient.

AP514

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Why are all of these consumer-based companies going based on aesthetics? :idk: I prefer the industrial look, lol
Fanless design is great as long as it doesn't come with capacitors waiting to blow

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Better deals out there.....IMO..but I am Cheap :)

Example: I just Snipped a GS728TPPv2 380w POE+ off of Ebay for $53..although 2 of the 4 SPF ports got ripped out. I just tested the 24 ports and all is good. Will not know about the 2 SPF ports until later.
You have to be patient.

AP514
Once you factor in the loud noise and the extra powe consumption of those switch’s the savings is not there.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Once you factor in the loud noise and the extra powe consumption of those switch’s the savings is not there.
Well, the Noise was not that bad Testing... but that was under a No-load. The closet will be its home. If the Noise gets too bad I guess 2-Noctua Fans for $30 would/could help.
As far as the power I do not know (being new at this. I do not know what a typical power draw would/should be) The manual says 20.5W at Idle all the way up to 439W with every port POE+ going.
But I see in the Manual it has Green settings to power down unused Ports. (not sure how much it will help on power)
I just figured it was a good start for my Cams with room to grow. When I add more Cams or POE lighting in the Future I will have some the head room.

AP514

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't forget, even though these switches are passively cooled, you still need adequate ventilation in its surroundings. No wonder so many of the Ubiquiti 16 Port 150 Watt PoE switches failed, lol

Well, the Noise was not that bad Testing... but that was under a No-load. The closet will be its home. If the Noise gets too bad I guess 2-Noctua Fans for $30 would/could help.
As far as the power I do not know (being new at this. I do not know what a typical power draw would/should be) The manual says 20.5W at Idle all the way up to 439W with every port POE+ going.
But I see in the Manual it has Green settings to power down unused Ports. (not sure how much it will help on power)
I just figured it was a good start for my Cams with room to grow. When I add more Cams or POE lighting in the Future I will have some the head room.

AP514

Last edited:

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Oh the Closet is small walk in...Sorry for not stating that. I hope the GS728TPPv2 will have enough area for cooling