NetTime server error

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Having an issue with NetTime. Everything downloaded ok and it appears to be up and running but when I try and set up the NTP on my camera, it gives me a server error. I've attached a phot below to show the settings of both NetTime and what I'm entering in the HikVis interface.

Also, I've tried entering the server already as 0.nettime.pool, .nettimetime.pool as well as just nettime.pool as listed in the photo and I'm getting server connections errors.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro if that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
allow utp port 123 through your firewall...the server address will be the ip address of your pc running the program. So in your camera settings you should have the local ip of your pc.
The time servers listed in the program is where it gets its time...

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
allow utp port 123 through your firewall...the server address will be the ip address of your pc running the program. So in your camera settings you should have the local ip of your pc.
The time servers listed in the program is where it gets its time...
Is this the same as making inbound/outbound firewall rules? Because its only asking for TCP or UDP not UTP. Sorry im not really familiar with this stuff

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you gotta check that box that says: Allow other computers to sync to this computer

you then set your camera's NTP server to be that of your NetTime IP
I saw this after I posted the question and figured it was probably needed... But I didn't check the box for "Always Provide Time" since it said not recommended. Should I leave that unchecked?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I saw this after I posted the question and figured it was probably needed... But I didn't check the box for "Always Provide Time" since it said not recommended. Should I leave that unchecked?

Yes. Check "Allow other computer to sync to this computer" and UNCHECK "Always provide time."

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes. Check "Allow other computer to sync to this computer" and UNCHECK "Always provide time."
Ok thats done. Can you answer my other question about the firewall that Fenderman suggested? I'd assume if thats it i'd need an inbound and outbound rule for them?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
why? the whole point of running a NTP server locally is so you dont rely on internet time.. point your cameras at this app and not nettime.pool.ntp.org, that is upstream what nettime uses for its source, then your cameras use this computer as its source.. get it or do I needa draw a picture?

the IP address of the computer with Nettime running, thats the 'NTP Server address' on our cameras, then NetTime syncs with internet.. if anything setup a firewall rule to now block your cameras from all inbound and outbound connections.. presuming you have VPN working.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm sorry I don't get it, i'm not familiar with this type of stuff. I don't understand what is meant about the firewall... I thought it meant that i need to allow the BI PC's firewall to be open to the cameras by adding rules to it. Is that what he meant by it?

I did check the allow other computers to sync box, entered the IP of my BI PC into the server name of the camera but its not showing the correct time. The NetTime app is the correct time whereas the camera that i have the server name in is showing a half hour behind. So I know something is still not right.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You don't need to open any firewall ports because your NTP server, and the client cameras which connect to the NTP server, are all INSIDE your local area network.

Log into your cameras with your browser and set the NTP "Server Address" to the address of the machine which is running NetTime and acting as your local NTP server.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For example, if the machine inside your LAN that is running the NetTime NTP server software is at 192.168.1.100 then enter 192.168.1.100 as the NTP "Server Address" in each of your camera's NTP setting. Save your changes and you will be good to go bro!

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You don't need to open any firewall ports because your NTP server, and the client cameras which connect to the NTP server, are all INSIDE your local area network.

Log into your cameras with your browser and set the NTP "Server Address" to the address of the machine which is running NetTime and acting as your local NTP server.
Ok I get that and its done, but i'm still not showing the correct time on that camera, its a half hour behind. Do i need to change the hostname or ip server in the NetTime app to my server too?

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't see an option for that. I also am trying to test the NTP server in the cameras NTP setting, and its saying test failed.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
make sure you have DST setup correctly

fenderman was saying if you have a local windows firewall running you need to make sure you can host a NTP server.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
make sure you have DST setup correctly

fenderman was saying if you have a local windows firewall running you need to make sure you can host a NTP server.
Ok yeah I do have the Windows firewall running on my BI PC. Is that where those inbound/outbound rules come into play? I'm familiar with that but I didn't see what he meant about the UTP, only TCP and UDP.

Also here's my DST settings, I saw you help someone with this awhile back and adjusted it to these settings.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Daylight saving time starts on the second Sunday in March and ends on the first Sunday in November, with the time changes taking place at 2:00 a.m. local time.. and it should be 1h

open port 123 UDP on your windows firewall..

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
make sure you have DST setup correctly...
Most of the United States begins Daylight Saving Time on the second Sunday in March and reverts to standard time on the first Sunday in November. Is that right Nayr?

- - - Updated - - -

"DST Bias" is your "Offset".

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Alright well that appears to have done it, all the times are correct and the tests work too.

Thanks for helping this idiot figure it out, it's always appreciated!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sweet, now set the interval on your cameras to 1min, so they constantly maintain the exact same time as your Time server.