Network bandwidth terminalogy explain

shaoalan79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can somebody please help me to explain the difference between 'incoming/outgoing bandwidth' for Hikvision NVR.

For example this model:

• DS-7608NI-E2/8P

It said incoming 50mbps, outgoing 80mbps, what constitute the incoming traffic, and what makes the outgoing traffic.

In my understanding: incoming means all the traffic from the IPCs home run into the NVR, outgoing means the traffic for remote viewing from pc or mobile app. Remote viewing is supposed to see the substream only, why outgoing is 80, but incoming is 50.

Another question: when calculate one IPC's bandwidth consumption, does it include mainstream and substream? Says, for a 3MP IPC, normally the mainstream will be something around 4-6mbps, do I have to include the extra substream into the whole bandwidth calculation, say another 0.5mbps for substream, to make the whole bandwidth into 4.5-6.5 for total?

Thanks in advance for any help.

DemonicHawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In my understanding: incoming means all the traffic from the IPCs home run into the NVR, outgoing means the traffic for remote viewing from pc or mobile app.
Correct

Remote viewing is supposed to see the substream only, why outgoing is 80, but incoming is 50.
Remote viewing can be mainstream or substream

Another question: when calculate one IPC's bandwidth consumption, does it include mainstream and substream? Says, for a 3MP IPC, normally the mainstream will be something around 4-6mbps, do I have to include the extra substream into the whole bandwidth calculation, say another 0.5mbps for substream, to make the whole bandwidth into 4.5-6.5 for total?
I don't think I've seen a clear answer for how to calculate the actual bandwidth usage, but from what I've seen on the NVR bandwidth usage stats, the bandwidth consumption is indeed mainstream + substream

Dreamboat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't think I've seen a clear answer for how to calculate the actual bandwidth usage, but from what I've seen on the NVR bandwidth usage stats, the bandwidth consumption is indeed mainstream + substream
Yes, it is exactly like this. The incoming bandwidth is a sum of the main and the sub stream of each camera. Right after you assign a camera to the NVR, it starts to pull both the main and the sub stream of that camera, regardless if this camera is under recording condition, motion detection or other event.

intotech

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm having the same concern - I understand the limitations of the DS7608 and it is not the most powerful unit. When I had 3 cameras at full resolution it was overwhelming the nvr and I could tell because the Live view would not render or it being accessible on the network.

I since dropped down my video settings on the cameras to 1080p/20/4096 and the substream to 640/8/512 and it has been stabilized.

Anyone have any thoughts of best mix of video settings for ds7608? I'm planning to have at least 6 cameras when said and done.

wilderbee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’m having the same issue...same NVR
Is it the case though, that we are downgrading the camera quality to 1080p, just so we can live view the feeds. When the NVR was recording all IPCs at 5MP just fine.
Or is the NVR having a hard time recording these feeds as well.
Guess the question is “is the capability spec on the data sheet for incoming/outgoing/both”?
Cheers.

Vonnnnn

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm also having trouble regarding in incoming/ outgoing bandwidth. I can't understand it clearly. My bad.
Here's the thing, I have 17 IP camera with 4MP resolution and I want it to be shown in my PC as clearly as 4MP camera.
Does the outgoing bandwidth of my NVR affects the resolution? Does it mean that the higher the value of outgoing mbps the more it can relay the quality of video. better?
I won't be using monitor that's why i've ask. Thank you.
I hope you can give me an idea or much better a recommendations.
By the way, the brand is hik-vision and i'll be using ivms-4200 as software.

God bless.