Network Card Name change from Dell

Stev Wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When I go into my asus router (DDWRT may be the same) for example and look up the connected computers my dell computers just show up as DELL with the Mac address. Sure I can find computers just using mac address but is there some place, maybe in the registry that I can change this default "DELL" to something unique for each computer. I'm not talking about computer names etc, but this seems to be coming from the Network Card. Maybe its hard wired in, I don't Know. Does anyone else?

Regards.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Bring up a file explorer, right-mouse button on This PC and select Properties. You should see the computer name listed. To change, select Change Settings. On the System Properties dialog, select the change button.

Stev Wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Bring up a file explorer, right-mouse button on This PC and select Properties. You should see the computer name listed. To change, select Change Settings. On the System Properties dialog, select the change button.
I'm sorry but unless I'm mistaken this is not right and does not work. This is for adding or removing from a domain and for giving the computer a name. This will not change the name that the router sees. Indeed the name here is correct in my comptuer. eg Sales_1. If I could get the router to see this I would be happy but it does not. It only identifies the computer as "Dell" despite the computer name. I think what I'm looking for is Network Adapter device name, but not sure how to change if indeed this is right?
Regards

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You can set the name in the Asus router.

Bring up the network map. Left click the device you want to rename. A box will pop up with options for the name and even for the icon displayed, along with some other options. Just rename it there.

Stev Wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wow that's brilliant. Did not know you could do that.
Thanks.
So just because I would still like to know, Is there any way to change this on windows 10 in the OS.
Regards

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I had a look around in WIn10, both through Control Panel and Device Manager, and didn't see any way to effectively change it.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Fing!

It is a very well known app for cell phones and they also now have a desktop version for PC's. It will scan you network and show every device and you can change the name in Fing to further clarify. And, it is not tied to one router, so if in the future if you get a a new router you won't have to go through and customize everything again. If you make an account, (free) you can even view the device info from a web page

Stev Wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Fing!

It is a very well known app for cell phones and they also now have a desktop version for PC's. It will scan you network and show every device and you can change the name in Fing to further clarify. And, it is not tied to one router, so if in the future if you get a a new router you won't have to go through and customize everything again. If you make an account, (free) you can even view the device info from a web page

Thanks for that.
Although too bad it sees inaccessible to the device it's self.

Still might be nice to label all the devices I have. Lights, nest, iptv, iP phone cameras and more.