Network Design - Tractor Bay

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is that a seperate firewall/router there for the access point ?
I sort of assume the fiber run goes to other part of your network.

Can't you use Vlan trunking and do one firewall at main location and bring the access point traffic to this location over a vlan ? (It will have to go 2x over the fiber link when you wish to view video data from the server there)

It will save you running one hardware box all the time.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is that a seperate firewall/router there for the access point ?
I sort of assume the fiber run goes to other part of your network.

Can't you use Vlan trunking and do one firewall at main location and bring the access point traffic to this location over a vlan ? (It will have to go 2x over the fiber link when you wish to view video data from the server there)

It will save you running one hardware box all the time.
The answer to your first question is no. The router/firewall is intended to service the entire system. There is another AP in my marketing building along with a switch, a modem, and three more cameras.

The part of the system shown in the diagram is the main part located in my tractor bay. There will be at least one VLAN to enable public access for WiFi and maybe one or two cameras. I also intend to use OpenVPN to access my home LAN in order to backup data files on my desk top cloud and my wireless printer.

My system will run with BI. I just received the first two cameras. You can see the Market Shed part of the system here:

Network Node Construction Complete

Last edited: