Network setup advice - NVR, NAS etc..

robdr1

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm in the process of setting up a home network and would appreciate some advice, not a newbie, just getting older and less absorbent :)
I'm pretty comfortable with setting up the basics, subnets, fort forwarding etc. Plus I have you guys and Google.

Below are the beginnings of a network layout and would like some expert input on the best possible way to set this up.

What would you do different?
I'm "assuming" the Router, NVR and Switch will need to be on their own subnets?
Is the D'Link DGS-1210-16 switch overkill? (I see a few more access points and devices being added in the future)
Router is also my DSL modem.
TV's are both newish and DNLA.
NAS will primarily be used as a media server and backup storage of work related files.

CCTV.jpg

Thanks!

Attachments

robdr1

n3wb
Reaction score
No responses, so I "assume" all must be ok with my setup? :)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That looks like a pretty straightforward LAN arrangement.
My only comment would be :
I'm "assuming" the Router, NVR and Switch will need to be on their own subnets?
For a small network where you are not implementing per-device access controls, usually it would be 'flat', with all devices using the same subnet.
Subnetting is usually about scaling, splitting a large network into chunks for more granular management, or implementing access controls by grouping common sets of devices.
But for a home network without controlled external access, I doubt that's necessary.
Is the D'Link DGS-1210-16 switch overkill
Probably, in my view. Not so much for the number of ports, but for the management features that likely won't be used (except maybe link aggregation for the NAS). Unless you just want to experiment with them.

robdr1

n3wb
Reaction score
I like the idea of the NVR being separate. That way I can tuck it out of the way and it has it's own PoE ports etc.