New 4MP DS-2CD3345-I Camera Hikvision NVR Compatibility issue

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just took delivery of a DS-2CD3345-I 4MP camera running v5.3.3 (sticker and in the camera) that I can log into, is ML and defaults to English, I can select 2560*1440, etc. I have a Hikvision 7816N-E1 NVR (ML NVR, hacked to default to English) running 3.0.10 with nine 2xx2 3MP cameras all using 5.2.5 streaming 2048*1536. No issues with the setup except when adding the 4MP camera.

The 4MP cameras adds to the NVR properly and everything seems to work except that the NVR won't allow me to choose a Main Stream(Normal) or (Event) above 704*576 and there is no Substream selection (on both the Web and local VGA interface). So it looks like the Main Stream entry is using the Substream. So the live and recorded video isn't very sharp (duh). It seems as if the NVR isn't compatible with the 4MP camera. iVMS4200 will display the 4MP camera, but only the low res stream that it thinks is the MainStream.

Not sure what to do?

-Use Whoslooking downgrader on the 4MP camera to v5.2.5? I don't know if that will brick the camera and if it does I don't have the original hacked English 5.3.3 to restore.

- Update the NVR to higher firmware version? I'm worried as the NVR is definitely Chinese region (Lang=2) and I don't want to lose the English interface (I know to never restore the NVR to default as I believe that will cause issues)

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure how to fix, 3345-I is a chinese-market camera.

I don't think the downgrader will help because v5.2.5 was out before 4MP cameras came out.

Upgrading the NVR you need to use Hiktools to change the Lang=2, otherwise you won't be able to update it.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Does your DS-2CD3345-I camera have a multiple selection for the compression - and if so is H.264 selected?

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, the camera can select H.265 or H.264. I have it set for H.264. As a test I set it to H.265 and the NVR still received the stream though in the NVR camera video settings menu it still reports the camera as H.264 and same issue, Main Stream resolution is quite limited and there's no substream in the drop down.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a recollection that others have seen a similar problem that was fixed by doing a factory reset.
But I'd worry that it might impact the ML menus of your presumably Chinese camera.

As another test - and this is a useful tool to have anyway - it might be interesting to see what the 'profiles' page shows in the very good Windows open-source tool 'ONVIF Device Manager' from sourceforge.net
And it might also be interesting to see what resolution selections you get if you connect it as 'ONVIF' instead of Hikvision.

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried adding the camera to the NVR via ONVIF port 80 and 8000 but it always says "parameter error" even though I know I am using the correct password. I have a Foscam on the NVR using ONVIF without issue.

ONVIF Device Manager is reporting two streams from the Camera, a mainstream 2560*1440 and substream 704*576.

I'm thinking the issue lies in the NVR?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the issue lies in the NVR?
It may well just be a compatibility issue with the NVR firmware, as you initially thought it might be.
Do you feel inclined to use a factory reset on the camera?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
3345-I just arrived this morning from Ali and I'm not having this issue. I am thinking update the firmware on the NVR, but have never heard or seen a 78xx done before.

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I defaulted the camera (Restore all parameters to default settings). I had to re-enter a new password, IP address, etc. I power rebooted it too. No change.

Not sure if I should update the FW in the DS-7816N-E1 NVR (AARR in serial #) as I'm worried it will change to Chinese (its language flag is 2). I followed your instructions about saving mtdblock2 and creating a new FW using hiktools and I now have a new FW and all my setting saved to disk but I've never tested it. I'm not sure what FW to try. All my other CAMs run 5.2.5 with either the MTD5/6 hack, and one running Whoslooking downgrader that was originally 5.3.0 and one that came from China with a sticker 5.3.0 but running 5.2.5 (no MTD hack). I'm worried that some cameras may then have a language mismatch error with the NVR after a NVR FW update.

Ideas? I think as the 4MP become popular, this issue will hit more of us. I wonder if Whoslooking will do a 5.3.3 downgrader to 5.2.5?

BTW, thanks for all the suggestions, it is appreciated.

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 78xx is the same hardware as the 76xx only produced exclusively for the Asian market. What NVR are you using and what FW rev? Also, what FW is in the camera?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Camera: v5.3.3
NVR: v3.3.4

The problem with the xxx5 cameras is the compatibility (and the cheaper plastic construction but that's less an issue than not working!). I bought this one as a test. The problem is these 4MP are Chinese-only, there are no English versions of them, unlike the xxx2 range.

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like the newer NVR FW is working for you. Is your camera's interface ML defaulting to English (mine is)?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looks like the newer NVR FW is working for you. Is your camera's interface ML defaulting to English (mine is)?
Yes but is ML.

I don't think it's as easy as using v3.3.4, Hikvision can be a pain when things go wrong, they can be even more of a pain when mixing these ones because the firmware might be a red-herring.

If you update it might still not work, but at least we know it's not v3.3.4

Updating it might work because it has reset your device during the update. With these it really could be anything.

Kyle

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm really surprised that with the release of the new 4mp cameras, they haven't released firmware for most NVRS to record at 4mp.. My LTN7716 will only see the camera if I set the resolution to 2mp.. If I try 4mp it says "stream not supported "

ibuyufo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I ordered the DS-7716NI-I4/16P and DS-2CD-2742FWD-IS and I'm hoping it at least come with some new firmware to let me use the cameras at 4MP.

Kyle

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just ended up ordering a new nvr myself that will support the 4mp cameras. . I'll just sell the old one.. oh well

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I upgraded my NVR FW from 3.0.10 to 3.3.2 via the web interface (Firefox) and the NVR rebooted and remained in English. All my settings were preserved, even my password. I then upgraded to 3.3.4 with the same result. The DS-2CD3345-I 4MP camera was correctly recognized under both of the newer FWs, Main Stream and Substreams are now correct.

Only thing that I've noticed "broken" is the email portion. I have it setup to email me on HDD errors or illegal logins. It will send me an illegal login email if I attempt it from the local interface (VGA interface) but fails to send me an email if I perform an illegal login from the Web interface, which did work on 3.0.10.

All in all I'm very pleased, thanks to all that helped.

frank10

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I found this camera at 60€! It's a very low price...:
http://www.ebay.it/itm/2015-Multi-language-Original-Hikvision-DS-2CD3345-I-Full-HD-4MP-Dome-IP-Camera-/161851897340?hash=item25af1ff5fc

But in the spec they say:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0.07Lux @(F1.2,AGC ON) ,0 Lux with IR;0.028 Lux @(F2.0,AGC ON),
0 Lux with IR
[/FONT]

Shouldn't be the 4MP sensor 0.01Lux @ (F1.2, AGC ON)??
Is this a different sensor or did they put wrong spec?

Maybe it's different 4MP because also the resolution is different:
20fps (2688×1520) in DS-2CD2342WD-I whilst here they declare [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]25fps(2560×1440)[/FONT].

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
All my settings were preserved, even my password.
A strong recommendation - if you have not already done so, now export a copy of the device configuration, and store in a safe place, with an indication of the firmware version running at the time.
The update via the web GUI very helpfully preserves and converts all the common configuration settings, including the menu language - but saved configurations are firmware-version-specific, so cannot be applied when different firmware is running.
So with the copy of the firmware you applied, and the saved device configuration, you will have a backup of the current good state.